• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tomba - All in One barrel sealing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well you are the man who knows my friend :king but all my free shaft spears are actually standard band gun spears that I have just cut down & shaped the piston end on a wet stone grinder.
To be honest I did not know I could use a spear with the screw on cone in place?

Thankyou both for your advice.
I have good quality stainless 8mm shafts from Cressi at the moment. I will measure the Butt / Cone to check the diameter. I am confused because if cressi Butt/ cone are 8mm standard then I don't see how it will fit into the new dry barrel for say a 7mm shaft.
I did see a dvd of fishing in Galicia and the guy was using a cressi sl 70 with what appeared to be a standard tahitian [with no butt/cone] and line tied at the front of the spear near the flopper.
6.5MM sounds good. Would be great if they simply fitted into the new kit.
Oh I have so much to learn. But it is great fun!
Thanks
North1

Yes mate that is what I call a free shaft kit, with the line attached to the front of the spear.
I prefer this method as it it quicker & more simple to use but that is just my preference & not necessarily any better than using the slider method.
Whatever method you choose there will be a huge performance increase.

Well you are the man who knows my friend :king but all my free shaft spears are actually standard band gun spears that I have just cut down & shaped the piston end on a wet stone grinder.
To be honest I did not know I could use a spear with the screw on cone in place?

Foxfish, I just took a photo of my new 8 mm free shaft, tail end, for Cyrano 1100.
The butt is from Mares Sten 13 (8 mm shaft).

It is important - better, to have a good match to the piston. :friday

Last edited:
I can see how you have done that but one thing I dont like is a tight fit into the piston head, the O ring holds the spear in place.

I can see how you have done that but one thing I dont like is a tight fit into the piston head, the O ring holds the spear in place.

A tight fit is just what is required. It prevents both the piston and the shaft to be out of axial alignment.

The Cressi tail is a slimmer conical end compared to the Mares shaft tail, that is why it can fall out of a Mares piston. I have both types of guns and that is how I can tell which shaft is which just by looking at them.

Foxfish, Do you have any problems with the standard shaft dropping out of the barrel?
Sometimes my cressi sl shaft drops out and that is with a genuine cressi shaft!
I would have thought that a free shaft would be held in place due to the tension of the line and bungee set up.

The dry barrel kits work by sealing the spear into the barrel with an O ring. (or several O rings depending on the kits design)
I rely on that seal to hold my spear in place however the standard spears are designed to jam into the piston head when the spear is forced down the barrel.
There are two main designs of dry barrel seals one uses a sliding ring that fits into the kits muzzle end the other is more simple in design & only seals the spear.
I have two Tomba kits & several Mamba kits but I much prefer the Tomba free shaft kit in my 90 with a 6.5 spear & my 110 with a 7mm spear.

I would like to try using climax with Tomba. This is how it might look like. This were some old Tomba10 parts I put together for taking a picture, with a new, tiny titanium slider. Similar way the slider could be used with Tomba700.

Weight is 0.7 g and diameter 9.6 mm.

Last edited:
Tomba lineslide with Climax. Knot is a constrictor with two additional wraps.

If you want to use Devoto slider with Tomba, I suggest this way. But have on mind that according to my measurement Tomba slider is almost 50 % better in performance (energy of the shaft) than Devoto. With Tomba650 you might use Devoto slider as it is, without Tomba part. This is possible because the OD of Devoto slider is 10,5 mm and Tomba 10,7 mm - diameters are similar. But Tomba700 has OD of the slider 11,5 mm (Devoto 10,5 mm) so Devoto alone would not be good idea.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIiF6sQZEA]Tomba Devoto Mares - slider - YouTube[/ame]

Tomba700, Super Sten 105, 5 m:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OMXoNbR3E0&feature=player_embedded]Kit tomba 700 ... un tiro molto distante ma preciso - YouTube[/ame]

What to do in case of some problems?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPjf-Ieaec&feature=g-crec-u]Airbalete and Tomba kit - YouTube[/ame]

;)

This is the latest impression (Google translate) of a very unhappy Airbalete 90 camo 3d user. He was so desperate that he wanted to sell his new gun. Looking at the Omers video test in a pool he thought that the gun would be outstanding on only 15 bar at 4 m! I had some conversation with him on forum and advised him how to use the gun, and what could he expect if using it right way. He also wanted to try Tomba675 (6,75 mm shaft).

"Hi! Today I was in the sea and to tell impressions. In short, Tomb-bomb, I was stunned when I saw an arrow fly ie you can not even see it, the rifle is not recognized. The range is impressive. I have not practiced on the static target, but the mullet from 4.5 to 5 meters when fired vain drags all 6m rig + ca 10 cm from mulinela, I was stunned. Even with your Tomba made ​​a few modifications I removed the fat and put the oil, so much better now piston sliding, all in all very pleased.
Thank you Regards"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT