• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suit Thickness to Dive in LA / CA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fish-hunter

May 25, 2016
Hi Guys,

I'll have a business trip to LA from Europe for a couple of month very soon. I want to try my hobbie (spearfishing) there in LA.
  1. What a suit thickness is necessary to dive in LA? I have 3, 5, 7mm omer suits for spearfishing.
  2. It seems I'll need a new gun for that. My gun is omer airbaler 70. What guns do you use?
  3. What license do you have for a spearfishing and what period of year is locked for spearfishing?

Hi, in the LA area your going to want a 5 mil suit in summer.

Your 70cm gun is too small. I recommend 90cm for reef spearing, or for blue water a 110 and above.

Spearfishing is generally legal all year in the ocean, however there are special regulations regarding each species, as well as special marine conservation zones where you cannot take any fish. Here is a link with maps of those zones, regulations and license info. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/fishing/ocean/regulations/sport-fishing

I believe non resident licenses can be purchased in person at bait shops or online for a day period or week long period. You will have to check.

Also if you happen to go in the fall there's spiny lobster you can get by hand. Southern California has really good action, have fun.

Mid 60's F pretty Much year round. The weather doesn't really change often, but I would keep an eye on water conditions. Go to magicseaweed.com or swell info.com to get the water forecast

Thank you for the info. It seems 60 F quite cold, but I'm not sure about as it is hot sun on the surface. Usually we use 7mil suit when water temperature less than 64 F (18 C here). But when water is 60 F, temperature of air is about 50F here.

It might be hot staying in 7 mil suit in LA on the surface.

The water is currently 64f. Will get a bit warmer toward autumn, but a 7 mil suit will be just fine too. When I get hot, I just flush some water into my suit at the wrist and ankles.

Last edited:
The places I dive in SoCal have had temperatures of 63 F lately. For me that means my 7 mm suit, although some of my friends use 5 mm. By late summer it can be up to around 68 to 70 F.

Last edited:
Nice! Could you tell me, what spearguns do you use in LA (models / brands)? And could you suggest me some shops in LA where I could buy the speargun?

I just bought recently a Riffe padauk Competitor 54". Made in LA. Good open water gun, or you could go a bit smaller, like the 51", and use it in the reefs too. The Riffe store is in LA. They will have tons of gun options and other freedive gear. Probably one of the best options in my opinion.

It depends on what you want to shoot, but I'd say that most divers who hunt white sea bass and yellowtail use multi-band mid handled wood guns between 55 and 60 inches long. I use Wongs, but they aren't carried in dive shops, so you wouldn't be able to buy one after you arrived. The same goes for many of the other brands- they have to be ordered from the gun maker direct. In my opinion, the Riffe mid handle guns tend to be underweight and overpowered and have accuracy problems, but some of my friends like the newer Riffe Euro guns. And then of course there are the Euro type guns such as Rob Allen, Pathos, etc.

It depends on what you want to shoot, but I'd say that most divers who hunt white sea bass and yellowtail use multi-band mid handled wood guns between 55 and 60 inches long. I use Wongs, but they aren't carried in dive shops, so you wouldn't be able to buy one after you arrived. The same goes for many of the other brands- they have to be ordered from the gun maker direct. In my opinion, the Riffe mid handle guns tend to be underweight and overpowered and have accuracy problems, but some of my friends like the newer Riffe Euro guns. And then of course there are the Euro type guns such as Rob Allen, Pathos, etc.

All good points. It really depends on what you want to hunt for. Do you want big game, like white sea bass? Those are big fish, require lots of time, patience, more gear like a float line with spectra, and a giant hand cannon. I would also recommend a slip tip. Would hate to lose a WSB or have it bend up a nice shaft! However if you want to shoot ling cod, cabezon, rockfish or halibut, you can get away with a smaller gun and basic flopper tip.

The Riffe guns are admittedly a bit light. Overpowered? Well you could lose a band to help with that, as the Competitor comes with 3 bands. My main complaint with the Riffe was the epoxy job. Seemed significantly thinner than even my AB Biller. but if you dont plan on hunting big pelagic fish routinely (like myself), Riffes are very affordable and well made. Plus its a gun that you could walk out of the store with in LA, and its made locally which is cool cause it doubles as a souvenir! :D

If you have a big ol budget for your speargun, and enough time to special order, those Wong guns Bill mentioned are top of the line. Plan on spending around $1,000 for a proper Wong and setup. Theres also Sea Sniper, which I hear are great guns. Always wanted one.

Hi Guys!
Thanks for the advices to everyone! I'm in LA now (Burbank) I've bought a riffe 110. And seems my hardworking time is finished now :)
Would you like to go for a snorkeling or a spearfishing this weekend? :)

Unfortunately I'm too far north to make it to your area on short notice. However last week I was spearfishing Catalina island and saw some good action. If I were you, I would get on a charter to make the best of your time here. the Sand Dollar dive boat has a trip on the 24th to the Channel Islands I believe. you could also call Aeries sport fishing and see if Leo could take you out on short notice. Good luck

For what its worth, I went out yesterday and the temp was 66.

BTW, yesterday I saw a perfect example of having the right tool for the job. I had two dive buddies aboard. One was a very experienced old friend and he was using a 60" Wong with three bands. The other guy was a newbie and had a 70 cm Pathos. The visibility was horrible at our coastal kelp beds so we ran about 20 miles offshore looking for floating kelp paddies. We finally found one and it had a big school of yellowtail, but they were unusually skittish. The guy with the 60" gun hit a fish around 35 pounds, although it ended up tearing off. The guy with the 70 cm gun hit one too, but his shaft just bounced off without penetrating. He said "now I see why you guys have those big guns."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT