• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

the summer season in review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
here are some pics I dont think I got around to posting of trips this summer. Didnt get to dive as much as I would have liked but summer is also work season for me. The winter bluewater season will be getting started soon so dont feel too bad. All of these fish were taken freediving.

Just another average amberjack...

Attachments

• mike%20freeman%20w-aj.jpg
    mike%20freeman%20w-aj.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
load of cobes...

Attachments

• mike%20freeman.jpg
    mike%20freeman.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 393
dive buddy Bill Crawford with a 40#+ gag grouper

Attachments

• bill%20crawford%20-%20skindiving%20-%20grouper.jpg
    bill%20crawford%20-%20skindiving%20-%20grouper.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Bills 70# cobia...

Attachments

• bill%2071%20cobia.jpg
    bill%2071%20cobia.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 370
Helldivers rodeo. Me, GR Tarr, Sasa Bratic, Anderson York.

Attachments

• helldiversrodeogang.jpg
    helldiversrodeogang.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 407
Helldiver Davis Duzait's first time freediving....(see, some of them are trying!)

Attachments

• dave%20-%20skindiving%20-%20aj.jpg
    dave%20-%20skindiving%20-%20aj.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 365
black grouper from the keys...an epic battle for the ages, but thats a whole story unto itself...

Attachments

• freeman.jpg
    freeman.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 365
Ive got more somewhere but Ill have to dig them up...

whats wrong with tarpon? it looks perfectly spearable :D

They are virtually inedible (described as eating an old sock full of bones). If you are not going to eat it, why kill it? I find no joy in just killing (using hook, gun or spear), but that is just my opinion.

this isnt going to be popular here but...
1. it was a tournament fish
2. they are so plentiful on many rigs local biologist have asked us to bring some to them for studies and research and they also want us to cull a little since they are rarely kept. That one went to the tournament where a state biologist picked it up after we called him.

some inedibles need to be culled like those jack crevalles in the pic just because of the predator prey relationship getting out of whack when nobody keeps any(but we keep all those tasty fish, which are their food) So there are more predators to less prey...at least thats what our biologist buddies are telling us.

We dont ake a habit of it but when we do they go to science and then usually to the local crabbers.

Hiya

Thats PLENTY of NICE fish in those photo's!!! I'm appalled at you guys, the least you could've done was to invite me to join in the fun!!!:D :D :D

Looks like i'll have to come visit you guys soon!!!!

Regards
miles

All those yummy fishes................:p :p ..... your place got more fish than mine. Nice collection Kapiten.

sweet...see now the "biologist" excuse is so much better than the "man crabs gotta eat too" excuse...lol.

my grandparents live in Port Arthur tx. you've making me want to schedule a "rig" trip in the near future.

Nice fish Rig!
Ive landed tarpon on a rod and reel and man were they fisty. how was it with a speargun? story please ;)

stoned that small one. Some have been taken up to 200# and thats a whole different story.

Stretch, those fish probably did end up in a crab trap eventually. The scientist dont like to waste the remains either so they have cultivated a relationship with the crabbers(which is also like having a free garbage man when they are done!:D )

The guys at LSU's marine bio department are doing alot with tarpon and I know the guys in Texas(spearos) have been asked to harvest barracuda for the state biologists...they even had a state sponsored tournament with the prize being a Riffe MT4 for the biggest cuda!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT