• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Super Freediver – part Fly!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
Remember the sci-fi movie “The Fly”? First it was a 1958 black and white movie about this scientist who invented a teleportation device and accidentally gets his cells mixed up with a fly’s when the fly gets into his machine while he is experimenting with transporting himself. Then the movie was remade in 1986 with Jeff Goldblum and was almost as good as the original.

Here a good bases for a new freediving movie. This group of scientists took a gene from a fly and transplanted it into human kidney cells to see if they could increase hypoxia tolerance. Their conclusion – it “renders cells more resistant to hypoxia”!

Now wouldn’t this make a good theme for a new sci-fi freediving movie when Hollywood seems so short on original ideas? Self-experimenting extreme freediver gets a rouge scientist to help him inject fly genes into himself to increase his freediving ability. He goes on to break several world records, meets and falls in love with the lady of his dreams, and is at the top of life, when slowly he starts to develop strange physical and medical side effects!

Heres a link to the study. It’s a little boring compared to my daydreaming! http://www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/278/49/49113
don :eek:

Have you ever performed a fly resurrection? :D A fly has a short stactic time. As a kid, I learned a trick where you take a house fly and hold him underwater in a glass for about 2-3 minutes. He will BO and draw up and cross all six of his legs. He will appear to have died because he doesn't move anymore. Take him out of the water shortly after he crosses his legs (20-30 seconds) and set him on the table, ask your viewers if they think the fly is dead, then pour just enough table salt on him so that he is completely covered. Wave your hand over him and say the majic words and within about 1 minute or less the fly will start to move. He will climb out and shake the salt off and fly away. :D Oh well it impresses little kids. :eek:

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Fly Blackouts!!!!!!!!!! Man I have to try that!!! A long time ago in school I had taken apart an electric lighter and took the elecrtical bit out... you push a button and a spark comes out the wire sticking out of the little thing. My friend later that day killed a fly... flicked with his finger when it was on a window and it landed on our desk... After a minute or so we were sure it was dead so I took my zapper thing and zapped him, the fly suddenly got up and flew away... wierd!

rofl Wow! You just invented the first fly deflibulator! Better rush out a file a patent! :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT