• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tax Returns!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StretchArmStron

Jan 19, 2004
Okay guys... I'll be getting my tax returns in soon and am very much wanting to get a bluewater gun...since it will be my first "big" gun I'm gonna need some help on the choice.

Does anyone own the JBL 450 hxd? Reading up on it, it gives a range of 35 feet. is that true? Judging from the price tag (a little over $200) I'm not quite sure how accurate that is.

I'm wanting to target wahoo, mahi, larger AJ's, and hopfully a tuna (one day:)

I'd love a Riffe, but I'm not sure on what lenght I should be looking for.

Please help me out with suggestions of a few guns. My price range is $600 and under.

THANKS EVERYONE

Originally posted by StretchArmStron
Does anyone own the JBL 450 hxd? Reading up on it, it gives a range of 35 feet. is that true?

Going home from work so I'll reply later, but I just had to comment on this part of your post...

Don't put too much confidence in what a manufacture lists as it's specs. Especially this one. It may reach 35 feet, but not effectively. :head

I love the short JBL guns and own 3. as for the longer "bluewater models"... they are a heap of shit and don;t waste your money.

OK, figured that much on the JBL's...not going with that one...

any other suggestions?????????!!! Fish will be showing up soon!

if you are interested in a riffe. i'd say go for a #Island or #no ka oi or a #bluewater. the blue water is probably your best bet. if you are one day going to go after tuna, although the pending world record bluefin(#600+) shot in the azores was shot with a riffe #island. if you are looking for a deal on a riffe gun for under $600, look on Ebay, i saw a #blue water and a #no ka oi, both are new off the shelf from a dive shop in florida. i guess they aren't selling, it is my understanding that the bands are on the old side so a new set may be in order. anyways, as of right now, 2230EST 08 march 2004, there is 5+days left on the auction and the bluewater is at $400, and the no ka oi is at $305.

if that doesnt strike your fancy, you can try a rob allen 1.4M or a new C4 monoscocca 1.3M. i really like rob allen's in the shorter guns and have never tried a long gun.

the C4 is amazing, both from an astetic standpoint as well as a technologically advanced standpoint as well. all titanium trigger, one piece molded carbon fiber. put twin omer 18mm power bands and you will have a bad a$$ bluewater rig. the 2 18mm bands will give you the same power as 3-4 riffe bands.

but from there it is all personal preference. some guys like a euro gun more than a mid handled riffe. for their own various reasons.

in my opinion, where i am, i would go with the C4, i like the way the gun feels and the way it looks. i havent shot one yet, but i hear they are powerful and accurate.

but hey, if you can pick up a riffe #blue water for $400, that'd be more cost effective, especially considering they retail for a hell of alot more than that.

best of luck with whatever you decide.

I got a chance to play with the Omer America at DEMA - looks like a sweet steel slinger to me - would love to demo one - maybe look into one for yourself.

Easy answer.

Get an Island. Order it with the stabilizers and an Ice Pick. Get a 100 foot floatline, and a 15 foot bungie. Get a float.

End of problem.

The Jbl shorties are the best thing going for cave work and if you were dicking around the rigs I'd say fine, get a Magnum XHD and carry a can of WD40, but when you start yakkin about wahoo and such, you need something that will actually reach and tag something at 15 feet. Anybody tells you that they can stick something at 25 on up, and make it hold, is fulla crap; and I know, making my own guns. And hey, while I'm on my soapbox, don't even think of launching at over 15 feet. You may reach it, but the odds are better that IF you hit it, it'll just put a stab wound in it and off it goes to die. Not smooth. And even at 15' I'm really thinking... get closer.

Thanks for everyone being so informative...I very much appreciate it.
Right now its a draw between the No Ka OI and the Island.

Need some feedback on each gun...thanks

The NoKaOi is going to be an easier gun to swing around due to its's being shorter, and the Island will only be slighty less so, but will reach out and say howdy farther/faster. The NoKaOi is a more general purpose length, but you get used to what you have. We manuever an Island in the kelp, so go figure... You mentioned wahoo and tuna, but what are your water conditions, your diving skills and your time to devote to the learning curve?

A gun is only a platform to mount the bands and a shaft to and as such is only rarely called upon to swing like a bat and follow a prey. With wahoo and tuna, YOU position yourself and the gun is an extension. If you swing the gun, the fish goes later days and you're left with your, er, gun in your hand. This level of hunting is less about going after the fish than it is letting the fish come to you. The difficult part is in developing the patience to let them come and then that's after you spend a lot of frustrating time in learning their habits.

Last edited:
Beg & borrow as many guns as you can and demo them. this is not easy and a time consuming process, but the best way to find out what works for you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT