• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Torch for freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alex Phang

Nov 1, 2019
Hi all,

I've watched Alexy Molchanov video where he attempted new world record with monofin. I saw he mounted a torch on his wetsuit hood. Anyone did similar like what he did? Can anyone share how to mount it over wetsuit hood? I kinda need it as our deepest trench is always dark and being able to see line will make me feel more secure.

Thanks in advance guys.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi all,

I've watched Alexy Molchanov video where he attempted new world record with monofin. I saw he mounted a torch on his wetsuit hood. Anyone did similar like what he did? Can anyone share how to mount it over wetsuit hood? I kinda need it as our deepest trench is always dark and being able to see line will make me feel more secure.

Thanks in advance guys.

I know you're asking about mounting a torch to the hood, but this may be another way to solve your problem. Mako has two dive lights that attach to your mask. Take a look.

Haven't seen the vdeo.

I've tried a couple of different mask-mounted torches. I don't like the faffing around required to attach and detach them but quite handy as supplemental lighting. Perhaps best used for night diving as a second torch?

I believe there are a few wrist/back of hand mounts for torches, often made of thin neprene and perhaps intended for spearing. An interesting option to consider if you prefer or need to keep your hands free.

Since someone already mentioned a few of our lights as possible solutions, I hope it is OK to follow up. There is a huge difference in light output between our 630 lm light and the "mini Dive light". If someone wants a very small light that is EXTREMELY secure and unobtrusive, the mini light which uses a very light and strong stainless steel mount is something I can recommend.

this particular light turns on by screwing down the rear cap - there is no external switch. With just a tiny bit of experimentation, you can adjust the light so that it automatically turns on at depth and turns off at shallower depths. The water pressure provides just a tiny bit of compression and it is enough to turn the light on and off. Of course, you can "tighten" it down and it will stay on, but the self-actuation mode is something we discovered by accident when using the light.

Not sure how important it is in diving, but any head mounted light will not cast shadows visible to the eye of the wearer. No shadows means no depth, so you'll not be able to judge the distance to the rock/fish/rope visually.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi. Thank you for all of your reply. A lot of interesting ideas.

However, I am not wearing mark and only nose clip during freediving depth training. There this one deep trench which always dark after 10-15m. I usually feel paranoid when it got too dark and couldn't get back to my relaxation state. I usually train FIM as I can still feel the line on my way to targeted depth. I never tried wrist neoprene torch mount yet but saw some sold online. But I want the light just to shine on the line while I'm going down. So I ousted that option.

I think I still want to find a way to mount torch on either hood or on chest (if there any kind of mount which does that) like ironman.

Thank you for all the replies. Looking forward for any recommendation.

Thanks

Decathlon once made a chest mounted light for trail running. Of course it's not meant for diving, but perhaps you could draw ideas from it and build your own.

Hood-mounted, Mako has a mini light, so does OrcaTorch and some others. You could sew a simple neoprene loop on your wetsuit's hood and stick it in. Don't forget to check the depth ratings of those lights.

You could of course send Alexy Molchanov a message to ask which light he used. I'm sure he's willing to share the info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT