• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Super Carb to A .............

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SotaDiver

Oct 3, 2008
I have a super Carbine, (First Gun) and I'm in the market for a new, more competetive set up. I was recommended a Rob Allen Tuna or Omer Excalibur which i have been leaning towards. Now, I'm new but I came across the Rob Allen Dbl band Vecta which is still just about in my price range. Any suggestions. Thanks..

--Tristan--

The Rob Allen Tuna is a double band railgun with the Vecta handle!

From Rob Allen's (now awkward )website, Rob Allen spearguns, railguns and other spearfishing and freediving accessories.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the number/size of rubbers, you can always change them later. I have a Sparid which came with 1x16mm but now has 1x20mm (I prefer 1x16mm), the spear has double notches so I could fit 2x16mm rubbers - although a thicker spear might be better for that(?).

If you plan to get a long one (90cm+) you should probably at least consider the (considerably ) more expensive carbon barrel option if your budget allows. Aluminium works fine tho'.

I own mainly RA & Omer equipment, both are generally very good (above average) but have different strengths. RAs are built strong to handle big fish but are consequently a bit heavier handling. I reckon the Excalibur would be the considerably cheaper option. If the price were the same or close, I would go for the Rob Allen. If you plan to get several guns and this is going to be the small one, or if money is tight, the Excalibur would be fine - it has a good reputation, it is the gun I would suggest to a beginner as their first gun (provided it is relatively cheap). But you are comparing apples and oranges I think. The Omer Cayman is more like that RA (in price & spec.) - it has an advanced constant pressure trigger & beefy ergo pistol grip, it is, I suppose "state of the art" being a very recent design & Omer are pushing the design envelope more than most companies.

If I were planning to spear a lot in Florida, I think I would get a fairly long RA or Cayman (or Rabitech or similar), 100/110cm maybe - perhaps longer if your water is very clear. Hopefully one of our Florida spearos will find this thread (you should have put "Rob Allen", "Omer" and "Florida" in the title!) I think Florida Freedivers is the US RA importer (they have an account on this forum but I forget the name), so they should be able to offer you a good deal. Forum member MarkL is the US Omer importer and likes to keep his customers delighted, as does forum member JimDoe2You who I think sometimes supplies Rabitech (& pos. RA) gear. There is also a new US importer (Manta/Marlin/...? There have been several posts and a thread on this recently. Worth looking into, they have a website) that import the equivalent of Rabitech. Also Hammerhead (in Hawaii?). I've always liked the Sumora website (they have a forum account, Eric?) they used to do RA but now do Rabitech I think. There is another good site on the west coast (Northwest Divers/NorthPacific??). Not to mention the fancy Riffe & Wong wooden guns. Lots more choices in the US now than even a couple of years ago -- when choice seemed uncharacteristically limited there (& prices uncharacteristically high).

You might also want to consider the availability & cost of spares (rubbers, spears, wishbones, trigger mechs, muzzles, spear line). Prob. easy to find in Florida. And of course, there is always the web these days. [Americans can buy abroad too!]

[For the record I have 2 Omer XXV's which are super slim (25mm barrels), super lightweight (carbon fibre), to suit to our fast, modest sized fish & murky water - not available in the USA though - maybe your fish are just too big]

Last edited:
i have the rob allen vecta 110 ally and a omer cayman 90 ally. the RA is a heavier, sturdier gun, although the two tubes look the same. if your potencial fish are over 20lbs go for the RA, otherwise the Omer will be fine

does anyone know if the RA Tuna gun can take a 7mm shaft instead of the 7.5mm one it comes with from the factory???

99% sure they will

Thanks man i will contact them to be sure. The 7.5 is way too thick for my hunting grounds. So i thought i would go for a Tuna 100cm with 7mm shaft and twin 16mm bands, that way i can load just 1 of the bands for inshore hunting

i use their 6.6mm shafts in a 90cm omer, and they are great. I hate swapping back and forth between the RA (flopper down) and 'normal' (flopper up) shafts as I seem to spend 6 months missing every other shot. All about 2" too high.

Reactions: Milan
Do u have twin 16mm bands on the RA 110?? What range does it have??

yes, twin 16mm bands, no idea on range, I have never been able to understand that concept. It is very 'on' with one wrap of line, less 'on' with two. Depends on so many factors.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…