• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Top guys!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Okay,
we all watch them in movies, and some of us have the opportunity to meet them. What makes them top ranking hunters? Whats so special with Pedro Carbonell, Alberto March, Stefano Bellani and the many of them which I forget to write..

Okay Lets list the facts that make them so special.
-Deep hunting ability
-Physical superiority
-equipment
-talent

So lets hear your opinions :D

Memo,

I think it takes a combination of superior diving ability plus exceptional hunting skills to be a truly great spearfisherman. I've seen guys who were great divers but were never able to become 'killers' and I've seen talented hunters who didn't have the diving ability to do well in tournaments where diving depths of 100’+ was a requirement to get good fish. You can have guys who are good locally but the best always seem to do well no matter where they go or what the conditions are. We have a couple of these types of divers in the USA. Gerald Lim is a prime example of this, he can go anywhere and do well. He's just as much of a threat in RI or CA in shitty vis and shallow water as he is in the deep clear water of FL or HI. I believe, to a certain extent, that skills to be a Carbonell, March, John Ernst, or Gerald Lim can not be learned. I believe divers like these have special natural abilities that when coupled with their dedication and learned skills allow them to stand out above the crowd on a regular basis no matter where they go.

Scott

Carbonell learnt his skills from his father and later his uncle Pep Amengual who was also a world spearing champ a number of times.

The whole Amengual/Carbonell family are awesome spearos.

Shane,

I believe Pedro and his uncle are tied at 3 apiece for the most individual World Championships ever won in the history of the sport. Quite an amazing family!

Scott

Sturgeon, Apparently Pedro's dad was even better than them both(admitted by both Pep and Pedro)

Never competed though which is a shame. Pedro younger brother (who was always there boatman) has been Pep's partner for a bnumber of years and is now doing really well in spanish comps.

I c. So antoher question to all,
Who is your hero?

You gotta hand it to Carbonell for being the best but March’s deep diving really impresses me. I met them in Brazil and both are super nice guys. Strange thing though, they do not socialize amongst themselves. They won’t even sit at the same table to eat breakfast together (at least not that I saw the 2 weeks I stayed in the same B&B as them). I guess I would say March is my hero although I have all the respect in the world for Carbonell (not to mention the Spanish National Team shirt he wore when he won last year’s Worlds).

Scott

Shane,

It's a white t-shirt with a small design on the left front were the pocket would be that says 'FEDAS' (see attached). On the back just below the neckline it says www.FEDAS.es. I've been to the website but I can't read Spanish. My wife had a hard time trying to get all the blood and other stains out of it but it looks pretty good now. Also, I guess Pedro likes to rip the tags out of his shirts so I had to have the back neckline re-sewn where it tore a little from him ripping the tag out. The way I got the shirt was that when he won, I presented him with a Team USA shirt and shook his hand and congratulated him. The next day he saw me in the hallway at the B&B we were staying at and handed me his team shirt that he’d worn in the tournament. I couldn't believe it, even though the big thing at the Worlds is to trade shirts among competitors, I had given him my shirt strictly as a gift and had expected nothing in return so I was totally in shock when he did that.

Scott

Scott,

Nice memento of the competition eh :D.

How many times have you competed as part of Team USA?

Are you sponsored?

How did you do in the comp?

Thanks

Shane

Shane,

I've only qualified for the team once (Brazil) and I was only the alternate. Each Team is allowed to register 5 guys (3 divers, 1 alternate, and a Captain). The way we do it in the USA is that you qualify for the Worlds based on your previous combined 2 National Championship scores. So, even though I was National Champion the year preceding Brazil, my previous 2 years of scores only ranked me as 4th in the USA (hence only the alternate position). But it was still a very cool experience. I spent 2 weeks scouting with the Team over there and I was a designated boat helper for one of my teammates for both days of the tournament (each boat was appointed 1 driver and allowed 1 helper). I had a great time and it was a great learning experience but if I get lucky enough to go again, it will be to compete.

I almost forgot, OMER has sponsored me and a teammate of mine from the Nationals who also made the Brazil Team for the last 3 years or so. But this past year I opted to decline their offer. My teammate stayed with them.

Scott

Last edited:
What equipment do you currently use?

Suit, gun etc.

Was Team Omer (March, Bardi Etc) separate to you guys?

Would you consider testing out a Totemsub?

i know it is an old thread :duh
but ....
after i was watching a movie of pedro carbonell and ivan garcia
i must say tht pedro is a top gun !!!
but the one leg hunter Ivan Garcia is the MAN

sturgeon said:
Shane,

I believe Pedro and his uncle are tied at 3 apiece for the most individual World Championships ever won in the history of the sport. Quite an amazing family!

Scott

Don't forget Italy's Renzo Mazzarri, who also won 3 times the individual world championship. (he also defeated Amengual in Spain to win his second world title). Mazzarri is now a man in his 50's and he retired from competitions. But two years ago in greece he took part to the Spearfishing champions' league an won (watch the old man!).
Answering the question, for me it's a mix of natural talent and experience: diving deep is less important than hunting skill.
Equipment is secondary issue. Last autumn in Chile our Stefano Bellani won the world championship using a cressi comanche 60, a very short gun that you can purchase for just 70 Us dollars or less...

Shows you the size of fish they are shooting to be the world champ :(

Bellani is good, but he really impresses me with his huge AJ and tuna hunts not his world championships.

Same in here.... Unfortunately, "the total weight" approach in the competitions is putting me back big big time! Throphie hunting is the section that i am interested...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT