• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Top 10 SHOTS Βest Moments Compilation 2023

Hey D I didn't know you were a member here too! I still remember the rookie of the year Deep DVD when I was first starting! (This is also how I found your channel some years later when I lost the disk) Good to see you're active.

A semi-related question: In recent years you've gone from a monoroller (and double roller) to mainly using a polyspast (vela). Have you tried any double action rollers (HEPA system), or Fusion 2, to compare?

Hello man,
No i havent used any of these systems but i can tell you that i prefer my double roller compared to the invert roller system.
It really lucks in power compared to the double roller but i have given it to a friend for a while because its not easy for me to transport it on the yacht i work on because its quite longer-heavier.

Reactions: rollerGR
Haha spot on, I remember an older video of yours where you did show it to the camera and it was a bit chunky.

I too have found inverts to be not that powerful, unless with lighter shaft setups. Something similar to how Kollias used to work a 3x14,5mm 6,75mm shaft Bleu Raptor. HEPA is generally powerful with one less load sequence, comparable to a 3-loads invert. Fusion 2 not so much but it's simpler and easier, and I haven't really found anyone using it so I was curious. (I myself currently use a light double Fusion 1).

From my experience guns using demultiplied systems (be it polyspast/invert or FkD) need quite a lot of bands to be powerful. 1x19 + 3x17,5 is a go-to for 7-7,25 shafts but at the same time it takes more time to load and is chunky. It has advantages but at big disadvantages. FkD3 tends to be better with 200%+ preload and a small band on top, which sometimes doesn't even require dyneema in it (so it's just FD3). With 3 heavy bands in tends to perform as good as a 4-band invert roller.

A significant difference I've personally noticed is the band(s) on top as you take aim. Invert (or FkD) tends to be a bit more comfortable. Have you noticed a difference?

Kollias used to work a 3x14,5mm 6,75mm shaft Bleu Raptor.
Correction, 3x16mm with a 150cm 7mm shaft (so roughly similar to a 6,75 160 one). He details the setup for his Raptor 115 in Deep mag #85 (I had in mind a different setup from Deep mag #92, 100cm gun with 2x17,5mm 6,75mm shaft).

So a quite "loaded" setup for a 7mm shaft to reach a ~5m effective range. A 3-band 115cm invert roller for example is often set up with an 8mm shaft which makes it underperforming! Most polyspasts, and even regular rollers are very often underpowered. A 2x14mm double roller with an 8mm shaft won't work as well as with a 7mm one for example... or even 6,75mm. A good single roller setup is one you used to have, 95cm 1x17,5mm with a 6,5mm shaft if memory serves right. A setup with 1x16mm wouldn't be pushing it where it could reach like a 17,5mm - and it's not even a large heavy shaft!

I always felt most speargun setups are too slow for no good reason.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…