• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Titanium Knife?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Old Man Dave

Feb 19, 2005
Following on from the current spearo knife thread, can anyone suggest where I can get one of these;

Wenoka "Squeeze" Lock Titanium Knife, Stiletto Tip.

Tried searching the net but no luck so far. Tried the usual net suppliers for the UK but no joy either. Have emailed a few UK based dive gear outlets but not hopeful. Found one USA site but postage was heavy.

Anyone help me out? Last resort any kind USA based member wanna post me one or a colaberative order from a few intersted UK members? Early Christmas presents?

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks mate I appreciate the effort. First link is a Florida store . Unfortunately my wife has vetoed my trip to collect it and so I guess we're back to transatlantic post prices again. Second link is Leisure Pro who are USA based again but is where I got a quote from $50 knife + $40 postage.

Thanks anyway and have some rep.

Dave.

Found a useful site. The USPS quote is only $10 to $12 for a small package. Seems too cheap but that's what it says. Anyone know/have experience of shipping by USPS from States to UK?

Dave.

Last edited:
Just had my new F10 delivered by USPS. Took about a week, and I got a tracking number too. Parcel tracking was very good.

How much was shipping/postage if you don't mind me asking and how did you arrange/pay for it?

Dave.

It was $30 for a 10"x10"x7" box, with a weight of 600g. I paid through PayPal with the shop for the cost and shipping, so I didn't go through USPS directly. I've still got the box at home, so I'll double check when I leave work in a min.

Hey OMD.
Just checked, and it was $32 (£19), but that was for a medium box. I suppose a dive knife would need something half that size.

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Old Man Dave
i just got one and it looks really nice i love how easy it is to remove from the sheath and how secure it is. also its sharp, compact and light.

Found a useful site. The USPS quote is only $10 to $12 for a small package. Seems too cheap but that's what it says. Anyone know/have experience of shipping by USPS from States to UK?

Dave.
Hi Dave, I've used USPS quite a lot. Works just fine. USPS is, I believe, just the parcel branch of the good ol' US Mail (postage is cheaper & better in the USA than Europe - except for the shootings). It has always been the cheapest method in my experience. Surface is cheaper than air but can take 8 weeks (on one occasion only 3 days, a week or so on another but usually several weeks). For a small package like a knife, I would think the price you mention is for Airmail. Surprised it is not less, especially for superlight titanium. Even though USPS is usually/always the cheapest method, some companies don't offer USPS because it's easier for them to have a courier collect the package than for them to take a package to a post office. Being in the Channel Isles, you probably don't need to concern yourself with the complication of VAT & import tariffs.

I had a (Scandanavian) Rapala filleting knife sent over from the USA, I don't recall the exact shipping but I think it was only around $6, 2 or 3 years ago. Possibly surface (I'm rarely in a hurry) and from a private individual. Some US stores have a minimum shipping charge which tends to rule them out on contention for small items. Don't forget, packaging costs money (unless your re-use it); some companies send everything in oversized boxes filled with padding - which is incredibly inefficient and expensive -- a knife could, for example, be sent far more cheaply in an envelope, wrapped over to make it smaller & acting as its own padding).

Last edited:
Thanks Mr X. I have done a bit of investigating and the rate does seem to be between $7 and $50 dollars for parcel post dependant on size weight and how soon you want it. Like you I'm seldom in a hurry and the knife should be nearer the $7 mark.

I've had replies from some of the UK vendors (the better ones) and it seems that Aqualung/wenoka don't import the titanium version into the UK although the stainless version is available and popular. Found one in Germany (thanks Spaghetti) but at 80E before shipping it was not cheap.

I've emailed a USA company who stock them and advertise world wide shipping via USPS. However as you said there is often a minimum shipping fee and in fairness they would have to package it and deliver it to a post office so bound to be a cost implication.

My other option is to have it shipped internally in the USA to a relative and get them to post it. My neice lives in the States.

Dave.

Dave, Sarah is going to she her brother next week you could get it shipped to him?

Had an email back from a Florida shop who will ship the knife the 5000miles using USPS for $13, that's £8 (amazing really)and the knife is $50, thats only £30. Too good a deal to miss. Just awaiting details on payment. Fingers crossed for early Christmas pressie.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X
Ordered the Wenoka squeeze titanium knife with stilletto tip from Ulisese at Scubasworld.com. That's the florida shop. Paid by Paypal and he's going to post it to me using USPS. $55 for the knife and $13 for shipping. Could take up to 8 weeks but I'm hoping nearer 2 weeks.

Dave.

7 weeks & 5 days till Christmas Dave so my prezzie should get here just in time rofl

Well it did arrive within 2 weeks. In the end it was $55 + $13 shipping. That's about £40. It included some nuts/bolts and some short straps all designed to fix it to a scuba stab jacket or an air hose. Didn't come with leg/arm straps.

The Wenoka is as near as damn it exactly the same as my Omer mini as you can see from the pic's. Look at pic 2 where the knives are one on top of the other. I fact they are so identical that the Omer knife fits in the Wenoka sheath and the Wenoka knife in the Omer sheath. Both knives clicking neatly home.

The Wenoka seems a little better made especially the sheath but then it's more or less twice the price.

My omer stainless blade was painted black but is slowly flaking with surface rust. Hopefully the titanium will stay pristine forever and stay sharper as well. If the titanium blade is lighter you'd need weighing scales to tell as both knives feel the same.

I haven't tested it yet but as long as it "does what it says on the tin" then it should be a good buy. I'm pleased anyway.

Dave.

Attachments

• CIMG3665.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 234
  • CIMG3669.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG3670.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 267
  • CIMG3671.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: Mr. X
I have that exact knife, OMD. Wenoka makes a good Titanium knife. Been using it for about 2-3 years now, and zero rust, even with major neglect.
Beats having to oil and scrape rust off my old knife, after every dive.

I have that exact knife, OMD. Wenoka makes a good Titanium knife. Been using it for about 2-3 years now, and zero rust, even with major neglect.
Beats having to oil and scrape rust off my old knife, after every dive.

That's good to hear. I have also discovered another feature which was an added bonus. I wear a button compass on the knife strap on my arm. The stainless Omer mini is magnetic and used to effect the compass where as the Wenoka titanium is totally non magnetic and doesn't effect the compass at all .

Dave.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…