• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Legends of spearfishing report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

acevedo joseph

Feb 25, 2006
I wanted to share a report about a once in a lifetime Spearfishing event we held in San Diego , California it was called the “Legends of Spearfishing” , I have been hesitant to post a report about the event , because I was hoping somebody with better writing skills would do a write up for the board ,.. Anyways this event was one of those events you had to be there to truly appreciate .. It all went by so fast it was like a hazy dream …

How it came to be = about 6 or 7 months ago ,I was in the James & Joseph Dive shop looking at the mini spear fishing museum they have in the shop ,, as I was going threw Jack Prodonavich’s personal photo album , I mentioned to the shop owner “ man what I wouldn’t give to hear story’s from these guys” … then the light bulb went off
Some of these guys are still alive … so I approached the owner of the shop & asked “ would it be possible to invite some of these divers from the older generations to speak to some of the younger guys in the sport ?? Maybe we could have a small keg and BBQ ??” he didn’t even flinch he said “ no problem you have the keys to the shop” .. so I started approaching local San Diego divers and shortly there after had a small list of legends confirmed .. Things were ready to go for this small event ,, but I realized we are going to need a few raffle prizes to pay for the Grub and Grog .. This is the part of the event I hate , getting sponsorship:head .. So I called Sheri Daye to ask for some advise on the event , she was very helpful as always, and seemed exited about such a cool event , so half joking said “why don’t you & Art Pinder come over , it would really make this event special” when she said “sounds like fun we would love to come over” I almost crapped myself:blackeye …
So now a little bit of panic starts to set in , so I went straight to the Brains of are club John Haffner , within days he had everything laid out ,he had the Dive shop, Artist , and are Dive club fully involved , I’m talking spreadsheets , monthly meetings , conference calls every 7 days ,, this guy is no BS
Once we had the God Father of Spearfishing Art Pinder attending , everything else came easy , it really helped bring in allot of these legends , and getting sponsors

To Be continued …. In the meantime enjoy this video of one of the speakers , Bill Wagner [ame="http://vimeo.com/21540513"]Bil Wagner Legends on Vimeo[/ame]

BIG thanks to Kris Cram for the videos this guys amazing

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
One of the beautiful things about this event is that every thing seemed to happen organically , nothing forced ,, by the time it was all said and done we ended up with around 343 people in attendance ..
Its was a great time with all the great people in this community the artist , speakers , and divers :friday
It felt like a big family gathering .. One that I will never forget , Big thanks for all the guys that made this thing Happen

A few High lights for me , the day before the event my club “los Pistoleros” got to have a private dinner with a few of the legends , Don Bates , Del Wren , Sheri , Daryl Wong , & Art Pinder , that was a real treat:)

Another one was seeing My Son present a award / Special plaque to Big John Carroll , that was really cool :)

are club gave Art Pinder a cool gift a 1982 Jack Prodonavich spear gun,,:)

Also walking Marty Pasos from the Bottom Scratcher’s , to go meet his Hero’s Del Wren & Art Pinder :)

But the best highlight for me was seeing so many guys having such a good time honoring those that blazed the trails for us ,,,,:)

Here’s a few Pictures to enjoy most were shot by Del Wren

Viva Los Pistoleros

Attachments

• wong.jpg
    wong.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 158
  • terry art don bob weever legends.jpg
    terry art don bob weever legends.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC04947.JPG
    DSC04947.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04949.JPG
    DSC04949.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Thanks for the post Joe, the writing is fine buddy. Looking forward to seeing part two mate.

Cheers, Don

a few more pics , if anybody has any pics please postem up ..joe

Attachments

• donbates pinder Big john carol.jpg
    donbates pinder Big john carol.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 184
  • dell sheri.jpg
    dell sheri.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 160
few more
Harry Ingrahm from the neptunes with are president Todd Peterson
a few of the legends
Arts book

Attachments

• harryingram todd petterson.jpg
    harryingram todd petterson.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 202
  • legends.jpg
    legends.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 160
Thanks so much Joe, I have been looking forward for this sort of thread since I heard about the event.
I would of loved to have been there myself, perhaps some other folk might have some more pictures of share there experiences with us.
Did anyone video Don Paul?

Thanks so much Joe, I have been looking forward for this sort of thread since I heard about the event.
I would of loved to have been there myself, perhaps some other folk might have some more pictures of share there experiences with us.

Yes....but I'm holding out for the big bucks:friday:)

Cheers, Don

I can organise a quick whip around on db to see if we can raise a few coppers!

Sorry for the cheeky come back fox.. It was in jest for sure. I was sipping my Sunday night Martini too quickly trying to get to those wonderful Italian olives.
I was in the speakers tent most the event and took very few pictures, I believe all the speakers are documented on the footage the organizers shot throughout the day.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
My comment had extremely lighthearted intent mate LOL
I hope there will be some more vid available...

My comment had extremely lighthearted intent mate LOL
I hope there will be some more vid available...

I just never know how the true English Language is spoken there ? I just found out one meaning of '' Roger'' last week by some of your county men.rofl,

Needless to say this Yank wont be saying ''Roger That'' any more.rofl.

Cheers, Don

Hi Fox , we will post the vimeo links for all the speakers as soon as there finished .... Thanks Joe
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll try to dig up some still shots, all shamefully ripped off the web.
Did I mention the Playboy Bunny.:inlove

Cheers, Don

Attachments

• Don Paul.JPG
    Don Paul.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 162
  • sea snipers.jpg
    sea snipers.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 174
  • Sea sniper  paint.jpg
    Sea sniper paint.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Del Wren.JPG
    Del Wren.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 183
  • chick n wsb.jpg
    chick n wsb.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
A few more...last image is Chris from Sea Sniper and Josh from Neptronic with Miss Sept.

Attachments

• old guns.jpg
    old guns.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Jack Prodanovich.jpg
    Jack Prodanovich.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Don Paul Vintage Aquatic Center jacket.jpg
    Don Paul Vintage Aquatic Center jacket.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 197
  • Miss September.jpg
    Miss September.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 169
  • p1020209r.jpg
    p1020209r.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Thanks Joe. This truly was a once-in-lifetime event, and you guys did an unbelievable job putting it all together.

I had my camera in my pocket, and I regret not taking more pictures. I guess my excuse is that I had a beer in one hand, and it was so damn cold that I didn't want to take the other hand out of my jacket pocket.

And as I said before, our own Don Paul was the most effective speaker. He should be in politics. :)

Reactions: acevedo joseph
Bill McIntyre;He should be in politics. :)[/quote said:
I'll call my friend Dana R. straight away.... :t:friday.
Thanks Bill... I really mean that.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
WOW...great stuff guys. As a newbie to the sport I really appreciate this kind of thread and the event you put together.

Please put me on the list of possible sponsors for future events.

Tim

Heres a few more
with Don Paul
with Bil Mac & his beautiful wife Nancy
"Elvis" / Art Pinder
random crowd pic

Attachments

• DSC04944.jpg
    DSC04944.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC04950.JPG
    DSC04950.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC04941.JPG
    DSC04941.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 158
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT