• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The day I almost drowned

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sharkman

Apr 5, 2001
Myself and a few mates were diving a small bommie section just off a tropical Island down here in North Queensland, Australia, and my other two mates were Scuba Diving nearby while I was trying to spear a few fish for Dinner . The water was clear and there were a few nice fish around with some quite large Coral Trout cruising the drop off edge. I was working a group of large isolated bommies when I spotted a good size Coral Trout next to one of the large Bommies. I made a dive on him and took the shot . I'd clean missed him. I then noticed that there was a cave at the bottom of the Bommie. I dived down and looked in the cave and sure enough here was the same fish that I had just missed . So I lined him up again and let him have it. The shot was good but the spear line came off the shaft. I couldn't believe it and had to resurface for air. I knew he wasn't going far so I breathed up and went back down after him. I entered the cave and grabbed my shaft and the fish. Just as I did one of my fins became caught in a crevice and I couldn't manage to get it off to escape. I pannicked and hit my head, grazing my forehead a bit. And then the next thing that happened was I saw a very bright light and then found myself on the surface minus one fin, spearshaft,fish and goggles. I swam back to the boat very shook up and my friends saw me in the boat and asked whats wrong. I told them what happened and wasn't until I showed them the cuts on my head and no fin ,that they believed me. My mate ended up going down with tanks and found my lost fin, after about five minutes of looking, all torn up aand wrecked.

I know it sounds cornie, but It's all true and to this day I still don't know how I got out of that cave ,and how my fin got caught or if maybe something grabbed it. Whatever happened it is the scariest diving experience I've had so far in my life and hopefully it will be the last.

glad you're ok.

us spearos wince at stories like these. predicaments like that are always in the back of my mind, so i always signal to my buddy before i go back down to retrieve a fish(minnow or mackerel).

have any mermaids down under? could be, never know... :D

anderson

Andrsn,
Thanks for your reply, yeah it was pretty freaky thats for sure. And yes we do have plenty of mermaids down here, the topless beach dwelling type.
Sharkman:cool:

Erik,
Yeah, I'm diving more now than ever before because I'm in training for the Australian Titles in about three weeks time held here in my home town,Townsville,North Queensland.(just south of Cairns.)
I'm not real good but hope to get in the top 40 would be great.And also it should be good to meet some of the pro's too. Hopefully I'll get fairly fit by then too so I'll just see how I go.
Sharkman :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT