• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Striped Marlin off the Three Kings

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mullins

Mar 4, 2004
Thought you guys might like to see this, it's the striped marlin I shot at the Kings last friday. At 156.6kg, it should be a new WR if all goes well.
Here's some ammunition for all those advocates of euro guns out there: it was shot with a 120cm imersion gun, 27m of float line and a ronstan float (all the big gear was back on the boat, I was just having a quick dive at the Kings before we headed out after marlin). Took 2hrs 30mins to land - finished it with a Riffe shot to the head, hehe.

Attachments

• marlin 003.jpg
    marlin 003.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 451
Sweet!!!! Congratulations!!
I hope all goes well with claiming the record.

Water here is +2C with 0.5m viz.......great!
All that nice blue stuff makes me pretty envious.

Cheers,
Mikko

Yes, I got it smoked and it's some of the best fish I've ever tasted. Got a fair bit of it though, I think it came to about 50 kilos of smoked meat so all the friends and relatives are having it forced on them as well!

Reactions: Murat and shaneshac
HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will get instant KARMA from ME.

Mullins please send me your autograph LOL :D

Did first shot go all the way through the fish?

Any probs with me including the pic onto my screensaver?

Great Catch DUDE

Hope WR is approved

Hiya

Well done!!!! Beautifull fish!!!!

Now where did i put my passport again..............:D :D :D :D

Regards
miles

Originally posted by Mullins
Yes, I got it smoked and it's some of the best fish I've ever tasted. Got a fair bit of it though, I think it came to about 50 kilos of smoked meat so all the friends and relatives are having it forced on them as well!

thats very nice...

That's a beautiful fish! What kind of bands did you have your gun set up with and from what distance did you pull the trigger? It must have taken the gun right out of you hand! I hope you get the WR!

Angelos

Moullin... Moullin... Moullin... Moullin... Moullin... !!!!!

Hey... I don't have taste that yet!!!! :p

What Moulin is not telling about is about his another gun...

He spend the last winter building a superb but massive blue water long gun. We had a dive a few weeks back, and he was carrying this huge thing to shoot some pink Mao Mao... Then he take this trip to use it... and for some raison he decide to get some kingy with the wimpy one???

He must have done pretty well his job, because the rig was full of wick spots: like the ring brassed by his father that came apart and he fixed with duck tape... With this really doggie rig he manage to get pull out sea something like 2 km and for about 2h30 on a short float line (a 2 cents rope...) and a crappie plastic float. He did a magnificent shoot that place the weight of the fish on the bend of the spear and not on flopper.

Then I say Bravo Moullin, you did an amaizing job! :king

And now that you don't need your long gun, I will be nice with you and take care of it...:D

Awesome fish! I certainly hope you get your world record!

Which Imersion gun was it?

hi

Wow great fish mate and great bluewater as well :cool:

cheers

Very nice fish!! Cogratulations for that nice catch, I just wish i could have been there!!!

Saludos

Roberto

Thanks for your comments, guys!
No Shaneshac, no problem with using that photo so feel free to do with it what you like.
Yea, Pablo's right, I spent ages making a bluewater gun then left it behind on the boat for that one dive. The gun I used was a customised Imersion challenger with a carbon barrel, 21mm picasso rubbers and a RA shaft with a double wrap of 400lb mono. So it's a bit of a mongrel gun! I've just had it checked out, the screw that holds the barrel in had to be replaced and the plugs in the barrel had been forced right into the middle by the pressure, but apart from that it was fine.
The shot went right through the fish from about 3 metres away, just missing the spine - it's the bottom shaft in the picture.

Dave

Didn't have much time, but popped it into photoshop for some auto-correction. If I have time later I'll try to retouch the image & lighten the back of the fish.

Attachments

• fuzzified.jpg
    fuzzified.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 303
Huge Congratulations to you, Mullin, for an awesome catch!!! :king
The pic is a beauty.
I hope you enter it on the DB Calendar Contest.
Fuzz did a nice job lightening up the colors. The original is compelling, though; the darkness gives the shot a feeling of mystery and wonder that is hard to resist.
-- Let us know the situation with the World Record!
You must be feeling miles high after this hunt!
And with good reason!! :cool:

that thing would scare me out of the water for weeks. if i could pull the trigger i would have blown it from nerves man thats how to do it. thats is one big fish. hope the wr goes throught you earned it,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT