• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swim 50m underwater?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DylChin

Jan 8, 2013
Hey all, I'm new to this whole thing, but I'm 16 years old and can currently hold my breath (dry static) for about 2 minutes (not great, I know).

I have decided to start doing tables and whatnot, I can currently swim 25m underwater in a pool but I want to build that up to around 50m (without fins), so I have a few questions about technique and training.

First of all, what do you find is the most efficient technique for swimming? When I did 25m I just did something very similar to breaststroke but kept the stroke rate low, I have seen other people do a breaststroke kick with the arms forward, and then they wait before doing a breaststroke pull with the arms. I have also seen people do a breaststroke followed by a single dolphin kick with the arms forward, so it is clear to me there are a large variety of techniques, which one would you guys advise using? Time is not really an issue, I just want to finish the 50m swim.

Second of all, how does one go about training to swim further? I want to start doing tables but I'm not quite sure where to begin, how often should I do o2 compared to co2 tables? how many times a week should I do tables? how long should each cycle be? etc.
Also, if one was to do far more co2 tables than o2 tables, would that mean he would not get the urge to breathe even though oxygen levels are depleted and therefore putting the diver at risk of a blackout?

How quickly can I expect to see results from training?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm completely new to all this.
Thanks.

Reactions: Kars
Let me ask you a question of motivation:

Why do you like to swim underwater?

If I were your instructor for the moment I would like you to get to know the feeling of deep relaxation under water. If your motivation is only to impress others with numbers, I can assure you that you'll quit when your peers stop being interested.
Freediving is mostly a mental sport, a challenge with yourself. It's also not a sport where brute force will win. One has to be smart, especially when barriers present themselves.

The first thing you need to get to your goal is to sort out your motivation.
The second thing is to get a knowledgeable buddy to train with.
The third thing is knowledge.
The fourth thing is some equipment.

Freediving progress goes very fast in the beginning, until you encounter some barrier.
When you do, you need to analyse it, comprehend it, and then find a way around it. Force is usually NOT the answer.

Watch Dynamic No Fins athletes, and see what they do and don't. Watch their preparation, their dive and exit. Notice their focus, relaxation, streamline, body position, propulsion technique.

On dry land, on a couch you test the effects through tables of CO2 and O2. It is vitally important you get to know your mind and body, so as to stay calm and know your barriers when so many bells and whistles are going off in your mind during a dive.

I understand your impatience, it comes with the age, but I still highly advice you to focus on learning technique and enjoying the relaxation while diving.

One of the most difficult things in freediving is keep ambition at bay. If you have the thoughts of ambition in your mind before or during a dive, you start to compare and calculate, estimate, the feeling you have now with the position you're now in relation to your goal. This mental effort cost heaps of O2, and takes away the flow experience of enjoying the moment. If you can mentally stay in the moment during a competition dive, then you can become a great freediver.

please read over this post a couple of times, there is about 8 years of experience in it.

Kars

Keep impatience at bay. Absolutely friggin' right.

Boy, you'll do it when it's the day.
Because let's say it clear, 50 meters is not an impossible goal, but what use to struggle to death for it, pushing yourself beyond your limits and before your time, just for the sake of it?
Learn, train, no hurry. There'll come a day you'll do 50meters with no real effort, pleasantly and naturally and lightheartedly as if it is a total joke to you.
But now it's beyond your skills, so don't die for it and be patient enough to catch a meter a day till the D-day will come, listen to the older man.

Reactions: Sorandril
agree with Kars and Spaghetti. i'll add a few things- for me when i'm adding lengths i've not yet done I start with the turns and forget the actual next length. for me at least there is something psychological about new turns because as u prepare for the turn u are acknowledging that next tough length ahead and can sometimes trigger anxiety at the turn point before u even start the next length. So try just doing the 25 turning push off glide and surface, repeat until its second nature, efficient, pure muscle memory,fun and comfortable. from my experience eliminating that element makes the length itself seem much easier plus if ur turns are bad or tense u blow tons of energy. And yes patience, if u look at depth disciplines they inch downward in they're goals but there is something about pools that makes u want to progress via lengths at a time. As for doing tables they can help a bit i guess u can get used to psychology of it and feel ur bodies reaction but don't obsess over them in my opinion they don't really carry over that much into actual diving and u are likely to burn out much quicker because tables contain all the work and suffering without the beauty and joy of slipping fluidly through water. As for technique just look up youtube dnf records u'll find tons of technique. One of the most important elements especially for no-fins is weighting yourself properly, u can glide forever if weighted right.

Reactions: spaghetti
Thank you guys very much for your input, the reason I want to swim 50m underwater is simply because it is a goal that I have always had, but never really got around to achieving (and i've never been very good at swimming haha). I am also hoping to try real freediving if I can find a partner.

Look for the New Zeeland freediving community, people like William Truebridge, Dave Mullings, Kathryn mc Phee (sorry Karthryn, the new name has not stuck yet with me), are some real freediving icons that may be able to help you find a local club / buddy.
If you can, do an introduction with them, and you'll learn tons of valuable information, that saves you years of trial and error, and from dangerous and stupid actions.

Last edited:
Also, important. DON'T attempt to push yourself in dynamics when alone. Dynamics use your O2 differently than statics. When doing statics you can tell when the end (blackout) is near - you feel your consciousness changing, maybe ringing in the ears, etc. But with dynamics when you push yourself you can pass out in SECONDS - NO WARNING. DON"T DO DYNAMICS without a buddy - EVER.

Reactions: Sorandril and Kars
Hey,

Sounds like you've been training by yourself too - not a good idea when you're starting out.

If you're in or around Wellington, you should give the Lazy Seal freediving club a call, or Kathryn Nevatt (was McPhee) at Freedivers NZ. Auckland also has a freediving group to be in contact with.

Any of these groups will help you with training and technique, and get you to your 50m and beyond without any bad habits.

:)

Reactions: Lewis Matthews
Also, important. DON'T attempt to push yourself in dynamics when alone. Dynamics use your O2 differently than statics. When doing statics you can tell when the end (blackout) is near - you feel your consciousness changing, maybe ringing in the ears, etc. But with dynamics when you push yourself you can pass out in SECONDS - NO WARNING. DON"T DO DYNAMICS without a buddy - EVER.

Worst advice ever. If anything, statics are more dangerous than dynamics. Neither should be done alone, even if you don't think you're pushing it.

Epic spelling attempt there Cars.

Last edited:
Sorry Kathryn and Dave, I was just a bit too lazy, Nevatt it is!

I agree, both static and dynamic are dangerous.
Another consideration is pool politics. Consider how your activities look in the eyes of fellow swimmers and lifeguards. These people have a lack of knowledge, strife to be in the middle ground, and fear the unknown. The idea of Freediving stirs thoughts of drowning, fear in their brain, and lifeguards will conclude its better to ban underwater stuff for the preservation of their career. At least this is how it is here near old Zeeland, The Netherlands. So you got to get your act together, have a educated buddy, practice in a response able way. BTW a response is a thought out (rational) reaction to a question. Warranting your decision making, no excuses allowed. Think before you do.

So I feel I've done just a bit too much preaching here, inducing 'third eye block' in the reader, but I hope they at least consider the content and think that through surpassing the initial resistance the preaching induced.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Keep impatience at bay. Absolutely friggin' right.

Boy, you'll do it when it's the day.
Because let's say it clear, 50 meters is not an impossible goal, but what use to struggle to death for it, pushing yourself beyond your limits and before your time, just for the sake of it?
Learn, train, no hurry. There'll come a day you'll do 50meters with no real effort, pleasantly and naturally and lightheartedly as if it is a total joke to you.
But now it's beyond your skills, so don't die for it and be patient enough to catch a meter a day till the D-day will come, listen to the older man.

And one day youll end up like me and wonder what all the fuss is about...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT