• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Cold Blue (spearfishing the Med)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mufazalov

Dec 25, 2010
Merry X-Mas Spearos!
Here is my recent video on spearfishing in the Mediterranean. The weather is getting cold and the sea temp dropped to 18'C here... Chilly :)

Spearfishing in the Med is considered boring by some people("pf, you guys are diving in empty areas targeting little fishes"), however to me, it is the true art.
We dont have (well, very seldom) giant fishes coming straight into your face and you have to be very good to get decent fish.

Enjoy in HD :)

Nice one. You have better luck than me in the Med, all I catch are royal bream. What country is that in?

Thanks, Gab. I live in Turkish Cyprus, thats the north coast of the Island of Cyprus.
Very seldom we see royal bream here. I saw them maybe 10 times in 4 years of spearfishing, 3 times a week, from very shallow to super deep :)
Where did u spearfish?

Cool, I was in the south side last year but not for spearfishing. I saw them in different places along Italy and in the Canary Islands. I agree with you though, spearfishing in the Med is more challanging IMHO. Unfortunately the reason for that is (commercial) overfishing, I don't think that will ever change as there are too many countries that must agree to do anything.

Nice diving. That's some deep spearfishing.

It's a pity about the Med. I have heard stories from 25-30 yrs ago and it was much different then. :(

Nice diving. That's some deep spearfishing.

It's a pity about the Med. I have heard stories from 25-30 yrs ago and it was much different then. :(

Thank you, ApneaAddict.
Our Sea deteriorated quite fast if you compared to few years ago. I remember seeing good fishes from the surface in 2009-2010... Now its a different story. Still, almost every other day you see some very good groupers/dentexs :)

tHAT is some deep spearing!! How long were your dives +-?
Hi, MozSpearer, this was not the deepest I ve been, but it clearly shows that you dont have to go super deep for decent fish. But, well, the dives should be a bit longer :)
I dont know the times, as I have a dead Suunto D4i, but I would say 3 min max.

Nice!! My best one freediving(not spearing) was 1 min 20 secs. Deepest +- 18m. Longest spearing dive 55 seconds. Longest spearing dive with a fish caught( 35 seconds). I'm 15 so maybe times will improve. If I get to go spearing more than once a year it might get better too. Thanx for quick reply

I agree though that it is an art. To not freak out when you know you are so far from air and safety requires a lot of self control.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT