• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stuck spear removal tool

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Drewventures

Jan 19, 2024
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how often you've gotten a spear stuck, to the point where you've needed a tool to remove it? I'm in the market for a new knife, and wondering if I should get one specifically with the spear removal slot like the Rob Allen X blade. Do spears often get that stuck? Any stuck spear removal tips, or diy tools?

Cheers

I know spearfishermen who spear in rivers, lakes and other inland water bodies can have problems when a miss sinks a shaft into a sunken tree. The tips can be hard to extract and need a big effort to get them out on occasion, at times requiring a switch to another shaft before the original is retrieved. Most extraction gadgets try to jam on the shaft in order to pull them out, but I have never used one, or needed one over rock or sand. Coral may be a different story as the shaft could bite into it. There is a soft bottom substrate that I have sunk a shaft into with a miss, but I could easily pull the shaft out and a chunk of whatever it was broke off with it out of a short cliff rising up out of a sandy bottom, the top of the cliff and the area behind it covered in a seagrass meadow.

Last edited:
As Pete said it may depend on the type of bottom where you dive, but it my over 70 years of diving, I can't recall getting a shaft stuck where I needed a tool to retrieve it. And that included 3 years in Hawaii where I was often shooting fish in holes in the coral. I suppose it must happen somewhere though, since so many dive knives offer a shaft extractor.

Reactions: Mr. X
Just watched the knife video, the slot doesn't hinder the knife in any way, so you might as well buy it. I have dive knives with line cutters that have never had to be used, but handy to have as you never know when they might come in handy. I have been snagged on fishing lines, but just used the main blade to free myself.

I only once got a spear stuck, in rocks after a successful shot! . A tool would not have helped though.

I had to surface, rest and breath for a while, then dive down again (at least once). After unsuccessfully fiddling around to free it, I did fear it might not be freeable. Eventually, I dived then carefully but firmly and very forcefully I pulled it out. Fortunately my prey and lightweight 6.3mm spear were undamaged. . Phew!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…