• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Talcum powder 'poses cancer risk to women'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Female freedivers may be interested in this article by Roger Dobson, published at The Independent: Talcum powder 'poses cancer risk to women' - Independent Online Edition > Health

The practice of discreetly puffing underwear with a dab of talcum powder may be increasing women's risk of ovarian cancer.
Research shows that women who use talc have a 17 per cent higher risk of getting the cancer. Researchers say using a small amount of talc in the pelvic area may lead to it reaching the ovaries and increasing the risk of the most common gynaecological cancer in the UK, with more than 4,000 deaths a year.

In the research, published in the International Journal of Cancer this week, data on more than 3,000 women was compared. "We confirmed a statistically significant increase in ovarian cancer risk associated with use of talc in the pelvic region," say the researchers, who are from hospitals and centres taking part in the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group.

The increased risk was specifically related to talc use in the pelvic region. Use on other body sites showed no association. "This suggests that use of only a small amount of talc may be required for some talc to reach the ovaries and increase risk of cancer," says the report.

It's not clear how talc could trigger the cancer. One theory is it may be carcinogenic to the covering layer of the ovaries when it get through the vagina, uterus and fallopian tubes to the ovary.

Video is Funny! I use a unscented biodegradable body soap mixed with water in a spray bottle -1 to 10 rat. It works GREAT!

Last edited:
Interesting, some freedivers use a lot of talc to put suits on and dry kit. I don't use anything that generates dust or spray which can be breathed in. It isn't worth the risk.

And cute video. rofl

LOL! I use 1 part in 10 feminine hygeine soap in water to get My open cell on... and yes it farts as I descend.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT