• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Targeting Mullet and Bass?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sjurba

Feb 9, 2010
Im going to Denmark for some spearing in a couple of weeks,and Ive been told there is good possibilitys of finding theese ,for me exotic species there,but how do you hunt for them?

I expect you will get a lot of responses differing in technique. Flashers, clicking stones, croaking as well as the more usual hiding on the bottom in weed and stalking around boulders in the shallows. Bass always seem to turn up when least expected. Straight after unloading your gun to get out in the shallows or when you first put your head under to check viz before having loaded your gun :head.

Youtube is good. Good luck.

Hi Sjurba

Where are you planning to go?
The more likely and popular pelagic to spear in Denmark are cod, grey thick lipped mullet and sea trout.
Assuming you don´t have a boat.

Cod: Along stone jetties , aspetto or in holes between the stones. Spot and shoot from the surface is also possible, but that you know.

Mullet: In the shallow see weed forrest, 0,3m - 3m, extreemly quitely floating along with the current. Be lucky and spot em with the arse up or maybe swimming higher up in the water column. Stay alert with the arm stretched and the finger on the trigger, because when it spots you its gone. In schools they tend to be more curious and derry; alone they are extremely shy.
And btw: Make sure your spear tip is sharp, and that you have a descent shooting power, cause the mullet has tough scales. Kill it by braking the neck backwards. Don't try knifing it and also mind the thick spike on the dorsal fin; getting that in your hand hurts (believe me ;-).

Sea trout: Even more sky than the mullet. Be lucky and spot it why aspetto fishing in one of the above places. Usually on the move so be ready to track it. You can also go night fishing for trout. Much easier.

Please mind that you need a fishing license, which you can buy online. Not that you are likely to get caught without, but because the money help supporting the attempt to limit illegal fishing, and its really cheap btw :)
Please also mind minimum sizes and protected areas.

Best regards
H!

Last edited:
Reactions: water moccasin
Thanks for the answers.Im going to the Korsør, Storebælts bro area.

Hi Sjurba

Naknemo.dk is a Danish forum, where you might also find some help.
Krak.dk have a map section with both aerial photos and sea maps.
Might also wanna check out dmi.dk for weather forecast.

Best regards
H!

Thanks Herup for the site suggestions,Im packed and ready for next weekend :)

Well, Ive made it back from Denmark.Had a couple of days with intense diving in the storebælt strait.No mullet for me though,but cod and flatfish.Me and some mates part took in the Nordic spearfishing chapionship,it was great fun and I feel I learnt a lot.Spearing in Denmark is alot diffrent than in Norway,its really shallow and you have to swim alot to get to the fish.The first day we were under the bridge,and it was a blustery day with a 3 knot current,its been along time since Ive been that knackered! There was some good catches that day,the Finnish blokes bringing in some impressive hauls.It was clear that all that training and preperation was paying off...Day two had better weather and we went out to sprogø,an island out in the strait,this day went better for me,got a decent catch of cod in the rocks. All in all a great trip! Now Im going to train hard for next year.

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 250
I expect you will get a lot of responses differing in technique. Flashers, clicking stones, croaking as well as the more usual hiding on the bottom in weed and stalking around boulders in the shallows. Bass always seem to turn up when least expected. Straight after unloading your gun to get out in the shallows or when you first put your head under to check viz before having loaded your gun :head.

Youtube is good. Good luck.

Mullet are easy to shoot when they are feeding... they generally won't pay attention to you when they are feeding but be quick because if they notiec you they will be gone... they also seem to know when you are in an aggressive stance and when you are not. For instance, one you take a shot at a group of them and miss, they will all swim around you for a minute. They will also swim behind you or to the side... they an tell where you are looking. If you have a pole spear you an arry it with you, discharge it at the seabed or rock and see if any investigate. If they do, blast one of them.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9D3M2CX5fQ]Golden Grey Mullet - recipe - Valentine Warner - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPTqMfIST8&feature=related]Aboriginal cooking - mullet[/ame]

Last edited:
Also - Grey Mullet tend to feed on rocky shorelines which are only accessible to them at high tide so literally hugging rocky shorelines in shallow waters can give you the edge on surprising them. They also seem to like shingle (pebble) beeches and caves.
Bass & Mullet are silver in colour for a reason, its their camouflage in shallow, aerated (bubbles) water which also looks silver in colour when viewed from underwater. The Bass use this camouflage for predation and the Mullet use it to come in close to beaches and the breaking waves allow them to feed on whatever the tide has bought in.
I have often gutted Mullet to find a stomach full of green weed and nothing else but I don't think they're veggies???

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT