• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tooth pain when ascending

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matn spector

Oct 14, 2015
Hey all need your help please :)
In the last week after some dives i began feeling strong pain in my upper back teeth. First at the right side then at both sides.
The pain begin only while ascending not when descending or at the bottom.
Haven't been at the dentist for a while now.
By these symptoms would you say it could be a tooth squeeze? Or is it nore likely to be another variation of pressure in the sinus?
Thank you!

My guess would be that it is more likely to be sinus. If it were tooth squeeze, I would have thought it would be more localised and not spread that quickly to both sides of the jaw.
Would be interesting to know if you did something different to your diet, and or went diving with some sort of congestion.

I did not change my diet at all actually..
After talking to a few diving instructors i got to the conclusion it is probably sinus as you say.
If it would have been tooth squeeze they say i should have felt it every dive while descending each time.
Maybe something with my diet do not fit for me because i tend to have sinus problem often.. every time a bit different place.
Thank you for your thoughts and opinion!

I'd agree, sinus issue. I've only had a sinus squeeze once, a doozy, and it was on ascent. Tooth squeeze feels different, mine have all been on descent.

Ways to prevent it revolve around preventing inflamation and mucus production in the sinuses. Things like: avoid milk products for several days ahead of the dive, avoid anything else you might be allergic to, use a neti pot (surprisingly effective), take some meds, sudafed to shrink the tissue, antihistamines to reduce inflamation, maybe something else to attach mucus production.

Reactions: matn spector
[QUOTE="cdavis,

Ways to prevent it revolve around preventing inflamation and mucus production in the sinuses. Things like: avoid milk products for several days ahead of the dive, avoid anything else you might be allergic to, use a neti pot (surprisingly effective), take some meds, sudafed to shrink the tissue, antihistamines to reduce inflamation, maybe something else to attach mucus production.[/QUOTE]

I am using the netipot every morning and ur is very helpful!
Ill have a week dairy free and see if it changes anything. Thnx

Same thing happened to me last month at Adam Stern's Deep Week in Amed. Passing through 25m with no warning, I got a sharp pain in the left maxillary sinus under the cheekbone. It felt like someone stuck a pin or needle in the skin of my cheek. I turned instantly and surfaced. A dull pain remained. I ha a full feeling in my sinus and hawked up and spat out bright cherry red blood and snot. Doh, that's me done for the day. Interestingly as I made the 200m swim back to shore, the pain returned and seemed to move into one o fly teeth. Damn, I thought, is this a tooth squeeze somehow? But that passed and of course you don't split up blood from a tooth squeeze ;-)

20 years of Rec scuba, tech and cave diving and never once had a sinus squeeze, so it was a new (and frustrating) experience for me.

Agree toothache can be very terrible. I faced with same problem on last week. It was too hard to get rid of toothache during work time. So next day I decided to visit local dentist because the pain was so so terrible. The doctor examined and said that the diseased tooth should be removed. The process was fast and not so painful. When you lose teeth, different occurrences could happen in your mouth, including your teeth shifting on their own. This could cause some discomfort and completely change your smile as you know it. Saving your teeth is one of the best benefits of regular dental visits because it prevents something that is irreversible.

To get a proper diagnosis, I would recommend consulting with a dentist or a medical professional who can evaluate your symptoms and provide you with the appropriate treatment. It's important to address dental issues promptly, as they can worsen over time and cause further complications if left untreated.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT