• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sunny South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi All

Every summer in SA, a British paraglider pilot arranges a group of brits and Europeans to escape the Euro-winter and head to South Africa for a few weeks of flying, which works out nicely for them due to the strength of the Euro. I have been doing some charters for locals in Capetown, but I am thinking of putting together an option for a holiday for European and US based spearo's to come out here on a buget holiday ( IE, no 5 star hotels) and where the emphasis is not nessesarily shooting the biggest or most fish, but rather experiencing the most beautiful and unique places and destinations for spearing in the Western Cape.
My plan is to arrange accomodation at classic little country-style houses enroute, with the trip planned to show you our 'must-see' places. Examples of the itinery would be a dive with Raggard-Tooth sharks in the 2 Oceans Aquarium, a spearing trip on a traditional fishing boat from the Harbour into False Bay ( with hand-line fishing an option), a day-out with Miles at Cape Point or Dassen Island:D , a trip and cage-dive with Great Whites at 'Shark Alley', Gansbaai, and a Tuna-trip to the Blue water 30 miles off Cape Point. A sunset cruise and spearing session on a 54 ft Schooner will introduce you to the Atlantic shoreline off Cape Town.

From here, up the Garden Route to spear along the reefs off some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere,hunt Garrick, mussclecracker, Steenbras etc.

I am curious to gauge whether or not anyone would be interested in a holiday such as the above for a DB group?? (ie, where I can arrange deals with mates for free accomodation wherever possible etc etc.) Maybe a pipe-dream, but having a bunch of DB spearo's out for a week/2 week tour of the cape would be epic !!

Jeff
:D

Reactions: Pablo
thats a very very nice idea;) wish to have a time for it:waterwork

That sounds like a good idea Colin and I would be interested, we have been mulling over a trip to your sunny shores, we were thinking the winter after next rather than this winter but who knows ;) keep us posted

that could be fantastic!!! and epic...

I can't miss Miles shooting fish on the 2 oceans aquarium... roflrofl no way!!! :D

I'm in!!! and maybe my chance to met some SA pretty flowers... :eek:

Com'n Alison it could be fun... I will say a word to Sara and see if works for her...

The problem is timing... as always :hmm

Reactions: Alison
Would Love to go!

Great Idea Jeff!

I've always wanted to hunt in waters with some of the biggest sharks in the world and with some of the best hunters. In addition, I would like to see the country and meet its people as well. What time of the year would be the best time to go as far as weather is concerned?

Perhaps The Milester can tag along and show us the ropes;)

Keep us posted as far as details and it may be on my things to do list soon.

Stay Safe,

yes!

i'll be home in december but also will be back in SA probably around end january/beg February...

hmmm... will need to see where i'll be ..

for when are you planning this? need to check with :inlove and see...

great idea, but what would be the price tag on it?
otherwise it sound like a dream come true :D

jo' que suerte! aun asi.. con 500USD podrias estar con bluecape y su camping y viajar por alli... tendras de sobras.

When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???When???

Oh, come on...............i can't wait that long!!!:D :D :D :D

Oh yes, not forgetting a trip to the infamous seal island, where the documetary Air Jaws was done!!!

Oi Pablo, every time i go to the aquaruim, they won't let me take my speargun in............:waterwork :waterwork

Rolo, a trip to the Famous RABITECH workshop could also be of interest!!!!!

Regards
miles

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison
500 dolares solamente? no mientas?! enserio?...la offerta es muy provocativa.... pero eso incluye el ticket?

que harias tu si estuvieras en mi lugar?

Originally posted by miles

Oi Pablo, every time i go to the aquaruim, they won't let me take my speargun in............:waterwork :waterwork

i have the same problem....:duh

no... el billete (de donde vienes? de Kuwait?) te saldra a unos 600/800/1000 dolares.. depende la oferta que puedes conseguir.

COR :D
Miles, Rolo, Pablo and Sara now that would be a trip I wouldnt forget :friday

hahahahaha!

yeah... it would be a complete blast!

loads of diving, fishing and :friday

not to mention....:naughty

:chatup :chatup :chatup :chatup :chatup

hey Ali you should get married in Cape Town...

That would be a blast! I'd love to come too, we'll all die laughing, but who cares! :D :D :D We should film this and it would be freediveing's answer to "The Endless Summer". In fact Jeff, I'm sure you could get a local film producer to make a documentary of the whole thing. It would be a world wide blockbuster. Titled of course:

"Sun, Sex and Sharks in SA" or more conservatively:

"Who the heck would come to SA for freediving and what is freediving anyway?

"Strange Migrations - The Freediving Way."

"Hypnotized or Waterized? - SA's Lure of the Deep"

"SA: Home for Watery Wanderers."

and so on and so forth....

hard to stop once ya start....

Adrian

Last edited:
Reactions: Pablo and Alison
Jeff,
Here's a map I found on internet, I don't know if it's large enough but it would be nice to make some red dots where you are thinking of taking people so we could have an idea. It would be a beautiful way of seeing SA.

Adrian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT