• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tips on Oly 5050?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
I am planning on getting a decent underwater camera setup, and the C-5050 with the PT-015 case is looking like a pretty good choice for an amateur freediving photographer.

I'm thinking of getting a good-sized CF card with the camera (like 256 or 512 mb). Anything else I should be getting right off the bat?

nice!

How about a strobe to use for macros?

Jon, if you read this, does the Oly 5050z use TTL and are there any strobes compatible with it?

Adrian

I don't use any strobe with mine and am not planning on buying one. I know that some divers are using an HID light with their cameras. SIcne I plan on using it only gor freediving I want to keep it small.

I have freedove once with a housed Nikon F4 with two Ikelite storbes on it. I had it dowj to 65' and almost had to leave it there. :( Since it wasn't mine I kicked it bck up with everything that I had left in me, after taking a few photos of a shipwreck with it first.;) I decided after that to keep my camera set up as small as possible.

They do make digital strobes that will go with the camera adn Olympus housing. The DIgital diver forum will have more info for you about which ones are best. I have heard some horror stories form other divers that I know about didigtla strobes "smoking" underwater!:waterwork

I bought a 512mb Cf card for my camera off of Ebay, Ted has they site, and it now allows me to do 25 minutes of video, 32 exposures on the highest TIFF rating, or 5,000+ pictures at my lowest rating.

My next purchase, after I sell some doubles;) , is an Olympus wide angle lens that will screw on to the outer ring of the housing. When it comes to underwater pictures, especially in BAD vis, the wider the lens the better.

Oly and TTL

Jon, if you read this, does the Oly 5050z use TTL and are there any strobes compatible with it?

My Oly 2040 does not have TTL and I've been told that no oympus camera does TTL. I just got the Ikelight strobe for digital housings (DS50?), I have to run it as a manual strobe. Only played with it once so far, without the diffuser the lighting is harsh, but with the diffuser it looks good. I need to add a manual switch (mo money) and then I can turn it from full strength to med and to low.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT