• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

suit lube?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
What types of suit lubrication have divers found work the best to slide on a freediving suit?
Thanks,
Jon

Lube

Hi Jon; since no one's answering, I'll answer. I don't use lube anymore, because I bought a Picasso Bio Termic suit. They are open-cell metal lined, so it is uneccessary. What I used before was half water and half conditioner. Usually the cheapest conditioner I could find. I highly suggest not using your wife's good conditioner, for obvious reasons. I have heard of people using talc, but I don't think it's a good idea to breathe this stuff, especially for freedivers. Cheers, Erik

Thanks Eric,

Do you use any special brand of conditioner? Do certain scents react with skin or scare away fish?

I have a rubber-in Esclapez 5mm suit that is a pain to get on. I know what you mean about the Picasso suit. I have a Henderson "gold-core" that I use for scuba. It is the warmest wetsuit I have ever had hands down.
I have been eyeing up a new Picasso suit, but I just had to replace a drysuit zipper and I upgraded my Spyder to a Stinger- which flooded. Once these are paid off I can think about a new suit.
What thickness and model Picasso suit do you have?

Jon

Hi Jon, I've heard that artificial scents can scare fish, but I haven't seen any proof. I use whatever is cheapest. For all I know, these scents might attract fish! All I know is that if I can't get my suit on then I'm not going to see ANY fish(LOL).
The Henderson suits are made from the same Yamamoto 45 rubber(Neoprene is a brand name) and have the same metal spray. The main difference, I think, is the design and cut of the suits. Picasso suits are cut for bends in the arm, etc., and as you know have an attached hood and no zippers. I have the Hombra Termic in a 5mm suit. It is without a doubt the only wetsuit I will ever wear. Last weekend diving season opened in the mountains near where I live. Ice just came off the lake and it was snowing(Altitude 5000', water temp 2 to 4 celsius...about 35 to 39 F). Drysuit divers were in and out in 30 minutes. I spent an hour fdiving to -65'with a 9lb belt before I got cold. I also have 5mm Termic socks...my feet were very warm. The only parts of me that got cold earlier were my hands, which were covered with another brand of 5mm gloves.
Apparently the Hombra is being discontinued for a slightly different model. Mine cost 558 US$, which works out to 809Can$, but it was money well spent. Roger Yazbeck phoned me at home to make sure everything was correct on my order...very pleasant and proffesional. I needed a semi- custom suit(52 long) which he did not charge me the extra 10% for. Also, I paid no freight, duty, or GST(7% federal tax), so there were no surprises. Funny, I just sent in a Viking to get a new zipper installed, so I guess I'll be paying that off too! Cheers, Erik

Eric,

It sounds like we're diving the same kind of water. I am in the great lakes area. I was out last Wednesday in 41 degree water.
I just ordered the 5mm boots and 3mm gloves through Roger. Maybe if I sell one of my other suits I can afford to upgrade.
Do you have any experience with their carbon fiber fins?
Jon

Fins

Jon, I have never used carbon fins. I use a pair of Cressi's and my wife has a pair of OMER Tuna Ice; the see-through ones. Hers are quite stiff and are apparently comparable to carbon regarding pliability and power. I have heard that the carbon fins are easy to break, but I notice that a lot of them now come with protectors on the edges. I am interested in the glass and kevlar fins that Fred Buyle and Tanya Streeter are using now, but I don't know much about them. What are you using? Erik:) ps...good to hear I'm not the only one diving in these conditions.

Eric,

I use a pair of Picasso Black line fins that I love. I also have a pair of black Esclapez that are only OK. I like the blades but not the foot pocket. The Picassos have a nice firm foot pocket.
I have heard good things about the ice fins being as stiff as carbon fiber, but a lot stronger. I belive that they are also about half the price. What are the foot pockets like on them?
I have seen pictures of Tanya's new fins. I don't know any of the details though. Any good sites to check them out on? How much do those go for?

Jon

Fins

Jon, the fins are called Guidone and are made out of fiberglass and carbon fibre, but that's all I know about them.
The Tuna Ice cost 145 US$ last year; I'm sure they are more now...they've changed the blade a bit. The foot pockets are ok, they look the same as the Picasso and Esclapez. They are not as comfortable as the Cressi's. If you find the Guidone's somewhere, let me know? Cheers, Erik:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT