• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Guernsey spearfishing & social 2016

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
After the success of this years event https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...015-uk-member-meet.102519/page-18#post-948602 I though we could start a discussion on this page.

I think next years event will be the 9th successive gathering of Deeper Blue members. It seems we have evolved into a friendly regular group.

I love the general enthusiasm towards the spearfishing regardless of the weather & I love the social side.
However we realise that for some folk, the expense involved is considerable.

The social evenings (even if the food & venues are good) were not cheap this year!
So we are open for any suggestions for next year....

I think there is plenty of potential for the numbers to grow but, for this to happen the format would have to change.
20 spearos in the water at one time, in one bay, is not a number I would like to increase but (with help) cooking for 40 is quite achievable.

I think the first step for next year is to establish a date.
We all know the fishing improves in the autumn but as the event is primarily a social affair, I feel July - August is still a good bet?
So if anyone has any suggestions, please post them here ...

You can find the predicted tides here... http://www2.digimap.gg/tides/draughts.aspx

Hi Martyn,
I have spoken to most the Jersey guys and it seems everyone is keen to come and dive again next year!! With regards to the date, July/August should provide the most reliable weather so makes sense to organise it round this time. I know a few guys were keen on trying to dive some slightly smaller tides but really we are not that fussy!

Reactions: jerseymike
Hi Dan, thanks for the input.
Yes, smaller tides for next year sounds like a good idea.
I like to pick the tides to correspond with a mid afternoon weigh in so we can meet up in the early evening.
However we can mix and match as that only need apply to the Sunday?

Meh :-( it's looking increasingly certain that I'll not be able to make this years meet - work is going to stop play :-(

It just wont be the same without you and your family Granti :(

July 30th & 31st (sat sun) looks good to me, entering the water around low tide in the morning?

Date
< July 2016 >
Sat Sun
30 31

Approx. High & Low water times rounded to 10 mins(all times are BST or GMT as applicable)
Tide Times Time Height

Low Water 11:30 2.47
High Water 17:30 8.28

Hi Martyn, tides look good, I am looking fwd to it. A suggestion, hangovers permitting, and there will be a few in the Jsy camp! IMO, whilst not everyone may want to get up early, it would be ideal to fish a bit of the drop, as well as the rise.................so how do you feel about starting an hour or two before low both days? and fishing to + 3-4hrs after low? say 9am Sat and 9.30am Sun starts?

Reactions: jerseydan
Hi Mike that is fine by me however a 9am start obviously means getting up pretty early for you guys!
How about a compromise... low is at 10.20 on the Saturday & 11.30 on Sunday how about a 9.30 start on both days?
With such early starts, we could make the competitions 6 hours long.

Hi Mart

Firstly, thanks for the invite over to Guernsey again. It's very much appreciated. Suggested dates are good for me.

Secondly, no stress on start times, they have not affected my poor fishing performance in Guernsey to date!

Lastly, really looking forward to catching up at the event.

Jase.

Reactions: Spirit and foxfish
So I can confirm that the weekend of July the 30th & 31st will be the date of our meeting and competition :)

To be fair I feel it will be best to invite all last years participants to re enter the 2016 event before we make it an open invitation as the number will be limited to 20 divers in the water during the competitions.

Please let me know if you be attending:

Andy Linehan
Chris Mills
Cobus Jacobs
Dan Noble
Grant Laidlaw
Jason Prouten
Kerin Sargent
Matt Le Clercq
Mike Shearer
Paul Achler
Paul Collas
Thomas Todd
Jonny 250
Matt Gurney
Nasy (Kerin's friend)
Edin Begic

Reactions: jerseymike
Hi Mart

Dates look good, not too bothered on times.. you guys know the best times to fish your areas so i leave that up to you!

thanks for invite and looking forward already!

Reactions: foxfish
Thanks Mart, i would like to come along and say hi to everyone but presently have lost the spearo thrill, preferring to just do drops and watch, so i will hope to be around but please let someone else have my space.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT