• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

This sport is dangerous

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You guys are the pioneers of this technology/application. Yes, I'm sure the MIL-spec electronics are expensive now but re-engineered for the mass market, perhaps using a single application-specific IC (asic) -or perhaps leveraging something like mobile phone or watch hardware or a microcontroller could probably be made cheaply. For example, today on Amazon in the UK, there is a digital altimeter for sale for just £11:

SODIAL(R) 8 In 1 Function Digital LCD Compass Altimeter Barometer Thermo Temperature (Black) Amazon product

I would think that altimeter already has most of the required hardware functionality (e.g. microprocessor/microcontroller/asic, clock/timer, electronic pressure sensor) it even has a thermometer and LCD display - the latter might not be required. They could for example do configuration wirelessly from a smartphone. But, obviously, with an LCD it could become your dive computer too. But I'm thinking simple, cheap and cheerful emergency device, that you just slip on, perhaps as part of a camo weight vest.

Would probably need a big shot of up front investment tho. Risky. Terry Maas has the knowledge, experience, reputation and respect to do it but perhaps he has already done more than his fair share for divers, and taken enough risks. This might be one for somebody else, in the future. I think it will happen, sooner or later, bound to :)

Last edited:
Mr. X, I think that is a very realistic outlook of many divers out there. In many places divers are few and far in-between and not having a buddy will do little stop them from a passionate sport. In my opinion diving is no less dangerous than one riding a dirt bike alone in rough terrain. Safety is a measure of someone staying within their limits and having safety equipment to match. This is essential to the sport gaining popularity and a good image. If someone were to come up with an alternative to a recovery vest that is cheaper and/or more available, what might be the most important key features be, anyone?

: inflation, colors, attached aid equipment, knife, quick release weight system, handle to help aid in recovery, signaling device, a standard to conform to...

Reactions: Mr. X
A dye marker perhaps? It is not unusual to see coast guard (?) Helicopters scanning the coast in the peak Summer months, here in GB. I think because of my float and because I am often in locations away from the beach, I sometimes get close scrutiny - nice to have somebody above looking out for you ;). Once you drift away from the shoreline, it can be very difficult for them to spot a lone person, so. a dye marker or large floating streamer might help. Esp. if the diver is unconscious or otherwise incapacitated.

I like this thread and where it is going.

The original FRV has one big failure: way too expensive!

I agree that you shouldn't save on safety, while spending big in almost every other direction, but the truth is that safety comes last when money is tight. It's just the way it is for most people.

I am a big fan of open source projects, whether it's software, or things, varying from simple blobs of 3d printable plastic to complex machines. The early 3d printers themselves were a good example. The software was open source and the hardware was designed to use scraps from other machines like discarded normal printers. In no time everyone and their mother had a diy-3d-printer at home.

I think for an FRV to find some solid use it has to be open source and home-buildable. If it costs more than a pair of plasic fins, or if they have to order it from the other side of the planet, then people won't use it. Besides cost, an open sourced design would be a lot more safe too, as all the bright minds get a free invite by default to build and tweak for a better version.

Reactions: Mr. X
Interesting. Thought there must be someway to re-useall the throw away printers from the like if HP and Canon.

Didn't Apple billionaires Jobs and the Woz start apple as a result of a Homebrew computer building group?

Mr X, I never developed anything, but you may be thinking of that Carter float. Riffe used to make something similar with two 16 cartridges. I've carried one or the other on my belt or at least 20 years. It has enough CO2 to fully inflate at some depth, and then the extra gas vents off as it ascends. Its amazing how it can rip fish out of the kelp. And when it can't, it at least holds them off the bottom so that we can see what kelp needs to be cut. And it can be orally inflated on the surface and attached to your line to make a spot where a fish is tied up. But if you tried to attache some sort of device to trigger it when a depth or time was exceeded, it would become too bulky to wear on your belt as well as very expensive. I don't think its a practical alternative.

I also use a Carter float, had it fitted with two cartridges so I can use two standard 16g cartridges instead of one 32g cartridge. The reason for this is that I need to travel by plane to spearfish and the threaded 16g cartridges are available in all cycling shops and most sports shops around the world. You can read my review on it here: https://swissspearo.blogspot.com/2017/08/review-custom-carter-dsmb-float.html

I once tried an "emergency" scenario and it helps (if you drop the weight belt of course) but I don't think you could replace the the vest.

I actually had looked into purchasing the vest but my air travel needs meant that I could not unless it had been custom fitted with multiple 16g cartridges (which he told me was not possible).

Thanks for the share Bill. From what I read these divers act like some sorts of assholes to me. That UDT diver who claims he wouldn't do 'xyz' because of principles or perhaps over confidence? Then that guy who went diving with your friend who taunts other spearfishers for not getting any fish for the day? WHat kind of behavior is that? I'm glad I've never dived with these sorts of characters and I never will associate myself with them.

I like this thread and where it is going.

The original FRV has one big failure: way too expensive!

...I am a big fan of open source projects, whether it's software, or things, varying from simple blobs of 3d printable plastic to complex machines. The early 3d printers themselves were a good example. The software was open source and the hardware was designed to use scraps from other machines like discarded normal printers. In no time everyone and their mother had a diy-3d-printer at home.

I think for an FRV to find some solid use it has to be open source and home-buildable. If it costs more than a pair of plasic fins, or if they have to order it from the other side of the planet, then people won't use it. Besides cost, an open sourced design would be a lot more safe too, as all the bright minds get a free invite by default to build and tweak for a better version.

you can slap together fireman’s deadman alarm (PASS) and co2 inflatable life jacket wih minimal engineering involved. We use both of these on our ships. I suspect original vest has been designed around same off the shelf components. Will be essentially same thing. Will not be very home buildable, and will not be cheaper than original FRV. Someone will have invent an interface between components to make it home buildable, and again, this will be not economical to fuss around. There is also a liability issue. You build it, and no one insurance company will take into consideration your device, as it will fall under “experimental” category, something like that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT