• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

the Ocean Men movie.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dan

Apr 28, 2003
Is the movie Ocean Men going to come out on DVD, or VHS. I was on the website, and some of the screen shots looked absolutly awsom! I tried to look for at Amazon, but no luck. Has any one seen it at a movie theater in the states.

Dan. :confused:

Dan,
Can you post the URL for that site?

Thanks,
Adrian

I was able to watch the IMAX version while at DEMA in Las Vegas last year - MY jaw dropped to the floor on the opening scenes.

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to meet Bob Talbot - the movies Director and cinematographer while there.

You can check out our little mini portal here on Deeperblue at http://www.deeperblue.net/oceanmen/

I myself have been patiently waiting as well for it to be released on DVD - I have even inquired with both the production company and Bob himself to see if I could get my hands on one.

I LOVE Ocean Men! Seen it last week at an IMAX cinema and I`m still daydreaming of it. In fact, THAT flick was the reason to get me started on freediving, so I try to get it on dvd as well. I`m working in a cinema where we sell dvd`s also, I`ll check if it`s available or when it will be. Can`t guarantee anything because I don`t get info on EVERY movie out on the market but promise to tell you when I get info...

Greets Joe :D

ocean men

You can see a video clip at oceanmen.com , it's the intro to the movie; I think I watched it like five times. I cant wait to see the whole thing.:D

Dan

DVD

I have it on DVD... Someone took a digital camera into the IMAX theater and made a copy and put it on DVD... Very nice, but I think it's illegal :naughty

Re: DVD

Originally posted by Paz
I have it on DVD... Someone took a digital camera into the IMAX theater and made a copy and put it on DVD... Very nice, but I think it's illegal :naughty
Very much illegal and not something i'd suggest posting on too many public forums :D

I saw it a couple times when it was in Tampa and have to agree that it is awesome. I've inquired as to the release for public sale and the word I got is that there are issues with the production company. It may have even been a bankruptcy thing. It was a while ago and I don't remember the details, but it didn't sound optimistic. I'll send another e-mail and see what I can find. You can also check out www.bigmoviezone to see where it is playing and other details.

-Mike

I tried to find somthin out about the dvd-release of the movie, but nothing...

Sorry guys

Just heard back from somebody with Imax and the word is that there are still issues of some sort and the producer has not yet moved forward with the DVD/VHS. There is no date on the calendar either, so who knows if it will ever happen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those of you hoping to get your hands on a copy of the flick.

-Mike

Hey all I am doing some research on ocean matters and successfully got a copy of this DVD from the Amazon Japan site www.amazon.co.jp. Cost about 6100 yen - or $55USD Just got to the site and click on English and go from there. We were a bit anxious that it might be a dud but alas no, the DVD is in english and bloody good. It was the only place I could find it and I searched high and low.

Thanks!
Just ordered one so there are still 3 left i guess......:martial

Yaffle

I am still puzzled..

Is this Japanese DVD the documentary, or the real IMAX version?

The documentay is also available in Germany (amazon.de).

Well, they are different, for starters the Japan version is 17 minutes longer then the German version

Japan:

Product Details

* Actors: ピピン・フェラレース, ウンベルト・ペリッツァーリ
* Directors: ボブ・タルボット
* Format: Color, Dolby, Widescreen
* Region: Region 2 (This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
* Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
* Number of discs: 1
* Studio:: ジェネオン エンタテインメント
* DVD Release Date: 2004/07/23
* Run Time: 77 minutes
* Average Customer Review: based on 3 reviews. (Write a review.)
* ASIN: B0002B5A70

Germany

# FSK: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren
# Studio: Miromar Entertainment AG
# DVD-Erscheinungstermin: 10. November 2006
# Spieldauer: 60 Minuten
# Durchschnittliche Kundenbewertung: basierend auf 2 Rezensionen. (Schreiben Sie eine Rezension!)
# DVD Features:
# ASIN: B000KHXDUM

Yaffle

Thank Yaffle,

But do you know more? Or in other words, is it worth to get the DVD send over from Japan or should I go for the German one?

In general do you know the difference between the documentary and the IMAX version?

I don't know, I've seen the arte documentary, which i think was also a cut up version, but never the movie. We'll just have to wait until it gets here and i'll let you know.....Maybe even in dutch! :t

Yaffle

The IMAX version is 40 minutes long. There is another cut at 32 minutes long.

The TV Documentary (which has only a few bits from the IMAX version) is 60 minutes long. Not sure what is shown on the Japanese version but I do know there is one you can order in Japan that contains the IMAX version with some other diving programmes on it as well.

The rights to OceanMen have been bought by another company now so we should start seeing more promotion of the film and it start appearing on TV and maybe DVD.

I just ordered the Ocean Men dvd from the Japanese Amazon.com. I also ordered a movie about Jacques Mayol that is not available in the States. Unfortunately, they were described as being a different "region code" than our U.S. dvd player. I did some research, found a company that sells dvd players that accept ALL region-coded dvds, and bought one for less than $120 US. I must be an addict to all-things-freediving to have purchased a dvd player simply to watch freediving movies! I try to justify it by telling myself there will be other things I want to watch from other countries...
Anyway, if anyone is interested, the website that sells high definition, region-free dvd players is Code Free DVD Player Region Free All Zone, All code Recorder PAL/NTSC Multi Region Code Free Player. I'll let you know how it works out...if anyone is interested?!
--Billie

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT