• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 7 - Handle Style Choice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What style of handle would you like?

• Plain ambidextrous style

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Anatomical stye right hand

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Anatomical left hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bare hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gloved hand

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • optional, removable side plates or heat moldable plastic

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The Deeperblue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Handle Style Discussion

Great stuff chaps, keep the discussion going (shame more members dont join in though) But dont forget that the big speargun manufacturers have done a lot of testing to discover what works best. However our gun is individual & a well shaped handle really does make a gun look special. I wonder if interchangeable grips or even a slip on complete grip would be possible. Either way I dont know if a metal frame is necessary? I was thinking more along the lines of an integrated handle (fitted in the normal fashion) but with simple screw on interchangeable side plates ?

Ηι All,

I feel I'm butting in as i did not take part in the previous discussions...

I'm totally in favor of a customized personal handle....

a general handle is a :naughty:rcard

perhaps the gun can be finished with a general handle (so that the groove for the handle is opened , and the gun to be finished around it..but the handle not glued in) ...

The constant here will be:
---------------------------
1. the position of the hand of the spearo when holding the handle, in relation to the gun-shaft (as higher as possible)

Variables
--------
1. Dimensions of the handle to fit small-big hands (or personal preference)
2. Left or Right handed handle (or even unisex :t)
3. Angle of handle in relation to the gun axis
4. anatomical shape to fit exactly in our hand with comfort and have strong hold (using a glove of course)
5. Distance of the trigger from the handle (i mean when you hold the handle how far to reach for the trigger...i don't know if i explain myself well here)

Now, from the 6 items (1 constant 5 variables) to take in consideration when designing the handle (for effectiveness and not looks) 85 % is from the variable group.

So...to sacrifice 85 % of the 'effective function' of the handle would be a bad thing......you will 'cripple' :crutch the gun ....

My opinion is that:
whoever the lucky winner is, he/she can go and buy some molding material.

he/she will then get a stick and put the molding material on it and shape it to his/her very personal preference (using a glove always) and try out some trigger spacings and note the distance from the finger....also try and figure out what angle is best for you, comfort and aiming etc

Then these information can be given to the builder , together with the molding of the personalized handle and the builder could 'transfer' it on wood !!!

I understand the the 'copy' of the mold on the wood will not be a 100% copy but it will be still be very very good !!!!

My opinions....

P.S some members mention that if this was the case then the winner should get to chose number of bands, length of gun etc...

as this part(the handle) is easily changed to another, its worth the extra effort to do so

Thanks,

George

Reactions: Pastor

I guess I don't see the handle to be this involved. How many custom guns have fully molded grips available? I have not seen one, but if someone knows, I really would be interested in their process.

I'm sticking with Foxfish's idea of replaceable grips then it could come with left and right handed grips with a thumb rests. Then if the winner has the ability, they can make their own molded/custom shaped grip.

So what are the options?

1. General purpose grip like comercial guns
  2. Chance a right handed gun with a semi customised grip
  3. Fixed centre section with either screw on left or right handed semi customised attachments
  4. Fixed centre section with Polymorph for the winner to shape themselves.
  5. General purpose grip with adjustable supports for under the hand and thumb.
  6. Fully customised handle with the winner to travel to see the gits or send him/her a model of their perfect grip

The issue with no4, from my point of view, is that stuff looks s...t! I know it works well but it might spoil the looks of an otherwise beautiful gun?
The other point, from my point of view, is that in the winter most of us wear cloves & in the summer we dont.

Reactions: Pastor

Hmm, never thought of that one, it's always too cold up here.

Is No 5 the best compromise then? Spaghetti posted a picture a while ago with an arrangement like that.

Naa no6 with all expenses paid rofl

Reactions: ILDiver

So how much would you pay and how far would you travel for 'perfect grip' foxy? :inlove

I would think No 5 is the best option, like people have said, glove - no glove; right or left handed problem..

The winner will not have to travel to go to the builder, unless he wishes to and he/she lives near by.

the winner can post the molding he/she makes of his anatomical shape to the builder.

im sure teh builder will be able to 'carve' the handle to the shape of teh mold, given by the winner...or at least it will be an 80% perfect personal fit, instead of a universal one...

and believe me, if you have used a universal handle and then a personal anatomical one (ON THE SAME GUN) you will know the difference...

surely it must be made of wood and not other moulding material (the finished product) to keep the wood 'magic' look !!

universal :naughty
persoanl anatomical :inlove

We are talking about a 90cm gun here. Most shots no greater than 4m really. An anatomical grip is a nice idea, but overboard imo.

I'm still interested in seeing one in use on a speargun. Anyone know of someone that has a gustom grip like this with pictures? I've seen them on hand guns, but they only make a difference when your talking grouping shots under an inch in a competition.

Fox, I've never been over there, I can't wait to meet you when I pick up my gun

Reactions: foxfish

Nice thought Chris but I can assure you the gun is not being built in my neck of the woods.

hi...

custom handles to fit my hand ..
nto exactly like the photos of the hand guns but shaped for comfy and snag fit on my hand.... thumb rest and the pointy bits help act like a lever to turn gun...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/speargun squintus/DSC09981.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/speargun squintus/DSC09983.jpg

another gun

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/1-1.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/2-1.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/3.jpg

and so that i tell you that on a 90 cm it is still good idea for anatomical here is my wifes 65cm (loading length) a bit longer actual size

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/1.jpg

So..i think your 90cm would do nicely with a customized handle :friday

Last edited:
Reactions: ILDiver

Nice, who is the builder of that gun? You build it yourself?

Nice thought Chris but I can assure you the gun is not being built in my neck of the woods.
I figure if I'm going to be flown in, I could tour the entire region Of course for all I know it could be being built here in Peoria!

Now that is the sort of gun shape I was wittering about, just imagine that with the sunken track.

Nice, who is the builder of that gun? You build it yourself?

HI Chris,

yes, i built these...

today actually...in 20 minutes im off to the sea so that my wife can test hers on aq polysterine target

i made other handles in the past (sort of universal anatomic ones) but believe me...a handle that your hand sits comfortably in make a lot of difference...

so much that on one other gun im gonna cut theold one out and make a new one....

here is the one that i dont like (it fits most peoples hand, including mine of course, but it nowhere as good feel-fit like the others...so its gonna get the chop..:blackeye :martial)

Also the angle of the handle to the gun-shaft is not perfect for me. i would like a smaller angle..

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/speargun galactica/DSC00003.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/speargun galactica/DSC09993.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/gserghiou/speargun galactica/DSC09994.jpg

Last edited:

Ye gods those are nice guns! Care to start a thread featuring your builds? I'm sure plenty of people are interested and we'll keep this thread clean(ish).

Reactions: foxfish

Those are some great looking guns. I've only built one myself and the grip is still a work in progress. Good ideas.

Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 7 - Handle Style Choic

Poll has been added - vote away folks!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…