• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swine flu - all pork shops closed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Pandemic, schmandemic. The death rate from this strain of flu is so low compared to a 'normal' year's toll that it hardly bears talking about, unless you're one of the tiny number who have lost a loved one. One does tire of media hysteria after a while.

Yeah I agree!!!

aa aa aa choooo

Oh F***, quick get me some antibiotics :blackeye

roflOh dear, antibiotics won't help with a virus -- you've had it mate! 3 weeks to develop a vaccine (incredibly impressive) then 5 months to get it into production (not so impressive).

roflOld Sarge, ever noticed how folk get more cynical as they get older? It's because they've (/we've) seen & heard it all before and/or have enough personal experience to know it's b*ll*cks. Wasn't the "politics of fear" credited to W & B'Liar in a documentary some years ago now, after 9/11.

I had to laugh when the government said 2 porkies in a statement last week:

1. Britain is "one of the best prepared countries" (yeah right, we've heard that one before, just like we were best positioned to withstand the banking crisis and economic down turn, until the IMF corrected that by pointing out that we are in fact in the worst position, because of excessive government spending and borrowing over the last decade).

2. The government had done "everything that could be done". Apart from the bleeding obvious step of stopping planes delivering hundreds of people, some with the virus, to our airports, several times a day, every day of the week. Heaven forbid we spoil somebody's holiday just for a pandemic (which obviously they didn't believe in either).:D But then, without any UK border controls, what could be done? We are unprotected.

roflOh dear, antibiotics won't help with a virus -- you've had it mate! 3 weeks to develop a vaccine (incredibly impressive) then 5 months to get it into production (not so impressive).

roflOld Sarge, ever noticed how folk get more cynical as they get older? It's because they've (/we've) seen & heard it all before and/or have enough personal experience to know it's b*ll*cks. Wasn't the "politics of fear" credited to W & B'Liar in a documentary some years ago now, after 9/11.

I had to laugh when the government said 2 porkies in a statement last week:

1. Britain is "one of the best prepared countries" (yeah right, we've heard that one before, just like we were best positioned to withstand the banking crisis and economic down turn, until the IMF corrected that by pointing out that we are in fact in the worst position, because of excessive government spending and borrowing over the last decade).

2. The government had done "everything that could be done". Apart from the bleeding obvious step of stopping planes delivering hundreds of people, some with the virus, to our airports, several times a day, every day of the week. Heaven forbid we spoil somebody's holiday just for a pandemic (which obviously they didn't believe in either).:D But then, without any UK border controls, what could be done? We are unprotected.

My wife is a microbiologist so I'm even more cynical about this one than usual. ;)

On the radio this morning they described it as a "Global Crisis"... how is that possible when its mainly found in North America/Mexico, and the odd case in Europe?

thats hardly global...

Reactions: jay cluskey
Hegelian dialectic: problem - reaction - solution.
In order to move 'the herd' from A to B you'll need a driving force, usually fear.
Fear can be anything, real or imagined.
After creating the fear, wait for the reaction, the expected and very predictable outcries for protection.
Than introduce your plan that in effect leads the herd from A to position B.
Usually the 'solution' means:

- more control over the herd, centralisation of power,
- more taxation,
- more state servants
- less privacy
- less middle class (and millionaires are middle class to)
- less freedom.

Now back to flu hoax, the function it has to facilitate all off the above plus: lifting the UN and WHO to rise above the national authority, Secondly it will drive people in the hands of big pharma all to happy to sell drugs with ingredients the doctors cannot tell.
Live Avian Flu Virus Placed in Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent to 18 Countries Socio-Economics History Blog

The financial crises is to change the banking and money system, and lift the IMF to it's "proper" position as a central bank of the World.
To tie it in with the a 'new' economic system, "a system not based on greed, but based on service [to the state]" just look up Obama's plans for a million man civilian army serving a 'voluntary' service. And England has plans for a similar thing, a voluntary compulsory service.
Using the 'Fabian' technique of incrementalism we have already lost so many rights our grandparents have bled for. It seems it's time we learn to love the beautiful word we've learned when we were young, NO. Fall in love with this word and earn some (self-) respect.

Ok, enough, I need to run, Ciao, and think, think outside the given fake boundaries, while you still allowed to, while you still can. You're not alone in thinking things don't add up.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Pig farmer to the human population:

"Stay the hell away from my pigs. I don't want'em to catch YOUR flu!"

Connor

Chef Al's wise saying: "If it don't move fast enough...eat it!"

Hmpf! Sharia through the back door.

This has nothing to do with Shari'a Old Sarge, the country is moving towards even more openness by law -unfortunately- .. who would ever believe that Pamela Anderson will be a regular visitor to the UAE (publicly) and have partnerships with important guys to build up projects in the country, and sell herself for the one who pays more in an Auction in the Emirates Palace for charity !! .. forget about Shari'a here .. this is purely a procedure from the municipality and Health authorities as a safety measure, more of politics (to show they are taking good care of their population) I think than true medical and health measures.

On the other hand, dealing with the raw meat, does anyone know if it has the potential of transferring the virus ? I know it does in the Bird Flu, if it's the same here then they might not be afraid of the eater getting the virus Sarah, but the cook and those preparing the meat, and about having the virus in the UAE in general.

Anyway, we need to be fair here I think, if we look at numbers of casualties then we would surely say "Come on !! this is a joke!" but if we add the dimension of not knowing exactly what this decease might be and its impact, then the WHO and other organizations are taking extreme actions to quarantine it and get red of it on early stage, not to find out later on that it is actually a dangerous Pandemic (when it's too late).

On the other hand, yes, Kars might be right, it could be used to divert public mind from all the horrific situations and problems the governments are facing right now, but as an the intelligent creatures we are instead of running after the joke called "vaccine", we should simply stop dealing with pork ! .. now this is Shari'a through the back door Old Sarge .. ;) .. rofl

Adel

They need to make INFORMED decisions, before they make decisions.

Swine flu is not contracting by touching or eating pork. There was no need to close all the shops rofl That was typical reaction that I see so often here - KNEE JERK.

A (H1N1) flu spreads in the same way that regular seasonal influenza viruses spread; mainly through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick with the virus. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think anyone has yet found a single case of piggy with this virus. :D

Reactions: island_sands
I think there have been a few cases in Mexico, most likely the pigs caught it from people.

Why do you think the farmers want people to stay the hell away from their pigs?

Connor

Right here in South Central Texas we went bonkers. Samuel Clemens High School had 3, count'em 3 confirmed cases. This caused Schertz, Seguin, and New Braunfels to close schools for almost 10 days! Yes a poor soul died in the Rio Grande Valley but she had compromised health already & contracted in Mexico. The little girl who died in Houston also contracted in mexico and had health problems.

My store sold through several times over, as fast as we could get stock, of hand sanitizer, chlorox, cleraning products, etc. Just like panic buying we experience when a big storm is coming.

I'm safer with swine flue than with sharks or Man-o-War. And way safer with them than in an automobile.

Think maybe the gov. & media was looking for something to draw attention away from economic woes????

Last edited:
My store sold through several times over, as fast as we could get stock, of hand sanitizer, chlorox, cleraning products, etc. Just like panic buying we experience when a big storm is coming.

?

Is this the future of our world do you think? Opening doors using a tissue, wiping your keyboard with antiseptic wipes every day, using latex gloves to touch everything, covering your mouth when you go to an airport, washing your hands immediately after shaking hands with someone.. the list could go on...

Adel

They need to make INFORMED decisions, before they make decisions.

Swine flu is not contracting by touching or eating pork. There was no need to close all the shops rofl That was typical reaction that I see so often here - KNEE JERK.

A (H1N1) flu spreads in the same way that regular seasonal influenza viruses spread; mainly through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick with the virus. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products.

Sara

Please read :

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza[/ame]

and in particular the paragaph :

Transmission to humans

People who work with poultry and swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at increased risk of zoonotic infection with influenza virus endemic in these animals, and constitute a population of human hosts in which zoonosis and reassortment can co-occur.[53] Vaccination of these workers against influenza and surveillance for new influenza strains among this population may therefore be an important public health measure.[54] Transmission of influenza from swine to humans who work with swine was documented in a small surveillance study performed in 2004 at the University of Iowa.[55] This study among others forms the basis of a recommendation that people whose jobs involve handling poultry and swine be the focus of increased public health surveillance.[53] Other professions at particular risk of infection are veterinarians and meat processing workers, although the risk of infection for both of these groups is lower than that of farm workers.[56]

In another paragraph it says:

The meat of the animal poses no risk of transmitting the virus when properly cooked

So as I said, it's exactly similar to the Bird Flu rules, they are afraid about those people processing the meat and the eaters if the meat is not properly cooked, and so the measure of closing those shops is very sensible specially for a country where the majority (not only locals who are minority but muslim residents in general) don't eat pork, after all they did similar thing with birds few year ago if you remember.

Adolphin, this isn't exactly my area of expertise, maybe somebody else will chime in, but I am pretty sure the two cases are very different for a lot of reasons. Avian flu is a disease of birds that passes to humans poorly, primarily through live birds. It passes very poorly from person to person. Swine flu is a disease of humans (that may have developed in pigs) and passes easily from person to person. Humans are now the source of infection for swine flu, not pigs. Killing off the pigs or closing the butcher shops is unlikely to have any effect on transmission of swine flu. Swine flue is also much much less deadly than bird flu.

Connor

Hi Connor

I was going through an article on wikipedia which is supposed to be reliable, if so, then it says clearly (as you can read above) that this new transformation of H1N1 flu does transfer from pigs to humans and does transfer from processing meat (at a lower risk most porbably because meat processing is supposed to be while wearing gloves for hygiene reasons and so the rate is less).

The control of the infection spread between humans is surely more important, humans fly faster (between countries) than pigs (which does it in the form of pork usually) and humans will shake hands and kiss and cough and sneeze into each other's face (it's unlikely a pig will do that to humans although it might, specially in farms with farmers, or where little pigs are kept as pets), also humans have a much higher infiltration rate into anyplace humane .. this nevertheless, doesn't underestimate the pig-human transmitting risk at all, it will remain an important factor .. don't you think .. :)

How did this particular flu developed is still a debate, what is sure is that it can transfer easily between humans and pigs (two way) .. and as the wiki article suggests :

The new strain was initially described as apparent reassortment of at least four strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1, including one strain endemic in humans, one endemic in birds, and two endemic in swine.[47] Subsequent analysis suggested it was a reassortment of just two strains, both found in swine.[3] Although initial reports identified the new strain as swine influenza (ie, a zoonosis originating in swine), its origin is unknown. Several countries took precautionary measures to reduce the chances for a global pandemic of the disease.[48]

Zoonosis is an endemic infection originated in animals then become possible to transfer to humans and might or might not be endemic in humans (in this case it is).

So, it's more likely a Swine Flu originated in swine rather than humans.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: agbiv
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT