• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The wet and squishy apnea walk

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiverTodd

Jun 12, 2006
Ok, this is HORRIBLY embarrassing, but I HAVE to know that I'm not the ONLY one this happens to, so, here goes....

On Thurs, I did my usual set of 4 apnea walks. On the last one, I ventilated for 2 mins, then held for 1 min before getting up and starting my walk. Being that it was my last one, I really wanted to push it and go for my PB distance. Well, I did, I managed 124 yrds! HOWEVER.... I also wet myself. Still walking, I could feel it happening, and I looked down and discovered, to my HORROR, a wet spot on the front of my shorts. ACK! It's a good thing I do my apnea walks alone! How embarrassing. Now, I know there's been discussion about wetting oneself while doing dynamic IN THE WATER, but, PLEASE tell me I'm not the ONLY one that this happens to while training on dry land! Sometimes, the strong urge for my bladder to release will even hit when I'm far into a static hold, lying in bed! The odd thing is, the apnea walk only had a total breath hold time of 2:09, while I've managed to make it through a 3:30 hold in bed without an "incident". I guess the advantage to having this happen in the water is that NOBODY KNOWS.

Todd

It can happen...
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=58138"]pee question[/ame]

I have seen it before on DB, that someone says they have wet themselves during dry statics.

Fortunately I know it doesn't happen to me. I have done many dry statics to the limit, and even accidentally blacked out, and I have stayed dry. ;)

Lucia

Diver Todd, that is hard core a little piss is only a small price to pay for excellence just imagine next time you have a incontent episode you probally will be able to go 500 yards. Lots guys piss themselves call it a good time with beer I am sure this helps them pick up the hot chicks. Thankyou for shareing this I from now on will not practice this in bed for my wife will pissed with me if i ruin the mattress.

DiverTodd said:
The odd thing is, the apnea walk only had a total breath hold time of 2:09, while I've managed to make it through a 3:30 hold in bed without an "incident".
Moving around makes a big difference to apnea time. That's why someone who can do 5:00 static will almost certainly not be able to do a dynamic or apnea walk that lasts for 5:00.

The good news about freediving is that it's one of the few sports where you can wet yourself without being noticed. :eek:

naiad said:
The good news about freediving is that it's one of the few sports where you can wet yourself without being noticed. :eek:
That is true but is frowned upon, I think, in the pool; best to leave it for the sea!

DiverTodd, I like your style and your honesty, in this post and many others.

I can honestly say that I don't take advantage of that fact. rofl

Even in the sea, you still have to take the suit home afterwards!

nice one todd fair play for honesty but may be time to change the title under your messages " what smells like ? oh wait its me "
Mucho rep deserved for being straight and asking the question

I also think it's nice how honest everyone is here on DB. :)

ROBERT REYES said:
You guys are drinking wayyy too much water.
On that topic...

A few years ago in college I had an exam. For some reason I decided to drink a vast quantity of water beforehand. I have no idea why I did it, maybe for health reasons, because someone told me I would do better in the exam, or as an experiment. I would soon regret it deeply.

A few minutes into the exam, I needed to pee. No problem, I thought, I'll just ask the supervisor. I asked, and was told that if I go to the toilet, I wouldn't be allowed back in the exam room, so my paper would be unfinished. I decided to carry on with the exam. It lasted more than 2 hours.

Never have I been so close to wetting myself in public.

Lesson learnt the hard way. rofl

Lucia

I'm afraid that I would have failed the exam...

I have thought that in addition to training my lungs I might try the bladder next!

It's meant to be *dry training*.

So all those people with hard to get on wetsuits with a skin condition are blaming the shampoo they use when really they all have nappy rash!

Mate I truly appreciate your honesty, and as a freediver I understand completely.

But i'm a man as well......

BAAAHHHHH HAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! You pissed yourself!!!!! rofl rofl rofl

There, i've done it. May Karma come and boot my arse from here to eternity.

Haha, lol Benny! :D

An embarrassing situation, yes, but as many have told here before, they get a strong urge to pee during static training. So maybe you just didn't notice the urge until... it was too late.

Luckily, I haven't had that kind of urge during apnea.

Don't worry - it could be worse.
How?
Let's not go into details...but...ever wondered why they recommend doing apnea on an empty stomach? :D

Reactions: SanderP
UPDATE:

Last night, I managed a 123 yrd apnea walk....one yrd short of last week's 124 yrd walk, but, the best part....there was NO "incident"! Came close, yes, but somehow, I was able to control and manage it. I guess I must be more aware, now. :D As I side note, I think I counted 20 contractions (there may have been more) before I had to give in. Now, if only I could improve my STATIC (my best on those so far is 3:30).

Todd

Well, it actually happens to me each time I push it to limit, even on v dry static. I use it as a good sign for me. 10-20 sec after the "release" comes the samba, and 10-15 sec later comes the BO.

Reactions: DeepThought
Is this a men-only problem? I haven't heard any freediving girls admit to it. Or maybe guys are just more honest...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT