• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The new guy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mongrel454

Newbie Stalker
Mar 14, 2008
Gday guys, Been browsing this forum for the last 2 weeks so i thought id register and say thx for all your help that u didnt even know u gave me :).

Im from Perth Western Australia and only been shore diving so far.

I recently started spearfishing bout 2 months ago and i am getting hooked BIGTIME, Me and a couple mates go every week atleast once and its great.

I am still learning and i will still be learning for some time i think.

I dont have all the gear yet but i just purchased a second hand Cressi SL100 gun which should do the job(hopefully)

Mongrel

welcome to db mongrel, there are a good few here from down under.

Hey mongy! welcome to the forum. I have a few friends out in Perth, it would seem a popular place for Guernsey men to emigrate too.

Welcome Mongrel. I was a late starter too.
... I have a few friends out in Perth, it would seem a popular place for Guernsey men to emigrate too.
I know a lot of folks checking out NZ recently...Lord of the Rings advertising or researching escape routes perhaps?:D I reckon Perth must be ok. Some friends had moved from UK to Ireland, then Perth, the USA and are now back in Perth!

Thx guys...

Yeah Perth is ok but if u want real fish u need to travel some or have a boat i think.

The biggest fish we see in local waters are BUFF BREAM, DUSKY MORWONG and DRUMMERS, all around 1-7kg. We have come across a few othes like a Western Blue Groper but didnt get a chance to hace a go.

Weve got a trip planned to Ningaloo reef later in the year which i am looking forward too.

hey! I'm new too. I'm a teen in southern Nevada. I have been doing research about spearfishing for about 5 months. I am totally lost. I have job, but I am low on funds. What do you recommend for a beginner that will use equipment in Southern Cal. for several times a year.

hey! I'm new too. I'm a teen in southern Nevada. I have been doing research about spearfishing for about 5 months. I am totally lost. I have job, but I am low on funds. What do you recommend for a beginner that will use equipment in Southern Cal. for several times a year.
If you have specific questions & create new threads you'll probably get more responses. If you provide more info, you'll probably get more detailed responses. If you've been doing research for 5 months, surely you have a pretty good idea of what you need? If not, you could look through some existing threads and article, particularly the beginner ones by Miles that would tell you the basics. You might try reading articles by some of the Californian spearos (e.g. Bill McIntyre). Also websites like Sumora & Norcal. Also, take time to read Terry Maas's article on Shallow Water Blackout (google it).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT