• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto D3 neoprene or regular strap?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
I am planning on getting the D3, and was thinking the regular strap because it seems more durable. Though it isn't very long and probably won't fit over my wetsuit/glove thickness. Is the neoprene strap any longer. Also I know Suunto makes an extension strap for the regular band, but that seems like it might complicate things - any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if I did go with either strap, is the interface the same for both so that I could order the opposite type replacement strap and install normally? Thanks

Last edited:
I have a Mosquito with the regular strap, and recently got a D3 with the neoprene strap.

The neoprene strap is definitely longer. Without an extender, it's challenging to attach the Mosquito with the regular strap on my wrist when in a thick wetsuit.

I think it's really a matter of personal taste, but I've found that I prefer the neoprene strap overall.

The basic watch is the same, I believe, so you can swap the straps back and forth if you change your mind. Besides the Suunto straps and extender, I've seen third-party products in dive shops that are supposed to attach watches to your wrist more securely.

go for the neoprene. the plastic one, even with the extendable strap is too fiddly and not worth it

I've got a blue D3 with a neo strap. I'm sure you can order the plastic ones if you choose to.

Just a friendly warning.

The strap does not float in the Cayman Islands' ocean. I don't know about anywhere else but the thing sinks. Only place where it floats is in my bath(where I assume they tested the D3). :duh

I would go with the stap because it's easier to let your buddy try it on with wetsuit on. Don't want to drop it :t

Whatever you do I think the D3 is a great watch!

Thanks for the advice guys... I did end up buying the D3 with the neoprene strap. I love it. I had no problem using on my 7mm wetsuit at the lake or on my wrist in the pool.

Watch/computer straps

I just came across this subject.

There is a strap I use for my D3 (I use one for the Stinger too and my normal dive watch) it is made by Waterborne (Australia) and is a really comfortable nylon strap which goes through and behind both fixing pins so if one pin fails you don't lose the watch. There is another company that makes a copy which I saw last week in a shop in Sharm so seem to be widely available.

The strap is quite long so will go round the wrist even with a thick suit on, they also come in two widths. A great product in my opinion.

Try this site http://www.watchworksintl.com/straps.htm

Simon Reid - Team Deepest Bear.

Last edited:
I found a picture of the Waterborne strap.

Simon.

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 304
Thanks for the info Simon, I will check that out as maybe a replacement band.

One thing though: if you get your pants wet and you are wondering why, it is the neoprene strap. Neoprene stays wet quite long time (specially with the salt water).
I also found out that neoprene strap won´t work with neprene suit in the deep freedives (even D3 stays in the hand but it can be found almost anywhere in the wrist after the dive :)

cheers,

- kimmo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT