• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Subprof - lateness in delivery (again)!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

levy

Sep 3, 2008
:rcard:head:(I have never dealt with a more frustrating company in my entire life. It started initially when I bought a pair of Millennium Ice Fins. I told them from the start I needed them urgently but they neglected to tell me they were out of stock until a couple of weeks later when I became anxious to receive my fins and asked about the wherabouts of my fins that they informed me they were out of stock. This is following the 15 email affair where I was merely trying to give them instructions to my FPO AP military address. Despite me explicitly explaining to use the address exactly as I sent it to them, each time they managed to distort the verification email to the point of exasperation. Finally about 2 months later when I was tracking the fins they had sent them to the wrong address somewhere hundreds of miles away. Luckily I was nervously tracking the package online and saw the mistake. I called the shipping company and told them of the mistake and even more luckily they hadn't delivered the package yet and we were able to remedy the problem. When the package finally arrived it wasnt it in a box but wrapped in some paper. I opened it to find scratches from insertion of the blades and scratches from the delivery all over the fins. And to top it all off they told me a day before the fins came they mistakenly sent me the wrong footpocket size. I just resigned to take the fins and pray nothing happened to them to make good on the warranty. Unfortunately the fates frowned upon me and about a month later the fins broke while surface finning (nowhere near the bottom) So reluctantly I did my best to leave Subprof out of the equation but much to my dismay Omer told me I had to use the company I bought the fins from to make good on the warranty. So I wrote them back,hoping for the best and fearing for the worst but as expected the latter is what came. I asked what process I needed to start in order to use the 3 year warranty that they advertise proudly. They asked to see pictures of the fins so I gladly showed them the broken remnant of my Ice Fins. After no response for about 5 days I inquired about the progress of the fins. They replied they are waiting for a response from the supplier. After waiting another 5 days with no response, I urged them again to respond due to my urgent need for new blades and their obligation as a responsible company. Now I'm on my 9th email regarding this and incredulously I received an email saying can you send photos of the fins attached to the very slew of emails that my photos are apart of. At this point I'm incredulous and want everyone here to avoid the horrendous fate I'm subjected to until I receive new (backup) Ice Fins. Sorry I'm a little long winded but I just want the word to get out about their deplorable customer service. SUBPROF makes shitty companies seem golden. :rcard:(:vangry

G'day mate,

IMO avoid omer all together, their standards have dropped.

I ordered a wetsuit from subprof, 4 months later and i still hadn't recieved it. Absolute B.S so i asked for my money back and that is what i got much to my relief.

Reactions: strangelove
It's good to hear you walked away not quite so scathed. But its absurd to have to wait 4 months and than never get your product. It seems like a group of idiots got together and brainstormed the worst way to run a company and they all unanimously decided on SUBPROFS method.

Brutal! Sounds like a gong show. I do like some OMER products, but I'd avoid the ICE FINS for sure.
Get yourself a nice set of fiberglass fins.... maybe PM jimdoe2you in Fla; I guarantee he will take the time and effort to help you out at least with solid advice.

Brutal! Sounds like a gong show. I do like some OMER products, but I'd avoid the ICE FINS for sure.
Get yourself a nice set of fiberglass fins.... maybe PM jimdoe2you in Fla; I guarantee he will take the time and effort to help you out at least with solid advice.

You can't go wrong with Jim !

I made an order with Subprof three months ago.

Got third of ordered items within couple of weeks.
Got another third 5 weeks later - after my intervention.
There are still few items outstanding.

The excuse for such delay is that Cressi is out of stock on those items.
So, I sent email directly to Cressi and they assured me Subprof should have those items.

I am about to cancel the remainder of my order. I'll just approach another Cressi dealer.

All the items I've ever bought from Subprof have been in good condition.

[It turned out to be Cressi supply problem after all - nothing to do with Subprof.]

Last edited by a moderator:
jimdoe goes WAY above and beyond the call. You need gear sent to Japan? He'll find a way and spend the time talking to you so you actually get what you need and want.

I received gear from JimDoe here in Italy (polespear, floatline, ss buckle and minor stuff). I was impressed by the loving care with which the parcel had been made: the packing and wrapping were impeccable, never seen such a well made package and I'm talking seriously.
Some may think that the package is not much relevant. Not true. This tells you much about the care of that guy for his customers: he packed the gear as carefully as if it were his own personal gear to be shipped.
Thumbs up for JimDoe!!!

I have had problems with SUBPROF but to be fair there stuff is a lot cheaper than most & does eventually arrive!
However you can find many such post as yours on db!
PS my ice fins are great.

I feel I have to spend a word or two in favor of Omer. I am happy with my Omer stuff (7 words).
I'm aware that the company has now grown up to be the world's best selling spearfishing gear manufacturer, the production has been globalized (parts and items being made in many different countries) and it's no more the small artisan factory where every detail was under direct control of a few specialized craftsmen. Some products (on really large numbers) come out defective, some items are cheap and poor.
But the average quality is still good for the price, with peaks of true excellence for some items, my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Ok spago, only two words from me about Omer: market protectionism

the world, like it or not, is small and globalized, i can buy a footpocket in russia, or a tin or anchovies in Spain. Why then can't I buy Omer online via Euro retailers and have it shipped to the USA?

(ooohh i'm sounding angry but am not really)

Reactions: strangelove
The way I see it is omer comes up with a lot of inovations, that sometimes have a price, here in U.S. Mark Labocceta with replace any defective gear with no questions ask. No excuse for subprof, the scubastore is really relliable. But bettween jimdoe2you and scubastore if they have the same product, I would pick Jim.

Spago, I still have regrets about not buying your gun !

Re JimDoe - he LOVES packaging. I have heard that he started the business just to conceal his need to package things from his wife. I suggest hanging onto any packaging Jim has done - it may one day be recognized for the passionate art it is.

The Omer stuff i have is all first rate. I bought Ice fins shortly after they came out and dove year 'round in them with air temps down to -20c and water temps down to 2c. I've had them frozen to the bed of my pickup truck over night and had to peel them off to go diving. They are beat up, scratched and still working great.

No doubt a big plus for Omer here in the States is Mark Laboccetta's excellent support. One of the problems Omer has is there is a lot of their kit around. The more you've got out there, the more likely something is to break. They also innovate a lot, and in the process of trying to remain competitive in a niche market, move some of their manufacturing around. Bound to be some trial and error in that.

Reactions: spaghetti
i second every word about jim doe..subprof have been mostly good with me..and like fox said they have good prices and good variety, and i know they are well regarded in spain..i guess where they and others are often trapped is great customer satisfaction for overseas business..this needs some infrastructure that a lot of these stores cant handle, so ends up they are good most of the time, but in some cases they could really mess up..i do know that they are honest at least not crooks..
Regarding the omer ice..its very surprizing,..i love that fin and find then really really good for most spearfishing..but my friend Ihab for instance, broke 3 blades already!!! all surface swimming?!?!?! hes a pretty muscular guy but still doesnt make sense?

My local dive shop doesn't stock Omer anymore because of restocking issues. The company sent the wrong model and size of a set of fins, and wanted to charge an exorbitant amount to restock the fins that weren't ordered in the first place. I guess the shop owner and the Omer rep had words over the whole thing. Pity. It was convenient to have a local Omer outlet.

Re JimDoe - he LOVES packaging. I have heard that he started the business just to conceal his need to package things from his wife. I suggest hanging onto any packaging Jim has done - it may one day be recognized for the passionate art it is.
So true! Look what he's done to the Ft.Lauderdale cathedral one night he couldn't get asleep! No wonder people moaning "give em sleep pills to that Jim Doe!!!" :vangry
christo.jpeg

Here's another vote for Jimdo2you. I've bought Omer, and othr, gear from him in the past and the service has always been first rate.

Now, he just needs to get a bigger mailbox. ;)

My ICE fins are still going strong, but they don't get much use lately since I bought a pair of Mustang 30's- from Jimdoe2you.

Jon

Good question. Last time I saw him was in Campbell River BC at Tim Horton's (coffee shop) with Connor Davis. They were on the way to the ferry over to Vancouver to get on a plane. Unfortunately a ferry caught fire so we were all delayed haha!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT