• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

tooth sinus problem when spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

leo_g86

Apr 30, 2010
hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with teeth or sinus pain when spearfishing/freediving!? I have no pain whatsoever in the face or tooth area when not diving.

Every time i dive i get excrutiating pain in what feels like a tooth. it feels like it is pushing out of the gum into my mouth!

I have been to the dentist and an xray was taken but she could see no infection or decay at all but she has put me on amoxicillin (antibiotic) to get rid of any infection. im really hoping it works as i love this sport and im missing out on it as i cant dive at all.

If anyone has any info or experience in what this could be that would be great to know as i really dont think its an infection.

thanks,
Leo

Very likely you have an air pocket inside of or adjacent to the tooth. No air pocket and the tooth doesn't know what the water pressure is. I had a pocket under a filling once and it acted just as you describe. Could be in an adjacent sinus, pretty hard to tell.
Any history of sinus problems? fillings in that tooth?

Connor

I had an ifected tooth once-it grew a polyp on the end of the root about the size of a blueberry that was pushing in on my sinus- ended up having it pulled

Thanks for your replies.

Yes the problem started after my dentist put a filling in the tooth. Do you think she may have put the filling in with an air gap behind it?

This is the situation:

10 months ago dentist puts filling in tooth. 6 months later i get pains in the tooth area above tooth and in tooth (as described in last post) so i return to the dentist and she says i have a hole in the filling. she takes out the filling and puts in a new one. 4 months later (present day) I get the pains in the tooth/tooth area again. i go to the dentist and she prescribes me antibiotics for an infection she cant see.

Do you think its possible she could have trapped air in the tooth on two occasions? or do you think it may just be trapped air in the sinus?

If this is the case which i think it may be as it makes sense how did you end up getting rid of the air or pain?

thanks again, think im getting withdrawal symptoms from lack of spearing!!

Mine went away after dealing with the filling. Yours? Having it twice makes one wonder if something more complicated is going on, especially given the delay factor. an infection could conceivably create a tiny gas pocket, won't take much. You might want to run the antibiotic out and see if that worked.

Connor

Is the tooth sensitive to anything but diving?, Heat, cold, quick movement?

thanks for reply,

yeah im hoping antibiotics will work, and no there is no pain at all apart from when diving. Ive been reading up on it a bit more and i think it may be something called "barodontalgia" or "tooth squeeze"

Tooth Squeeze [Archive] - ScubaBoard

this article where the guy describes someone stabbing a knife between the tooth and gum and trying to rip the tooth out is spot on.

if the biotics dont work im gonna have the tooth pulled i think need to get back in the water!! :)

Yes, it’s mainly because of sensitivity which can be caused by salinity of sea water. My friend had similar problem and took treatment from a renowned dentist Redondo Beach. Got it restored in just few sittings.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT