• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swollen Tonsils when freediving/Snorkeling...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The Killer's me

Ecologically Selective
Dec 15, 2005
Any body out there is having the same problem as mine?
every time i go snorkeling/freediving and few hours after i finish my dives, i feel that my tonsils are becoming swollen and red (no infection)..the worst part is that after these symptoms take place, i frequently have a flue or running nose which takes me few days to recover :( and makes equalization worse...:ko

any solution for that?:head

Any body out there is having the same problem as mine?
every time i go snorkeling/freediving and few hours after i finish my dives, i feel that my tonsils are becoming swollen and red (no infection)..the worst part is that after these symptoms take place, i frequently have a flue or running nose which takes me few days to recover :( and makes equalization worse...:ko

any solution for that?:head

Rabih
Has there been any of that floating algae on the surface while you have been diving? There was some recent articles on this algae and apparently it's been making people really sick.

well yes i guess so...:( do u think its the algae which is causing that??? but i'm not falling heavily sick though...

regards

Here's the link mate

Changes in Local Ecosystem Have Led to Increase of Harmful Algal Blooms in Abu Dhabi Waters

Date:19/06/2007 Studies recently conducted by the Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi (EAD) have reported an increasing occurrence of Harmful Algal Blooms in Abu Dhabi waters. More...Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi

I have seen this in Fujairah as well.

If I were you I would totally disinfect my snorkel...bacteria living inside of it could be the culprit...I hunt Wild Turkey's with a bow & arrow here in the U.S. in the spring...I call them in (or try to) with a little plastic & rubber diaphragm type mouthcall...I soak 'em in Listerine mouthwash & then rinse them now after a hunt. In the past, I used to get a sore throat after a couple of three days or so of using a "dirty" slobbered up call...Could it be the same with your snorkel :confused:?

Just trying to help!

Last edited:
This sounds very logical mate...let me try it, if it didnt work, then it wont harm anyways...

cheers :cool:

I disinfected my snorkel last week after reading this and it had the unfortunate repercussion of causing my top lip to swell to nearly double it original size! I thought I'd diluted the dettol enough, and rinsed it enough, but it looks like I underestimated the sensitivity of my lips.

I'm already accused of having lips like a blue groper, but after this I felt like I was trying to "be the fish" rofl

My lips are still sore from being stretched.

Atleast they got stretched out by a snorkel!!!!!rofl

I wonder if my advice worked out for "The killer's me"?

Atleast they got stretched out by a snorkel!!!!!rofl

I wonder if my advice worked out for "The killer's me"?

hey Bgill...it worked out of course.
first i had a flu vaccine injection.
Vitamine C tablets.
Betadine Mouthwash which i also use to disinfect my snorkel. it is also kept on my float all the time. i gargle before and after the dive...

guess what :) all my buddies want to use my Betadine bottle too...

thanks for the advice again...
Detol i guess is too sharp...
cheerz

Seems weve just found the new craze after botox here, dettol soaked snorkels roflroflNon invasive and cheap rofl
Killers me, could it not perhaps be due to the fact that after breathing through a snorkel for a while your throught and tonsils dry out?
I know my mouth feels very dry while diving with my snorkel and spending alot of time on the surface.
I have a water bottle on my float and also chew on a piece of gum while diving, stuck to in my mouth somewhere of coarse and then rest on my float while having some water and a quick chew :)

Seems weve just found the new craze after botox here, dettol soaked snorkels roflroflNon invasive and cheap rofl
Killers me, could it not perhaps be due to the fact that after breathing through a snorkel for a while your throught and tonsils dry out?
I know my mouth feels very dry while diving with my snorkel and spending alot of time on the surface.
I have a water bottle on my float and also chew on a piece of gum while diving, stuck to in my mouth somewhere of coarse and then rest on my float while having some water and a quick chew :)

well "deepthinker",...in dubai humidity is above average so this is not causing me any sore throat. but luckily i got over it after i declared war :martial on my body and so far so good...
:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT