• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tinted mask good or bad?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Depends on how clear the water is and how sunny the conditions are. Probably better suited to tropical conditions.

Ive used them in the past, and to be honest i didnt notice much difference.... but that doesnt mean they dont work!

in one of ian donalds bools he says it makes it harder for your buddy to identify swb cause you cant see the eyes

Reactions: Mr. X
Hmm... About a year ago i was spearing in northern Cuba and except for my wetsuit i always double up every thing I take with me. I had 2 masks Omer and abrand new never used JBL mask with tinted glass as my back up. I inadvertently left the Omer behind my 2nd day out. I used the tinted JBL n have not gone back to the Omer......

Hmm... About a year ago i was spearing in northern Cuba and except for my wetsuit i always double up every thing I take with me. I had 2 masks Omer and abrand new never used JBL mask with tinted glass as my back up. I inadvertently left the Omer behind my 2nd day out. I used the tinted JBL n have not gone back to the Omer......

Why exactly? I know the thread is about tinted glass, but it could be a combination of things. Assuming it is only the tint that made you not go back, what did it change for you?

The Omer is an excellent mask which I have used for the past 3 -4 years very comfortable the JBL a little heavier and slightly bigger, but hunting with JBL when the sun is about to go down allows me to get closer to my prey and not spook the fish, I think its the tinting, as the Omer is not tinted, and I tend to hunt once the sun starts to go down in the afternoon. My spearing rate has doubled with the tinted JBL.

I have a Beuchat Micromax with a mirror lens and its great for when its sunny but when its dusk it does minimize how much you see

Mask

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I was using a clear clear mask and had fit issues so I bought a RA snapper with blue tint purely for the fit and have noticed absolutely no difference in any area whatsoever.

Did I read that correctly: poildeq finds his mirrored mask works well while the sun starts setting but Milan finds that it reduces visibility at dusk? So are we to infer that mirrored masks are optimal betweenthe start of sunset and dusk?! Hadn't expected that :D

Its possibly due to where we are hunting, I only spear in tropical surroundings.

Was using clear lenses, then switched 3mo ago to a Tilos black stealth mask with the tint. Where I'm located when that sun beats down on the water having them has made a big difference in kill shots. Love the tinted lens, never going back. Next week I get my Cressi Nano HD mask in. I'll let you know which one I prefer in tropical conditions.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT