• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Spirit of Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Generally.
But why then the urge to go underwater for hunting? There's more to it. There must be more than only satisfying hunting instinct. We could do that on land were it just that.

I came from the sea, I want to return to her every night in my thoughts and dreams.... for one day we will forever be united.

Don Paul

Reactions: acevedo joseph
Hopefully not too soon!
There are still so many things you must do before. For example:
1) spear a geenormous flatty in the mysthic Guernsey waters.
2) make a gun for me.
et etc etc

For sure:friday...I'm going to start my bucket list at 90 years young while I'm
still a HMU.

Salute, Don

hi omega3, I have a important question for you..
are you scuba or freediver??

Cheers .. Joe

I think with all the spiritual, mumbo jumbo etc. aside, that you may find it is generally boys satisfying their hunting instincts!!

Sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Don Paul
Spaghetti...Why the sea you ask.... because prey is there and that is your choice and many others. No more to it. On land we can also go to ASDA as well as hunt but I am sure you know this. Even birdwatchers are generally satisfying that same instinct albeit without a kill, photographers etc. etc. and even the obvious...hunters/fishers! The clue is in the description...spearfishing, hunting etc. It is in many folks nature the need for spiritualism, mumbo jumbo and other atributes etc to try to explain/glorify come to terms with etc. something they may not understand... so what might you be looking for?(rhetorical)

Joe... I am a mammal...I choose to dive. I dive how I choose. The choices you list are not comprehensive enough!
On another note, that is an unusual way to define oneself....scubadiver/freediver.
I can't say any of the commercial spearfishers I have met share this spiritual side about their chosen line of work.

I am glad you all like/love etc. spearfishing...me too!!(no surprise there given the forum)

Later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah , that dosnt suprise me , its more like harvesting chickens then hunting

I can't say any of the commercial spearfishers I have met share this spiritual side about their chosen line of work.

I am glad you all like/love etc. spearfishing...me too!!(no surprise there given the forum)

Later!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-eWlzy5Pko]YouTube - Barren Reef[/ame]

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

I omega

You must be right,
some of us are probably not assuming the fact that they are assuming there instinct while spearfishing.
So tell me what's wrong with killing a prey if you don't waste it.
I just don't feel that i need an excuse to go spearfishing.
I don't think that peoples that find spirituality in SF are all wrong and that they find it only to justify there kills. This is not comprehensive enough.

Do you think spirituality belongs only to observers. You still see beauty even with predator eyes.
You still gather information, you put effort to undrstand your environement so you can blend into it, weather you have a gun, a camera or just your eyes.
The feeling of flying and freedom, that got us all addict of the ocean,
are the same.
And most of all spirituality is our own perception of everything.

Simon

Diving to the base of the reef at forty foot, then tucking myself into a crack or ledge I would stay stock still, holding my breath for up to three minutes as the Dentex came in from the edge of the visibility, which was over forty foot. The slightest flicker of the eye would send them thundering off in a deluge of noise. This cat and mouse game went on for two hours until finally one dived into the ledge some way in front of me. As I lay dead still, concealed by hanging weed, it swam towards me and turned broadside. Pinky red with a lot of teeth poking out at strange angles it looked huge and made an impressive sight. I then made one small mistake moving my gun a fraction to make a killing shot. It sensed I was there and with one flick of the tail was thirty foot away. Lying there hoping it might come back for another look something caught my eye. I had been lying so still that a seven-pound lobster was walking over my left hand I picked it up and returned to the shore. Despite not catching any fish I had enjoyed the dive immensely.
From my book (No Sharks Today)
I have been watching this post for some time and understand exactly where you lads are coming from, the dive I mentioned above was one of the most exhilarating I ever had despite not catching a fish. The adrenalin rush of pitting my self against such a well educated shoal is what the spirit of spearfishing is all about. It is a shame that the fishermen in the Sea of Cortez chose our method of fishing to feed their families, the main problem as in many of the Central American countries is corruption. Unless they can break that cycle no rules will work! The one thing I can say in their favor is that it is better than the dynamiting that I have seen in some parts of the world.

Hi Eric, I came across your book on my book self just before Christmas, I enjoyed re reading the book & remember that little story as a good one at the time.

As a relative newcomer to the spearing/diving world for me the joy comes from every dive being different to the one before. never ever have I had exactly the same dive twice. I love the battle between me and the fish. learning what they are going to do and how I am going to get close enough to spear them. Remembering the ones I got but also the ones I didn't. The sights and sounds. The many colours and animals. Interacting with so much of nature. To be in the ocean is truly total immersion. There are no external factors to be concerned with, you become a part of the environment like no other activity.
I love the quiet at depth the best, the pure silence of being underwater and completely still. Only hear your heartbeat, if at all.
To get quality fish, crayfish or shellfish is a complete bonus to the joy of swimming and diving.
The total immersion is for me the spirit of diving.

I often tell people; when i'm underwater it's the only time i feel at home. In regards to the hunt, I take very few shots and when I do I strive for the perfect one. There's something in that sense of perfection that i crave. The acute concentration in the moment, the stillness, the patience and the race against time- Will the fish move into the kill zone in time for me to shoot or will I run out of breath. Sometimes I win, sometimes he wins.

I could never compete, I like to take my time, stalk, it's like zen to me.

Reactions: Claudio
I know what mean. Like rock climbing or mountaineering it can be calming in that your goal becomes simple (but not necessarily easy) and all the complications of the world disappear from thought for a while, while you concentrate on the task(s) at hand. It feels more natural - perhaps more like the way an animal (e.g. seal/otter) thinks.

...your goal becomes simple and all the complications of the world disappear from thought for a while. It feels more natural - perhaps more like the way an animal thinks.

I agree. There's something incredibly poetic about it's simplicity.

I don't have a violent bone in a body nor have I ever wished to maim anything. And even though I used to join my father on his hunting trips (shotgun kind) I never felt the urge but oddly with spearfishing it's different.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…