• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Best Snorkeling Sessions and Spots - Share Your Secrets Here

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

japppo

Jan 3, 2015
Post it or it didn't happen. I've had amazing underwater encounters over the years, but this 1 hour session contained so many encounters that I have to share it. Please post your marine life encounters on this thread, I know there are many spots that are in the reach of shore dives and snorkelers.
This was filmed in Akumal Bay, Mexico, June 2017.

Reactions: Aerwyna
Sadly nobody has posted their cool spots here. Videos would be nice, but just sharing nice places around the world is the point.
In any case, here's another cool spot. It was filmed in Santa Catalina Island, near Los Angeles California, June 2018. You can take a ferry to Two Harbors and start snorkeling from the beach and go to Fisherman's Cove. It's a protected area with lots of marine life.

Nice! That looked relaxing. Are there any fish in that quarry?

Thanks! That was exactly what I was hoping to see. Good job by telling the spot names in Tenerife. I'm definitely going there someday.

This is another of my favorite spots; La Jolla in San Diego California. I think its the easiest spot to see sea lions underwater. There's a lot more to see, like lobsters and guitarfish. Some people have seen sea turtles and leopard sharks there, but I haven't been so lucky.
Anyhow, here are some sea lions from June 2018:

Reactions: Aerwyna
This is one of the clearest lakes in Finland, Valkiajärvi near Kitee in eastern Finland. It is a popular dive spot with quite deep areas as well. There are big perch and pike. Also some burbot in the deeper parts. I was told that all the crayfish died from a disease recently and this could affect the fish numbers as well.

Reactions: MarcinB and Aerwyna
Awesome videos! Japppo that's a very clear lake indeed.
Thanks thomaz! There is also a clear freshwater spring here nearby. It does not freeze in the winter, so I'm planning to go filming there at night. Maybe this weekend. There are lots of nice trouts there to film. Can't wait for it.

Reactions: thomaz
Thanks thomaz! There is also a clear freshwater spring here nearby. It does not freeze in the winter, so I'm planning to go filming there at night. Maybe this weekend. There are lots of nice trouts there to film. Can't wait for it.
Can't wait to see that. We'll be visiting San Diego soon for an event and needs to finish a buddy's truck project there. He ordered the new brake kit, xd wheels and shocks, etc. Hope to find some time to go trout fishing there.

Reactions: japppo
Can't wait to see that. We'll be visiting San Diego soon for an event and needs to finish a buddy's truck project there. He ordered the new brake kit, xd wheels and shocks, etc. Hope to find some time to go trout fishing there.
Thanks, I did the dive last weekend. Just some work in process... Taking pics in the dark with a gopro is a challenge. I hope the video turns out better...

Attachments

• G0012660.JPG
    G0012660.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 239
East coast of United Arab Emirates is perfect for snorkeling. Lot of marine life (incredible numbers of turtles and high chance for a shark encounter) and shallow depths (<15m). Here are two videos from my recent freediving trip to UAE, dive sites' names are included in the descriptions.

Reactions: japppo
Awesome videos MarcinB! Here's the clip from my winter night with the trouts, just uploaded last week:

Reactions: MarcinB
Here's another of my favorite spots: Bahia Honda in the Florida key. I highly recommend going snorkeling there. About 1 km South from the old rail bridge is a small island, just like you could imagine being a castaway. The current was quite strong so it is good the take the tides and current direction into account before starting to swim out. I started swimming south from the beach and the current pushed me toward west and the small island. After one hour I reached the island and it was slack tide so I could swim back quite easily. I even made it to the bridge before the current started ripping again.
Here's a boring video compiled from that 2 hour session:

Hi freedivers

To Japppo (let me give you my opinion concerning the video…sorry, I am not tender but stern!)
Akula :
- a little bit green
- at 0:50 don’t hold the tuba in mouth under the water see good example « in a Quarry from TriggerDives»
- for the stability, it’s better to fix the camera on a tray hold with 2 hands ( see below the video of MicBergsma)
- the violent music is not adapted to underwater ambience.
- the titles are to big ( for me)

Snorkeling in California.
- The Bat rays…are you sure? They look like cowmouth ray?

You saw a nice fauna….( I'm not speaking about the girl... sexy indeed )

To TriggerDives
- Where is this quarry situated?
- How deep are you going ?

To MarcinB
Dahab
Nice fauna… that it’s always better to film at the same deep of the subject or better if you are below…when it’s possible.

To Japppo
Your message « Jan 15 and 24, 2019 video not available

To MarcinB
United Arab Emirates 1 and 2
- What was the water temperature?
- Nice fauna
- Nice Music

To Japppo
Winter under water In Finland. Around 1995, in February, I spent 2 weeks at Vasa and 2 weeks at Helsinky during a stage by ABB
- What was the Water temperature ?
- Nice trout

In Florida
It's very long ... too long.
I know it's difficult to cut, but there are some passages that are not interesting and more, why did you repeat the beginning from 11:00 ???
Nice fauna sometimes

In general try to stabilise your video camera…the perch is surely not the best solution…Except with the GOPRO 7

I like what he says and especially at 5:04 =>

All the swift camera displacements (*) should be avoid or cut during the edition
(*) up and down or right and left

Now…it’s my turn …Don’t be nice but strict…with my videos here below.

I'm joking —> let take a drink and popcorn or whatever you want

Concerning the videos resolution choose always the best one.

Up to 2015 I filmed with my first video camera in 720P and HD 1080p later ( with the second video camera)

In a Quarry

- La Gombe in Belgium => https://vimeo.com/142274793
- Same quarry with Sony HDR-AS50 without any post treatment =>

Maldives 2015 ( not HD but choose 720p)
- =>

Indonesia
- Raja Ampat => Indonésie Kri n°1 2017 =>

Red sea
- Mer Rouge rétrospective Abu Dabbab 2008 =>
- Dolphins ( not HD ) =>
- (Zerib Kebir) in a small cave =>

Your comments are welcome and be as harsh as me, so we can improve our "productions".

I Thank you in advance

Cheers

Dcvf, thanks for your comments. The sea temperature in UAE at that time was ~23C.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT