• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suitable wetsuit for quarry dive and steep themocline.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J Campbell

Sep 17, 2001
I'm going on a quarry dive to Dutch Springs Pennsylvania for a freedive outing. It has a steep thermocline there,
warm on top, cold on bottom (95 feet). I'm fine with my 5mm wetsuit, even a little warm when the sun comes out.
But my buddy worries that a 3mm wetsuit won't be enough.
So my question is for folks who have dived in similar conditions - steep thermocline, 75 degrees at top, 45 at bottom.
Is 3mm enough? Any comments welcome.

I did a 50m dive yesterday in a 18->5 degree quarry in a 3mm. I noticed the cold but there as no "bite" on the skin or any real shock when hitting the thermoclines. No worse than. 5mm really.

Sorry I don't have Fahrenheit temp but it's similar

Nathan -Thanks for the answer. Do you think you think you would still be warm after 2 or 3 hours?

Nathan -Thanks for the answer. Do you think you think you would still be warm after 2 or 3 hours?

It depends on the surface temperature. When te quarry was 21 surface I was teaching beginner courses in a 3mm, now it dropped to 17 surface and I'm cold after 1 dive. Yesterday I actually finished the session with a second 5mm top, so 8mm total.

Surface temp is the determinant. If you are pleasantly warm on the surface, super cold on the bottom is no problem. You feel it, but its not long enough to really chill you down.

I did some diving in a Wisconson quarry, 75F on the surface, two thermoclines, down to around 34
F at 80 ft. Several hours of diving each day and I'm skinny. A new, custom 3 mil Elios was fine.

Reactions: Nathan Vinski
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT