• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tanya Streeter's comments about apnea jogging and weight traing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

caymandiver

give me gills!
Jun 18, 2003
First of all, she rocks.

I was askig her a few questions about apnea training and this is what she said.

"I have never truly done apean jogging so I can't say if it is good or bad._ A bit risky perhaps......_ I do apnea weight training which I think is very effective._ Lift about 40-50% of what you would lift to build muscle, but do it holding your breath._ Take about 3 deep breaths and then go._ Have someone watch you - it's not out of the question that you may pass out if you push very hard.
_
I breathe in and out through my mouth ALL THE TIME during exercise._ I guess it's habit, because in the water my nose is either in a mask or a noseclip so I can't breathe through it._ Plus I think you can better regulate the speed etc of breathing through your mouth._ Whatever you do, use your abdominal muscles to expand your stomache when you inhale so that air travels to the depths of your lungs where there is a greater concentration of alvioli and blood capilliaries._ That's where the most gas exchange will take place._ If possible, always make your exhale longer and deeper than your inhale."

I thought this was some intersting and awesome info to share.

Hope it helps!!

Does she mention how many reps or sets that she does?

Also, does she say what kind of breath up time she maintains inbetween sets?

I have done apnea push-ups in the past by doing a full, couple minute, breath up and holding until my first contraction, then I roll over an see how many I can do.

I would be very interested in what the rest of her lifting entails.

Jon

Jon.

I remember somewhere reading she does her reps as much as she can. I'm not sure though. You can learn more about her training excercise on her site. I can't remember her site's name. I'm actually in Japan not using my computer. Can't stay on for too long either. But just go google under tonya streeter. Look under training. Its excellent!

I'm going to interview some Ama divers while I'm down here. Trying to figure out more about the mystery of hyperventilation.

Got to go. Sorry I had to be quick

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT