• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto Vertical Blue 2012

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kelp princess

depthfinder
Jul 15, 2003
Last edited:
As well as those links we are loading regular photos, updates to the Vertical Blue Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/verticalblue.
During the event this will also be one of the first places where top times, results lists, video diaries and photo albums are posted.
Most of the competitors are here already, attempting vertiginous depths!

It's going to be interesting, not just because there are a lot of athletes here that can break world records, but also because it will be the first time so much effort has been put in keeping the freediving community informed. Not just that babbling Dutch dude on the radio, but also the Kelp princess with blogs and Carla with tweets and facebook updates, and video updates as often as we can.

PS as your official babbling Dutch dude, i'll try and also get in some factual information. If there's anything you'd like me to ask the athletes or talk about, let me know.

Sounds awesome, thanks for organising the coverage guys. Does make a difference to the community for sure!!!

Daan if you could please ask the athletes how they can hold their breath for so long it would be great lol

51 athletes just registered from 18 countries...
The calibre of the event is going to be insane - announcements for the first day at 6pm EST tomorrow!

Sounds like the best VB to date Will! Awesome list of competitors, I am sure we'll see some great dives!

EDIT: just read Nick Fazah's update, sounds like we missed some great dives already! :)

Last edited:
here are the announcements for the first day.

just a few NR's and a WR for good measure! :martial

good luck to everyone :)

cheers,

kp

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 253
Big announcements for day 4: 11 national record and 2 world record attempts.

You can follow the live audio streaming here:

Suunto Vertical Blue 2012 Broadcast Site - Audio Sports Online

Alexey will try the world record CWT with a dive to 126 at 11:10 EST, that's 16:10 in the UK and 17:10 in Europe. Will is up 11 minutes later with the same depth, same discipline.

Last edited:
Hi Daan,

I've been listening to your first radio show for nearly two hours. Here are my recommendations.

Technically, 1 the mp3's are a bit too much compressed and suffer from connection package loss.
Maybe your mike needs a better dead cat windbreak.
Perhaps a better, more dynamic microphone.
Perhaps wear earbuts so you can check audiolevels on the fly.
Maybe go whispering mode just two minutes before the dive, until the jury card.
Record the audio source, publish that the they after.
Dare to be a bit more expressive and dynamic in your sounds.

Production,
Imagine your audience, who is, or would be listening?
Avoid abbreviations, example: pb
Explain every freediving term, so our pears can understand what's happening too.
Explain the difficulties divers face, the skills they need, the principles.
Explain the young state of this sport, the uniqueness, the diversity, the needs of the sport, the challenge, and where / how people can get started.
Describe and compare everything and everyone in vivid detail. Explain their jobs and services.
Name links to freediving websites, athlete websites
Have an active co host, ask and chat with each other. This is much more dynamic to listen too.

Interviews,
Start with asking name, age, location, occupation of the athlete. Have they got sponsoring? hold the mike close to their mouth.
Ask how they felt this morning, what they ate.
Let them talk through their preparation, dive, turn, return, surfacing, describing their thoughts, feelings and doings.
When during the dive they felt certain they would make it?
How is it to wait for the jury response?
What do they do for recovery after these dives?
Ask what they'll do after and tomorrow.
What do they think of the rest of the competition?

I hope some of these points are helpful.

I think it's very cool to hear you grow into your new role!

Love, courage and deep blue water!

Kars

Hi Daan,

I'm still lagging behind in listening to the podcast, as I'm now at only starting at the 3rd podcast, 22th. Already I hear you become better, more relaxed, and more funny too!

I typed a bit of a long list, in my attempt to cover everything. I'm sorry if you find it discouraging, I was merely trying to be helpful in my own clumsy way.

I'm looking forward to listening the next podcast, though I may scroll through to the more exiting annunciations.

Two more ideas:
- Throw in some cool anecdotes.
- have a two radio personalities, one wanting safety, the other excited to see extremes, more gritty, less yoga floaty ;)

One last thing, the last part is the most difficult, maintaining consciousness, dead muscles, narcosis, etc. From some reporting at the first two podcast I got the impression that the last 20m was like a walk in the park.

I hope you find some ideas useful, don't be overwhelmed.
I know I've been spoiled by listening to some high level production podcasts for years, such as the No Agenda Show - the best podcast in the universe ;)

Enjoy the trip!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Good suggestions Kars. I like the idea of a good cop/bad cop with one excited and the other concernned for safety etc.

Will and Alexey's head to head dives have been exhilarating!

Thanks for the coverage guys. For some reason my podcast cut to floaty guitar music about 10 seconds before Will surfaced on his 126m CWT WR attempt, and coverage didn;t resume until AFTER Alexey's dive! You can imagine how frustrating that was!!

Daan, was this a problem at your end?

Also is there a video of Alexey's 128m dive? I understand he over shot the plate and failed to get a tag. the second time he has not noticed the plate!! If he can pass 128 and have time to mess around loking for a tag then we surely can hope to see 130+ soon!

Go Alexey!
:martial

Oh, an NR. Stink, I thought for a minute Will had overhauled that dastardly Russian.

But can the dastardly Russian come close to William in VB points?

Anyway I'm very happy with the reporting and the videos!

Love to see the different approaches, styles, characters, faces I know and don't know yet.

I'm still a bit puzzled why freedivers don't slide on hand on the line on the last meters to the surface. This way one has only to close the hand and hold on when on the surface, avoiding fine coordination, miss grabs, mouth dips, balancing acts etc.

Great, great show people!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Though i was the commentator (not always successfully so) i am still a freediver and photographer at heart, so it is with special thanks to Igor Liberti, who was the official photographer but let me play too, that i present this video of the competition. It was one of the most lovely comps i have ever attended; i hope this reflects it a little:

[ame=http://youtu.be/fXy_o46RUFU]Suunto Vertical Blue 2012 -a beautiful world - YouTube[/ame]

Reactions: Azrael3000 and Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT