• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tomba - All in One barrel sealing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I used slightly different knot than on the picture above:

and a constrictor knot:

Last edited:
Tomba - new names:

"S" type Tomba like Tomba650S is actually only one, for 6.5 mm shaft. It is not convenient to make it for larger diameter of the shaft. It would be too bulky-heavy (with the same cone angle-4 deg). It would be possible to make it but each diameter of the shaft would require different cone angle for the slider to maintain about the same length which should be pushed in adapter, and same OD of the slider, which is about 12 mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Stop ring on the picture is not very thin. It is 11 mm OD and 4 mm long.

Here the O-ring might be pushed in sealing position with the slider. O-ring is 16 x 8 x 4 mm for 7 mm shaft, so it should be squeezed to seal the 7 mm shaft.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4XrDJp1gv4]Tomba700 - YouTube[/ame]

:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRNP526xpxM]Plastic slider & how to tie knot - YouTube[/ame]

This might be a better solution than a knot:

[ame=http://youtu.be/HiOzEELTWp4]Simple Splicing in Spectwelve Dyneema Core with Push Fids - YouTube[/ame]

It is not a good idea to tie mono line to the Tomba700 slider using a knot. That would not be reliable or would be too tight on the neck of the slider so the slider would not slide smoothly. Maybe you might use a crimping tool with mono? My idea was to use a piece of deenyma (spectra) 1-1,5 mm and a mono after it.

I wondered which is currently the best vacuum kit for a shaft with a slider. I believed, based on my measurement, that it might be Tomba and I was right. An Italian guy (kalama at www.pescasubacquea.net - pesca subacquea: foto, video, prede, tecniche, apnea, attrezzature, sicurezza) did some tests with the kits he had on his guns, from Mamba, STC, LGS and found Tomba to be the best in shooting performance. This was one of his last comments on a forum:

"... ps attualmente la palma di miglio kit sottovuoto testato da me tra mamba, stc, lgs, va al Tomba"

I already told that Tomba700 was even better in performance that TombaF700 (free shaft Tomba). Not a significant difference, but was better. TombaF700 is more reliable than Tomba700, (it is more simple), and maybe easier to use.
My opinion is that the best and the most reliable free shaft vacuum systems (between STC, Evo-Air, TomabaF, Tovarich) are TombaF and Tovarich. TombaF is easier to maintain, to change O-ring in muzzle despite O-ring is deeper in muzzle.

There are a lot of possibilities. Which one to choose? Which is the best? :)

I am not quite sure that this last transformation would work as supposed to.
How soon would the O-ring be pushed in sealing position? It should be pushed deeper by friction to the shaft and vacuum. Maybe some water might enter the barrel before good sealing happen. Also the shape is not very hydrodynamic. There are tiny steps on the back end.

This is similar to drawing before, but is more simple (one part less) and uses 10 x 6 x 2 mm O-ring instead of 11 x 6 x 2,5 mm. Metal ring would be made in titanium, 10 mm OD.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT