• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Taimen - Russian pneumovacuum speargun

Video of replacing polyurethane bush on new type of removable spear tail.
https://vk.com/video-152421109_456239073
new replaceable spear tail bush.jpg

new spear tail with threaded end section.jpg

Last edited:
The is a new less raked handle in the works, but to maintain some tradition in the handle shape I think that it needs a larger butt plate as illustrated here. One advantage is the gun is more securely held if being twisted in your hand by the larger pad at the grip base preventing it slipping too easily through your fingers.
Tamen new handle shape adjustment.jpg

I thought that a diagram showing the various seals in their respective positions would be easier to look at, however the size of the piston seal in the handbook does not seem correct as the OD will have to be close to 10 mm, or 11 mm for the 8 mm diameter spear version of the "Taimen". Note that the 6.5 mm spear version has now been discontinued, although it was basically a different front hub on the 7 mm spear version.
Taimen PVRM seals 1.jpg

Hacoc is the handpump and the piston is поршень. This diagram only lacked the polyurethane bush in front of the damper or shock absorber and is now added.

The "O" ring sizes are quoted as internal diameter ID x section width SW, hence the rear body rings have an OD of 21 + 3 + 3 which equals 27 mm. The ID of the tank tube is 26 mm and from memory the tank has a slight counter bore at the rear end, therefore the 27 mm diameter will be a snug fit. The piston ring OD is 4 + 3 + 3 which equals 10 mm and that corresponds to the 10 mm barrel bore. I assume that the same ring is used on the 8 mm diameter spear version by having a slightly larger seat diameter on the bigger piston body which forces the ring to stretch out to 11 mm OD.

Previously the "O" ring sizes were quoted as OD x ID as seen here. Note that the ring reference numbers have changed compared to above.
seals-template-ex-jpg.38627

Last edited:
Today my titanium "Taimen" arrived, only the body and spear as due to problems in sending spearguns from Russia it is best to avoid a complete gun being sent. The situation varies and sometimes zero problems, a lot depends on the personnel concerned and their attitude to risk and their level of experience as when unsure they send the gun back to the sender! Second package will contain the rest of the gun and this should be another week or so. Winter here now, so no problem in waiting as diving only suitable for penguins and seals.

I have now unpacked the titanium gun and have photographed it alongside my alloy barrel gun with its rear handle removed. Also shown is the black plastic nose end which has since been discontinued as buyers were somewhat wary of plastic. Maybe should have been molded in luminous green for night shooting as I mentioned somewhat earlier. Horn sticking out of side of titanium muzzle is for hooking on the rear cord loop of the stepped ladder loader. Note that the new muzzle has, like the plastic muzzle nose, an integral line slide holder instead of a screw in piece as has been used in all the previous versions with the exception of the front tied spear versions which are no longer produced.
Taimen muzzles 2R.jpg
Taimen barrels R.jpg

Tamen barrels titanum and alloy versions R.jpg
Taimen rear end R.jpg

Standard of machining in titanium is excellent, a first class job, with absolutely no scratches or marks and perfect in every way!

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
It occurs to me that the horn sticking out of the side of the muzzle is actually the front line wrap hook as it is angled slightly forwards to avoid being a snagging hazard. The grip handle is yet to arrive, but it has the side-mounted line release lever on the left hand side of the gun and that makes more sense if the line wrap hook is positioned directly opposite it at the front end of the gun.

I weighed the two barrel assemblies and the titanium gun is 407 g. and the alloy gun is 330 g., so a weight difference of 77 g. Bear in mind that the alloy gun is a power regulator model and has a few more internal parts, while the titanium gun is single power and is also the 8 mm spear version with an 11 mm ID inner barrel. My PVRM 600 is the 7 mm spear version and thus has the 10 mm ID inner barrel. A true weight comparison would be to compare two guns with the 11 mm ID inner barrels. The 8 mm spear version goes up in barrel bore size to provide more force for driving the heavier spear. Note that the 6.5 mm spear version is discontinued. The titanium gun for now only comes in the 8 mm spear version.

Now the balance of the titanium gun has arrived in a second parcel, including its 8 mm diameter spear. Before fitting it to the gun body I have photographed the grip handle alongside the previous handles; the right hand grip with thumb rest and the “universal handle” for use in either hand. The titanium handle is fitted with the side mounted line release, although the space is still there for the finger guard mounted line release if you wanted to fit it.
Taimen handles and titanium R.jpg

Taimen handles rhs Titanium R.jpg

For those who think their underwater visibility is not so great, imagine diving in this soup!

The new handle is getting closer, here is a diagram indicating the changes in dimensions. The main impetus is for a handle that can be used with winter gloves and mittens with a larger trigger finger guard and a slimmer grip while still retaining the necessary buoyancy.
new handle 2019.jpg
The new handle is called Taйган or Taigan, as in "Taimen gun". A competition was created and this name was the winning entry. My own thoughts were the "Ice Grip" or the "Icicle" as that is what it has been designed for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
Here is the new gun with the slimmer handle, the new integrated slider holder muzzle and the replaceable polyurethane bush spears with screw off tails.
8YeJNdKnSHM.jpg

Reactions: Zahar
From a Taimen forum here is a gun showing corrosion on the double threaded annular nut due to water getting into the screw threads. Maintenance and oiling will stop this, however the older design was more prone to this problem as water could get in via two pathways. The later introduction of a front polyurethane bush helped to cut off one pathway as can be seen here. Pumping the gun with freshwater after use and oiling got rid of the second entry point problem.
NlB38UHO9PU.jpg

Taimen water penetration ENG.jpg

This modification lets water in, but equally allows it to be rinsed out and replaced with oil after the dive has been completed. Otherwise the piston nose locks water in and allows corrosion in all but the freshest of water that the gun has been used in. Unless of course you pump freshwater through this area by pushing the piston back.
Taimen hub detail.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT