• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Toe Jam

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Three days ago I went for a run on the beach, nothing spectacular, just about 20 minutes, and then a few exercises.
Then i went to a barbeque... a contractor had sneaked in a whole load of fresh South African meat and boerewors (our local sausage, up about 1m long) :p

Really enjoyed the food... had about three beers, went to bed feeling a little podged, but good.
Woke up the next morning, hell my left toe was really painful. I could hardly walk! I was hobbling for three days! It wasn't even swollen or anything, but I could hardly bend it.

I have been told that it maybe gout (!) or build up of uric acid (isn't that the same thing). Also i was told that maybe i enjoyed my holiday last week too much and ate too much rich food...

it's a lot better, just has a small twinge...

any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:
If you ate a 1m long Boeri I am not surprised that you got gout.
I couldn't manage that!

Most of the men from my father's side of the familiy (him included) has some genetic tendency for chronic gout do to too much uric acid not being cleared from the blood. Sympthoms are ulcers on the skin or some joint pain - due to uric acid crystals froming there because blood vessels are narrowing there. They apeared for all of them somewhere around the age of 40-50.
My father takes some pill for that on a daily basis with his meal/meals (not sure). PLUS (now this is the sad part!) he barely touches beef anymore because it produces more uric acid for some reason that is unkonwn to me.
He eats more chicken fish and the occasional pork instead.
I will probably be in the same condition in 15-25 years from now :waterwork.
Need to devour all the beef I can get now I guess.

Hopefully your condition is just temporary. And I'de make sure it's that gout and not some poisonous bite or whatever. Would hate losing a toe. :(

None medicinal stuff that MIGHT help you to offload that uric acid is cranberrie juice and lots of water. Those are not stuff my father use, he use real peels so don't count on that.

DeepThought said:
None medicinal stuff that MIGHT help you to offload that uric acid is cranberrie juice and lots of water. Those are not stuff my father use, he use real peels so don't count on that.

yeah cranberry juice is good... wish we could get that here. I took some Uva Ursi... which is apparently good for the urinary tract.. i thought it may help.

only four weeks left and I am outta here for good... and back onto real food and a proper diet.

Eating from a buffet dinner three times a day is a novelty for about two days.. :yack

Thanks for the advice... i never though about it being a bite. Although nothing is swollen on my toe nor has it gone black, or dropped off! lol!

Howsit Island_Sands,
I do suffer from gout in my big toe, If I dont take medication asap during a attack, the pain becomes excruciating and the affected joint/foot will swell to alarming proportions, there are various ways of treating the underlying causes of gout, some require daily medication, I decided not to go that route, and to treat a attack when it happens, Big toe gout hits me every six months, I take Colchicine to disolve the uric acid crystals, and Cataflam for the inflamation, if I catch it early then I only need to take the medication for a few days, and done with it....
sadly my Alcohol consumtion had to decrease, (to the point of giving it up completely) and various food stuffs, but I still eat a nice steak regularly :p

and no giving up alcohol wasn't that bad, I quite enjoy waking up without a hangover now.

Have a great stay in SA,

Last edited:
eyeisfish said:
Howsit Island_Sands,
I do suffer from gout in my big toe, If I dont take medication asap during a attack, the pain becomes excruciating and the affected joint/foot will swell to alarming proportions, there are various ways of treating the underlying causes of gout, some require daily medication, I decided not to go that route, and to treat a attack when it happens, Big toe gout hits me every six months, I take Colchicine to disolve the uric acid crystals, and Cataflam for the inflamation, if I catch it early then I only need to take the medication for a few days, and done with it....
sadly my Alcohol consumtion had to decrease, (to the point of giving it up completely) and various food stuffs, but I still eat a nice steak regularly :p

and no giving up alcohol wasn't that bad, I quite enjoy waking up without a hangover now.

Have a great stay in SA,

hi there
shees that doesn't sound good..
funny thing is i don't drink a lot.. maybe on average 4 beers a week.. i love my red wine but we dont' get decent stuff here on the island so i rarely drink it.;

did they tell you to give up citrus fruits?

well no doubt Mum will be giving me all kinds of advice and putting me on diet :( very soon...

Did you go running barefoot? If so, it could be simply that you hyperextended the toe a tad. That would explain the lack of swelling and the fact that it didn't turn colors..... From what I know of gout, swelleing is involved and it is aggravated by eating red meat and .... sorry to say ... beer. For some reason, beer is worse than other alcohols when it comes to gout... probably has to do with the fat content in a bottle..... I have to say that I was having pain in my foot before we were there on holiday and I stopped drinking beer. Since then, the pain has gone away for the most part (99%)

Howsit Island_sands,

Fruit is OK, as much as you want, Go HERE for a good site about gout.

I sincerely hope you don't have this crappie ailment, but its not all doom and gloom, as long as you have the medication handy, and unfortunately there is no other way to get rid of the crystals and Inflammation.
Alocohol irrespective of the "type" it is, can induce a gout attack, not just beer or whatever, its the alochol.
Excessive uric acid is caused by your kidneys either, Under excreting uric acid, or, Overproducing uric acid. but read the article, it will answer all your questions.

have fun

Later

Last edited:
When you have Toe Jam...

The best remedy is 2 slices of bread and some peanut butter! rofl rofl rofl

Of course, a little ice might not hurt either..... ;) or a foot massage.....

After all, can't be serious ALL the time...

B

Re: When you have Toe Jam...

bdurrett said:
The best remedy is 2 slices of bread and some peanut butter! rofl rofl rofl

Of course, a little ice might not hurt either..... ;) or a foot massage.....

After all, can't be serious ALL the time...

B

hey hey!!! had a foot massage last night.. .although with care because i have stubbed my other big toe on a large piece of coral, deskinned the end of it and chipped some of the nail off...

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

only 19 days to go... back to wearing shoes again and avoiding all these unnecessary injuries...

btw i wasn't running barefoot, but was running on the sand.. perhaps i pulled a toe muscle.

i think a while back Amphibious or shaneshac posted images about naked women with flowing hair running on the sand.. unfortunately i couldn't provide the same imagery.
:D

Re: When you have Toe Jam...

island_sands said:
hey hey!!! had a foot massage last night.. .although with care because i have stubbed my other big toe on a large piece of coral, deskinned the end of it and chipped some of the nail off...

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

You can say that again, Just reading it made me wince

island_sands said:
only 19 days to go... back to wearing shoes again and avoiding all these unnecessary injuries...

btw i wasn't running barefoot, but was running on the sand.. perhaps i pulled a toe muscle.

IO put shoes on finally when we got near to the airport. The first thing that happened was that I got blisters :hmm

island_sands said:
i think a while back Amphibious or shaneshac posted images about naked women with flowing hair running on the sand.. unfortunately i couldn't provide the same imagery.

Imagery or "Imaginery" ;) We only know that you were, in fact, wearing some sort of footwear since you said that you were NOT barefoot... Other than that..... rofl

<blushing yet?> rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

rofl last week we went to Dubai for a few days and i wore high heel boots for the first time in a year... it was like being six years old again trying on my mother's shoes :D

<<<blushing yet?> rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl>>

HAR HAR HAR... don't joke.. the other morning i got dressed for work, put the key in the door, all ready to leave, bag, computer shoes, and realised that i hadn't put a top on! :girlie

No top? And what was the problem? You might've gotten a raise.

Or at least you would've given your coworker fellers a "raise".

Ok. I'll shut up now.

Time to gout of here.

sinkweight said:
No top? And what was the problem? You might've gotten a raise.

Or at least you would've given your coworker fellers a "raise".

Knowing the conditions where she is working right now, I would think that the running would have been put to good use as in ....running for her life.... Of course, there are not too many places on a sand-speck in the middle of the Indian Ocean to run to..... not to mention a 600-1 ratio of male construction workers to women :mute

sinkweight said:
Time to gout of here.

:hmm 20 lashes with a wet noodle!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT