• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The BENEFITS of AIDA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dieter Baumann

Mar 23, 2004
The benefits of AIDA

Dear readers of this forum

I had to open a new tread because of two reasons:
First one, that this is the only way to give a kind of summarised answer/information concerning all the posts running around on different parts of this forum, but having nearly the same topic.
I took me some time to surf around on DB, checking out what’s going on here.
I could find a lot of interesting and positive things about scuba diving, spearfishing and...
...freediving.
But no positive tread about AIDA International and their good work.
(except a mistake of myself and I could not find it)
Don’t get me wrong, in many answer posts you can find positive statements, but no own tread,
which is the second reason why I opened this one.
There are so many positive things done by AIDA but here on this forum we have a strong negative opinion pool
with an AIDA negative opinion leader – Eric Fattah, who likes to play around with rumours.

Instead of you Eric, I personally work only with facts, and I am very carefully with rumours.
So lets work on some FACTS.

FACT is that at Mifsud’s attempt you said the 20-second rule failed.
In end of 2002 at Carlos Coste attempt you did hardly complain why AIDA accepts a world record without this 20-second rule.
(for info: in 2002 this rule was in force for competitions only, since 2003 for record attempts too, and Eric please don’t think this 2003 implantation was done because you complained)

FACT is that you wrote that it is possible to train into the “gray-zone” of LMC without having the LMC, or even to train to hide the LMC.
This guided a lot of athletes to try this and their performances have been disqualified.
As result many of them are now angry with AIDA, what is completely ridiculous.
Thanks a lot for this nice tip...

FACT is that you wrote wild speculations about the Italians. I will never forget the answer mail to you of Mr. Tovaglieri, press responsible of Apnea Academy, including the following sentence:
I never read so many lies at the same time in the same letter......

I just picked out some, but there are many other points I could quote here, but I think this have been really enough examples.

Many of your posts have some small part of truth and the rest is added with your personal speculations and theories and then presented as this kind of „news“.
You always speculate in your mails that people maybe do not know about facts, rules and backgrounds to put your contra productive stuff on them. This works especially fine with newcomers, so that their first approach to AIDA and freediving is disturbed.

In one of your last posts you state I hate you.
Who did tell you this? I never said something like this.
This is exactly your typical way to try to manipulate people opinions.
In the same sentence you mention why I hate you, concerning the time when I trained Herbert, but keeping the secret what the reason is. Again you try to manipulate....
But to light up the situation. The concerning case of last year was your “story” of Tanya’s sled attempt.
(or do you think the single unrequested mail you wrote Herbert about equalisation was the reason)
Even after I explained to you what is on the video, you stayed on your opinion what there has to be on the video.
Fact is that I viewed the original video and you did not.
But as always you don’t care and just go on with your stories.
Probably you also think if you don’t receive any answer to a mail anymore that you “won” some point or topic
Don’t you realise that most people are just not interested anymore to continue answering or listening to you?

There is also another important point to separate, which is always mixed up.
Recreational and competitive freediving.
But to discuss this also in this post would be beyond the limits.
So I will post this one on AIDA International forum as soon as it is online.

As I stated already in one of my earlier replies I know that it is clear that everybody is hungry for news, but if is something spread, the facts please.
About the lack of information which was quoted in several different posts.
AIDA International has several official mailing Lists where everybody can find a lot of information’s and serious requests are always answered by well-informed AIDA members.
Biggest one is AIDA Chat list (Chat_AIDA@yahoogroups.com)
On the Liste AIDA you will receive all public announcements (about the last records for example)
On the Athletes list mostly regulations stuff and so on is discussed (this list is closed for competitors only)

But why do I write this post.
I hope that I could “open the eyes” for some people, especially newcomers, to join AIDA family.
You can meet us at one of the competitions, contact one of our national AIDA’s or visit our fact based website.
www.aida-international.org
All board members are active freedivers, so they know about realities.

Eric you posted you try to help AIDA since 1999.
Are you trying to joke?
You did leave AIDA 2000 and went to FREE organisation.
Are just lost somewhere in time and space?

The benefits of AIDA.
Hmmm, probably for everybody something different.
For me: Today I can go to an AIDA competition wherever it is hold on this planet.
Everywhere I will have the same rules, and if I have done a valid performance, this performance is comparable all over the world.
This was also the main reason why AIDA was founded 1992. To homologate records.
In the meantime AIDA is active in many other parts of freediving too.

To finish this post.
Of course Eric and his fan club will try to distort the facts I wrote, but I really don’t care.
One more time: Eric, if you want to help the development of freediving, stay far away from AIDA activities.
As I prefer to put my time in constructive things, instead to continue to handle useless mails, you are lucky,
I will not answer this topic anymore.
(I just finished work on ***Freediver education video, last part, ****video has to be done now)

Dieter Baumann
Austria

AIDA A Judge
AIDA Judge Instructor
AIDA **** Freediver Instructor
founder member AIDA Austria
ApneaPlanet Freediving school
www.ApneaPlanet.com

Reactions: fuzz and rigdvr
Dieter the idea of a thread that depicts the positive side of AIDA is a good one. I am all for seeing both sides of the coin.

But tell me, how is launching a slanderous attack on Eric a 'benefit of AIDA.' Is this AIDA's only function - to try and rubbish the constructive criticism directed against it?

Your post has done nothing to improve my estimation of AIDA, and everything to detriment it.

There are hundreds of freedivers here (not just Eric, and certainly not some kind of fan club) who are disappointed with AIDA's recent decisions and behaviour. Please tell us how this universal disappointment is being addressed. Tell us what amazing courses or competitions are being organised by AIDA. Tell us what we can do to help this organisation. These would be benefits, and I promise you that we are dying to hear them.

But Dieter how do you expect to
“open the eyes” for some people, especially newcomers, to join AIDA family
by launching a personal attack of slander on Eric?

So far you have been a poor ambassador for AIDA...

Hey, hey, hey...

Didn´t you read Mr. Baumann´s thread.

(I just finished work on ***Freediver education video, last part, ****video has to be done now)

Do you think that this is an easy job???
Working for AIDA, even on a national level can be hard work. Not only to arrange courses and competitions (wich you obviously have overlooked -talking about judges courses, freediver courses. Talking about a World Championship in Canada, indoor competitions all over the world and many more)

Mr. Baumann is probably reciving over 200 mails pr day!!!!!
I think that we should give him a little more credit than this.
He is really working for AIDA.

Mr. Baumann HAS made some controvercial judgements the last year -YES! But he has had the AIDA-rules on his side EVERY time!!!

If someone has a problem with the rules they can either:

1: Start working with the AIDA.
We have this wonderfull Athletes AIDA-list, where it is possible to discuss the rules that you don´t like. These discussions are taken VERY seriously by the AIDA Execuitive Board, and the outcom will show in the votations that the Assembly makes about the rules every year.
As a member of an AIDA-National you have the right to contact the Assembly-member of your country and state your opinion to him/her before the votations.
The Athletes-list is open to all active ADIA-freedivers.

2: You are not an AIDA-member. SHUT UP!!!!
This Blue-paper-thing: It must have taken some time to create it!
Why not use this time to work in the right forums?
Some of the ideas was actually OK.

There are some AIDA members who only want to USE the rules and complain about them, instead of getting into the ring and work to improve them. Always yelling: This is wrong, and this is wrong! But where are you guys when it is time to speak up??

Just wondering...

Peter P

Well Dieter has left the building and will not discuss anymore.
I wish this mail had started where it says "The benefits of AIDA...".
The rest I think should be sent to to Eric as a "personal message".
Eric might have his faults but I learnt nothing from this.
And I dont think this thread will develop in a positive way.

Let me instead repost a part of a message I posted under the thread "end of Aida":
RESULTAT :Magnus 73 meter, Sebbe 108 meter / 6.06 min, Nicklas BO(75), Hans-O LMC (90), Klara 67 (utan fenor) / 3.34 min, Martin 62 meter / 4.13 min, Eric 100 (gummifenor), Nicklas Skägg 76 meter / 4.17 min, Jonas 74 / 4.25 minuter, Pelle 4.56 min.

It is the results from the Club championships of the ”Gothenburg apnea society”. We have held two competitions so far this year.

We find this a good way of evaluationg our training and add some exitement to our lives. We use Aida rules and we judge each other. We are slowly learning the system of countdowns, resurfacing proceeddures e t c. We coach each other and penalize each other for just the simplest rule violation.
Right now we have a frenchman visiting the club (Eric Chapuis). It is very inspiring and also very good that he is from an AIDA club himself so we dont have to discuss any formalities.

What I am saying to you is that this is happening all the time all around the world. Small competitions among friends. All relying on the same set of rules.
I am proud to be part of this growing movement – I somewhat feel like a pioneer.

This summer I went to the Azores and through the Aida list I found some freedivers and we arranged our own small unofficial competition. Four teams; sweden, south africa and two from portugal. Portugal won, I got disqualified by a portugeese guy judging me. What rules did we use? Aida rules (non of us thinks LMC belongs in competetive freediving and are willing to pay the price of partially subjective ruling).

The rest on:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=43107&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Sebastian/ Sweden

Hello Will,

Slanders (real or perceived) aside...

At this point, anything that you (or anyone) can do on behalf of AIDA will probably help as ours is a young sport and we need all the help we can get. As Chris Engelbrecht said in another post somewhere, you can just start by picking up a shovel.

If you see a shortfall in the rules, try a different rule at your next competition. The rules and statutes for the international competitions and organization are at the aidainternational.org site. Do you know what your national rules and statutes are? Are they the same or different from the international one? Does your AIDA national representative know how to represent you when they vote on these rules? You may want to take a look into it for yourself.

If you don't have judges, become one! For the record, I'm in the process of becoming an AIDA International Judge E. I am willing to put up my integrity by making the calls and taking the heat if I make the wrong one. We can talk about this and that bad call or disqualification all day long, but are you willing to learn the rules and try it for real? I am.

If anything you try works or doesn't work, let the rest of us know! chat_aida list exists, athlete_aida list exists, and other means to get your voice and opinions heard by the AIDA International people, even through this forum. But get your AIDA National people working for you. They are the ones who should bear the brunt of all the suggestions and prioritize what needs to be done. The folks at the international level are not necessarily working on the stuff that needs to happen at the local level first. If you and others are 'universally disappointed', then don't worry about the 'universal' level yet. Do what you can to help at the local level.

(Maybe Chris Engelbrecht can cross-post that organization chart so everyone can see how things are arranged.)

I know this may all sound hackneyed and you probably heard it all before, but that's essentially where we still are today. AIDA is whatever you and I make it to be, and won't change at the pace we all want unless there's manpower to back it up.

All the wonderful things you want done are being done by someone working in his/her spare time, so he/she probably needs a hand. Please try to think of AIDA in these terms as well.

Regards,

Peter Satitpunwaycha
USAA founding member
AIDA Judge E (in learning)

Last edited:
Bad start -> restart

I'm afraid I have to agree with Will on his last two points. This is a great topic but Dieter's opening post is already off topic.

Sorry Dieter.

If I could sum up the benefits of AIDA in one word I would say it is competitions. Other organizations have tried to host competitions but AIDA and its national bodies have been the ONLY ones to consistently host competitions at the international, national and local level.

The fact of having those AIDA competitions has had a PROFOUND effect on freediving. When I first heard of freediving it was all about The Big Blue and a few elite names doing sled dives. When I went to my first big international competition at the 2000 AIDA World Cup in Villefranch-sur-Mer I found myself walking along the narrow streets having this feeling of deja-vu. In my own special way I was living The Big Blue. Many of the big names were there too like Tanya Streeter and Umberto Pelizzari.

At these international competitions not only do you get a chance to meet the big names in the sport but you can compete head-to-head with them too. The results can be surprising. Many of the famous people end up being beaten by lesser-known talented freedivers. The competitons have brought about a democratization of the sport. It is no longer the realm of an elite few with deep pockets and/or a good media machine. It becomes a sport to DO not just watch.

I've been to four international competitons now and quite a few national and regional competitions in Canada. Each one is a great gathering of the clans where you get to renew friendships with kindred spirits from far away. The AIDA competitons build a strong sense of community. It's not at all like the fractious debate you see here on DeeperBlue or Freediver.

Now, having said all this I have to disclose that I have a vested interest in this topic. I am on the organizing committee and the webmaster for the AIDA World Championships in Vancouver this year. In that capacity it is part of my (volunteer) job to promote AIDA, competitions and coming to Vancouver. However, my feelings about AIDA and freediving (and even coming to Vancouver) formed long before this current job.

Tom Lightfoot
CAFA Vice President and Webmaster
www.aidaworlds2004.com
www.freedivecanada.com
www.performancefreediving.com

My personal opinion is that the initial message is bursting in hatred and should've been sent in private to the person for whom it was purposely intended to flame.

Benjamin Leclerc

The name of the thread made me expect something totally different, and something that I could easly find agreeable, since AIDA did contribute alot to the freediving world.
And yet, this is the first thread I've ever read in Deeper Blue that the person who opened the thread decided to make his first and only post WAAAY off topic.

I've chosen NOT to watch Jerry Springer or Ricky Lake, yet the same type of act is finding it's way into my favorite corner of the internet.

I'm not interested at all in this soap opera act that has started to take form here, it has nothing to do with freediving even if it's "performed" by feedivers. Please leave your personal arguments PERSONAL.

Another thing: I stoped following blindly after my mother when I was 4 years old (yes, I was a little menace as a child I guess).
People might not appriciate to be talked about as captured infants who follow blindly Eric's (or anybody else's) satanic propoganda.
What more, it is actually an insult!
Although I might follow Eric happily on many routes and ideas, I'll never do it blindly.

As I see it, Dieter's post was an act of aggression, but done in a place that is used for discussion. I don't think those kind of acts have palce here, they also can't actually contribute to the cause of the one making them.

The thread had an enlighting topic: 'The benefits of AIDA'.
The benefits of AIDA are well pointed by Tom and Peter.

From Dieter I learned that there are 2 newsgruops for AIDA. thank you for that.
I also learned that Dieter is a very busy man and that his time is very important so he must has priorities regarding to what he spends his time on.
That made me very surprised to discover that slandering Eric was more important than discussing the benefits of AIDA.

This all makes me think of Dieter, who is a man I don't know, and might be a real nice man in person (may we meet someday), as someone who made his apearance here, in the nature of a very little man. I'll be happy to be shown otherwise.

I had no will to learn such things. I wanted to read about the benefits of AIDA. :(

One last thing: Can one justify asking a diver not compete if he doesn't agree with the rules?
Could you explain how asking Eric not to dive under AIDA rules makes it a benefit AIDA has to offer?

I don't agree with all the rules of my country, should I be asked to return my citizenship?
We're all here because we love freediving, the more people that freedive, the better.

I'm writing this post just in hope that eventhough Dieter has chosen to post his harsh words and then take the "talk to the hand 'coz the face ain't listening" atitude, he might read it again and might make a constructive comeback.

As for me, I don't agree with any complete set of rules as far as I know. But I'll take my chance diving under AIDA, FREE, IAFD, FDI or BBC for all I care. I'm there for the DIVE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrian
Originally posted by Longfins
(Maybe Chris Engelbrecht can cross-post that organization chart so everyone can see how things are arranged.)

I've pasted the graphical version of how AIDA works and how one has the ability to change things. It's not an official file, just my own attempt to make things easier understandable:

Attachments

• aida_structure.jpg
    aida_structure.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 589
yall make me glad Im a spearo...Dieter, thats not a good way to win people over. Sling some mud then try to take the high road and say you wont comment further???? Ever thought about running for office? Sounded like a presidential speach..."Let me tell you what I believe in, well the other guy is wrong, he's a liar, and he snuck out of military service...vote for me.":cool:

Wow,

Day after day I see posts by truly great freedivers on this forum, helping to pass information along to anyone with an honest question. How many people are now using the Frenzel-Fattah meathod of equalizing? How many learned how to equalize using that document? How many people have been given really good training and technique advice by Eric Fattah? Anyone notice recently that there are fluid goggles being used to set WR's that are also available for sale? Not to take away from all the good advice and comments that come from other freedivers, but we've got one of the leaders of AIDA making a personal attack on someone who has helped me personally, and many others as well. Someone made the comment on the "Greatest Freediver" thread that maybe the greatest freediver was one who had helped alot of people. This was said in reference to Eric, and I had to agree. Now I'm happy that Dieter is working on a video, and I'm also glad that he's doing what he thinks he should to further freediving, but comments like his only shake my confidence in AIDA even more. From my vantage point I can see alot of what Eric has done to further the sport, and only a little of what Dieter has done.

Dieter, if you read this thread, I'm a new freediver. You've certainly "opened my eyes." And it's difficult for me to really wholeheartedly support an organization with someone as negative as yourself helping to direct the organization. Please do post again, but next time give us some examples of the "benefits of AIDA." In spite of my current negative reaction, I realize that there are many many benefits of AIDA.

Thanks for all that you do for the community Eric. BTW, if there's ever a fan club, let me know! ;)

Aaron

I met simo (a DB member from Finland) last year -- pure chance, but I've met a lot of other DBers under even stranger circumstances, so ...

At any rate, simo has actually dived with Topi Lintunkangas, so I was interested in knowing a little more about the Topi-nator.
Simo was not at all star-struck by Topi -- all simo cared about was whether I knew Eric Fattah. I guess he figured, you know, same continent and all that ;). I was able to claim that I knew some guys who knew him, which seemed to earn me a few lukewarm cool points:cool:.

It is impossible to deny the contributions that Eric has made to the sport. That his main contribution might be realized by staying away from freediving is so ridiculous that it's kind of funny.

Reactions: Alun
It seems that Dieter feels he's surrounded by assholes.

Dude, I'll look into it for ya!

edited to mek eet moor preecize

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezman
Few people will go to the depths of analysis and experiment, and then openly share their findings with any one who wishes to listen as Eric does. Eric has done more for the sport through this forum than any other diver or organization out there, completely free of charge, I might add. The first post should have been private and is nothing but a personal rant.
Jim

Reactions: Pezman
hi

Your a bloody dic#head dieter what the hell do you want to prove by trying to make a fool or Eric in your post. I don't give a damn about you and your bunch of idiot mates who run AIDA do what you want with AIDA but don't slang Eric. Eric has helped a hell of a lot more people than you have on freediving and you may what to thank him one day for that as im sure some of his information has sent some people your way into comp freediving.

cheers

I think some people are missing the point.
There are many many benefits of AIDA but it can be done better.

Dieter have worte "...took me some time to surf around on DB, checking out what’s going on here. I could find a lot of interesting and positive things about scuba diving, spearfishing and freediving.""

So Dieter & AIDA know now what is going on in Freedivers head, what the problems, the questions, the suggesions etc....

I dont want to read political speaks about AIDA. I whant to read what AIDA will do to make thinks better.

About Eric Fattah: When I have began to show more intress in Freediving it was ERIC that help me with tips and trics. Eric have answer to my (many times stupid) emails. Erics Frenzel-Fattah method help me to be a better freediver.. and i will not forget this.

By the way it sounds like AIDA or Dieter have now and only now read the forums in Deeperblue.

IF AIDA is serious about the work that they do the must have contact with the freedivers and the best way to do this is forums like this.

Like a say.. There are many many benefits of AIDA but AIDA must not forget what many times other forget. The power of AIDA is comming from the Freedivers.

Lets stop the dirty talk and begin searching for new solutions.

Lambis

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dieter Baumann
Of course Eric and his fan club will try to distort the facts I wrote,
Dieter Baumann
]

Jealousy and slander are a bad combination coming from a leader of an organisation.
If you want to hold the honour of being a leader, then you better understand that the job always comes with criticism and shit-disturbers, plus you are expected to defend your position. How else can you convince me that you're right? Maybe I'll listen if you speak (a little more professionally next time, please). How else is an organisation like AIDA to evolve?
Eric has helped countless divers purely for the love of the activity. Yes he is opinionated and "to the point", but so be it. He states what many of us feel when incidents like Stephane's happen. With Coste, I was pissed. Then this static record getting thrown out...I felt like saying "F@#k it", what's the point of being involved with this crap. Just let me dive. AIDA is in danger of losing members but you seem more concerned with a personal vendetta.
We all admire Eric, and you can call us a fan club if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that AIDA has a few stupid protocols that need to be changed.
Be a leader, argue your position, and above all be professional and take the high road. Then we'll listen.
Erik Y.

For the Eric fan club,

I'm not writing to take sides or defend anyone. I just try and look at the "Big" picture. So here are a few observations and comments of my own.

A while back Eric announced that he would never take part in an AIDA event ever again and to my knowalge that is true. So why does he care so much about what happens in AIDA? Will he rejoin if he gets his way?

I understand the frustration of of an organization that doesn't work for you. That is why I am no longer a founding member of the USAA. I think there are some good things they are trying to do, but I dissagree with some too. But they don't get my comments about them on this or any forum because I do not wish to insult the good people that have good ideas that are involved with the organization by generalizing them. I have even encouraged people to join their organization since I have left. No hard fellings.

Eric and Dieter seem to have issues with each other that need to be delt with and I personally don't care if it's here or in private.

On the topic of Eric being model freediver or some kind of guru, I have read many posts that if read by a newbie could be dangerous.

Eric said that any well trained freediver can do a static of 6:30, but to go beyond this, the only way to do it was to do it his way. Well that answer was taken seriously by a friend of mine who is not a newbie, but a very good diver and blacked himself out at the local pool, but thanks to the quick thinking of his wife he is still here to tell us what he remembers of that day. I have been over 7:00 quite a few times and I don't do it his way and I'm pretty sure that Mr. Mifsud doesn't do it his way either.

Not to take away from the impact of a well writen paper on an equalizing technique, but the first name in the Frenzal-Fattah is the real founder of the technique. How many of you out there knew that? For the newbies not many.

Eric has also on many occations made negative comments about AIDA and it's reps for various reasons and does not respond to people questioning him about it.

Some of you have said that this forum is not for personal responses or attacks or whatever you would like to call it and yet Eric does it towards AIDA almost every time he posts about them.

I agree that Dieter's title to the thread was misleading, but he has the right to post whatever he wants on this site (less saying he is going to kill someone) just as all of you do. Some of your posts were just as bad as his.

It is true that Eric has had some good ideas about what should be changed in the AIDA rules, one in particular is the LMC rule. He has a very good idea of making the athlete respond to different visuals after the dive or static. I personaly know of athletes that train themselves to hide sambas, there was a big controvercy over one just recently.

Dieter has also put in a lot of hard work to help the sport. The guy travels around the world doing video and homolog*&%$ing (I can never remember that word ;-) ) records. There are probably many other things he does for the organization that none of us know about. I'm sure he is swamped with emails that he has to sift through and respond to on a daily basis answering questions and complaints. I'll bet mostly complaints.

I think both Eric and Dieter have done good things for the sport, Eric is just more vocal about it.

I feel bad for the guys that had their records taken away over a rule violation, but there has been a violation that was overturned in favor of the athlete recently also. The fact is, there are rules and we as athletes have to abide by them. Our sport has some difficult rules to follow and to judge, but until we start getting paid for what we do we need to be a little more compationate toward the volunteers making the rules. Would you like to be in their shoes taking the flack they everyone throughs at them? I wouldn't.

This forum and any public forum is for just this purpose, to voice oppinions be it positive or negative. This is the beauty of the internet, the last true place where we "all" can have freedom of speech.

DSV

P.S. Erik Y. I always enjoy reading your posts. You are one of the most level headed people that post on this forum, BUT your last post shocked me. It started out good then it seemed a bit emotional. You have always had a good veiw of both sides of the coin, but this time it seems very one sided. What's up with that?

Reactions: cebaztian
So far I have stayed silent in this thread, however the above post by DSV contains so many errors that I feel compelled to defend myself. I will address several points:

Originally posted by DSV

A while back Eric announced that he would never take part in an AIDA event ever again and to my knowalge that is true.

Incorrect. First of all, I stated that I would not make deep training dives without adequate safety, which meant not taking part in official AIDA training sessions. I have been competing in AIDA competitions every year since 2000, without any breaks.

Originally posted by DSV

So why does he care so much about what happens in AIDA?

I feel EXTREMELY offended by the above comment. Every day I work on trying to develop the sport. Even at this very moment I'm working on several inventions I hope will have a positive impact. When I fight for better rules, when I bring up issues, it has NOTHING to do with me. I fight for the rights of the worthy and the innocent. I hate seing unfairness. I hate seeing people dive with inadequate safety. I am fighting for their safety, for their fair treatment. It makes no difference if I ever compete in another competition. I still have every right to fight for better rules, and a better freediving world. If you witness a car accident and do nothing to save the victims, then you are guilty of inaction. If I have the ability to improve the rules & safety, then I must act, otherwise I am guilty of inaction. I ask DSV: what did I 'gain' from writing the equalizing document? What was 'in it' for me? Please find something, because according to you I must be a very selfish person. What about the fluid goggles? I lost so much money on them (and will never make it all back); what was 'in it' for me? I wanted to make an improvement to the sport.

Originally posted by DSV

Eric said that any well trained freediver can do a static of 6:30, but to go beyond this, the only way to do it was to do it his way.

I never said anything remotely close to that, and I challenge DSV to quote the exact post(s) where I said something like that. If you claim that your friend blacked out as a result of something I posted, then why not be more specific as to what technique he was using; at least that way you can SAVE OTHER PEOPLE from the same fate.

Originally posted by DSV

Not to take away from the impact of a well writen paper on an equalizing technique, but the first name in the Frenzal-Fattah is the real founder of the technique. How many of you out there knew that? For the newbies not many.

Once again, incorrect. The title of my equalizing document is 'The FRENZEL technique, step-by-step.' If you don't believe that, check it out yourself:
http://www.ericfattah.com/equalizing.html
At the end of the document I introduce a different technique, the two-chamber method of deep equalizing, which has little in common with the frenzel. That is the technique which was dubbed frenzel-fattah.

Originally posted by DSV

Eric has also on many occations made negative comments about AIDA and it's reps for various reasons and does not respond to people questioning him about it.

Again, please post examples or this comment has no worth.

Originally posted by DSV

Some of you have said that this forum is not for personal responses or attacks or whatever you would like to call it and yet Eric does it towards AIDA almost every time he posts about them.

Again, please post examples or the comment has no worth.

Originally posted by DSV

He has a very good idea of making the athlete respond to different visuals after the dive or static.

Thank you for the compliment, however I always fight for fairness, and it is not fair to complement me for something I didn't do. The above idea was not my idea at all, it was Tyler Zetterstrom's idea. Compliment him.

Originally posted by DSV

I feel bad for the guys that had their records taken away over a rule violation, but there has been a violation that was overturned in favor of the athlete recently also.

I'm not aware of that. In Annabel's case there was never any violation to start off with. Which case are you referring to? I find it frustrating that none of your comments are backed by examples.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by DSV

P.S. Erik Y. I always enjoy reading your posts. You are one of the most level headed people that post on this forum, BUT your last post shocked me. It started out good then it seemed a bit emotional. You have always had a good veiw of both sides of the coin, but this time it seems very one sided. What's up with that?

Hi DSV, thanks for the compliment and respect.
I can be very emotional, believe it or not! Eric is a friend who helped me (and many others that I know )tons and tons over the last few years, and I occasionally get upset when mud is slung his way. He's a man; capable of defending himself, but sometimes one steps in for a friend.
Please notice that I stated he is "brusque" and "to the point", which is not really supportive of his online communication abilities.
I also gave Deiter the benefit of the doubt, asking him to reiterate his position: coming on a forum, dumping all over somebody, then saying that he'll never address the topic again is not good politics, leadership or professionality, whether the roles are volunteer or not.
I meant to speak to the actual topic of the thread, but ran out of time at work.
AIDA has helped me accomplish great things, and challenge myself in friendly competition. I have met people I love and will cherish through AIDA (CAFA) forever, and I would be sad to see AIDA fall apart. The recent badly done rejections of record attempts are frustrating to us all, and as I said before, my first reaction when I read about Stephane was ""I quit". But I wont.
I hope to dive with you someday,
Cheers,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT