• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Taimen - Russian pneumovacuum speargun

There is a short video showing how the new "Taimen" side-mounted line release operates. Here are some stills taken from it. The video was too large a file to upload here. You can see where the metal insert in the trigger is used to block the line release from moving until it clears the lower edge of the line release lever.
TAIMEN SIDE RELEASE2.jpg
TAIMEN SIDE RELEASE3.jpg
TAIMEN SIDE RELEASE1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some rear handle cross-section photos showing how compact the inner workings of the "Taimen" are. It is this lightweight but very strong construction that makes the "Taimen" speargun a good "floater" when usually spearguns of similar dimensions are dedicated "sinkers". A rapidly traversing, elevating and aiming speargun, the "Taimen" enables the quick reflex shooting of targets of opportunity.

rear handle cross scetion 2.jpg
rear handle cross section.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tromic
I have proposed an alloy in-line rigging eyelet for the "Taimen" which screws into the air inlet valve's hand pump thread. Thus if a PV850, PV1000 or PV1200 "Taimen" speargun is used on a very big fish then the gun can be released and a rig line with torpedo float will follow. The "Taimen" handle has no inner bracing strut, hence the butt of the handgrip offers no attachment points.
Taimen eyelet R.jpg

Some videos of "Taimen" spearguns in action against Carp, a monster Catfish (Wels?) and a pike. Last two videos show the "Taimen" 1200 in action

carp

taimen 1200 cstfish

taimen 1200 pike

taimen 1200 pike

Last edited:
I have proposed an alloy in-line rigging eyelet for the "Taimen" which screws into the air inlet valve's hand pump thread. Thus if a PV850, PV1000 or PV1200 "Taimen" speargun is used on a very big fish then the gun can be released and a rig line with torpedo float will follow. The "Taimen" handle has no inner bracing strut, hence the butt of the handgrip offers no attachment points.
View attachment 52562
Inline Rigging as shown.
inline rigging.jpg

Watch as "Taimen" 1200 mm model bowls over more victims in murky waters due to range and power of the shot.

Hunting in the reeds, the "Taimen" in its design environment. Note the angled reel fitment to a gun with a standard trigger finger guard mounted line release.

The "Taimen" handle has a plastic bung that fits in the rear of the grip section and keeps grit and sand out of the threaded port for the inlet valve. I was always disappointed that it was not a screw in plug as is used on other guns, but it had a rear profile that followed the lines of the rear of the grip handle and thus it was not possible to rotate it. Now with my inline rigging attachment piece being a screw in aluminium item the rear plastic bung can be shortened and sit in directly behind it as is shown on this diagram. Note the access hole running right through the plastic bung for the rig line attachment to pass through.
Taimen eyelet RX.jpg

I do see a lot of these skinny Russian/Ukranian guns with added floats on them. Both in the river and bluewater videos. I guess it's an OK way to do it. If people are OK with a slightly negative gun they can keep it stock and will have a gun which swings easily on account of the thinner reservoir and if they want it neutral then it seems they need to add floatation.

I've always been curious about the trigger in the Taimen as it does give more travel than a standard sear/hook type trigger. Pete, you have a Taimen, right? How is the trigger pull on it? More friction or about the same as the more "normal" ones?

Actually the travel is rather short as the vertical sear column only moves a tiny amount to let the piston go as I have indicated on a schematic recently. The only slack is any gap between the top of the adjustment screw embedded in the trigger and the bottom of the pin which is integral with the sear column. It is not a hair trigger, but once you start to squeeze the trigger the gun shoots.There is a small rocking safety lever that stops the trigger moving which I am sure I have discussed somewhere on this long thread. (found it at post #184)

"Taimen" guns often have a reel attached and then they need some extra floatation.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT