• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

the one that will haunt me forever!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
on friday me, ihab and a couple of friends went for a day long session..the started out as a rough so instead f heading south to our destination we went to a small bay close to the marina, where the sea is usually calmer, we decided to stay there until the sea has calmed down a bit, also the reefs in that bay had provided the ocaasional grouper/snapper before, nothing too big but good for an hour or two...
i had just shot a snapper (about 1.5 kilos perfect Lunch!!) and cotinued to explre the reefs, i was a bit farther then the rest and was using my omer cayman 90 aluminum gun, which is very adequate for the fish there...and all of a sudden from behind a coral this MONSTER appeared, in only 5m of water!!!, a giant trevally (AKA Jack fish, AKA ULUA) appeared in perfect broadside view...my thoughts were "my gun is too small for that!"...im talking minimum 20kg!! and my 90 has a single 18mm band loaded on the first notch of a 6.5mm spear!!!!and as yu guessed it no time to even think about taking it to the second noth..all the thoughts racing through my mind in a split second, no time to to load stronger, good that i have my gun attached to a float, i need to get close to maximize my chances, needs to be a body shot to get a better chance at penetration etc...
so I dive get close and BAAAM! i place the shot behind the head and bones , into the flesh right in the middle of its body, my first worry, did the spear go through all the way?? i look and it didnt!!!, i knew pretty much right there i was doomed and no way o land this beauty, it kept swimming slowly for a bout 10 secnds, i tried to approach to maybe push the spear in or hit it with my knofe, but its out of reach, my spear is bending as it swims..and witha powerful burst of speed my spear is out and it swims away AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! i still cant stop replaying that scene in my mind..what were the chances of seeing a fish this big in that area!!!! part of me is also glad that i did not do permanent damage to the fish and that she will probably be ok, the spear didnt open a big gash in its body nor did it bleed the fish and came out clean...this fish will become my obsession! :) another day maybe, i kept thinking if i only had one of my longer guns, or if only somebody else was with me to place a second shot or hand me another gun, i would have landed that prize.....
anyway im attaching a pic i found on the internet of the xact species of the fish and more or less he same size, i cant help but think that it could have been me in that photo!!!!another day perhaps!
i caught so pretty good fish that day, a couple of groupers and a couple of snappers, will keep me well fed all this week :)
cheers

Attachments

• Dennis%20Collins%2060lb+%20Giant%20Trevally.jpg
    Dennis%20Collins%2060lb+%20Giant%20Trevally.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 171
Oh oh, looks like you found your white whale! :)

If only dreams come true and u landed it :(

Great story mate, and remember theres plenty more fish in the sea rofl rofl

Marwan mate that is a bit tragic, fish of a life time and you were caught under gunned.
Lets hope for a second chance mate and if you get one I’ll come over to the BBQ.:):):p:):)

Reactions: Marwan
Marwan my friend--it's all part of the hunt. Think of the valuable experience you've gained, the good fish karma you've engendered, the memories of a goal worth striving for....all a load of fertalizer when the blasted beast isn't boated! :headJust remember that when...oh, oh wait THAR SHE BLOWS OFF THE STARBOARD BOW! :martial

Hiya M, thats all part of the thrill this awesome sport provides! If I would tell you how many times I've run across a similiar situation perhaps you'd fell better, but of course I won't cause then I'll feel awful (better you than me:t), just alone during lobster mini season (when one carries a snare and no gun) I've had over a half dozen huge fish (for the given area) practically hit me. Something I try to always do is pass by areas that I've seen huge fish in usually for some reason they always seem to hold them, so if its on the way to another spot I try to make a quick drop, you never know:friday....don't worry I think the end is not yet

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT