• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Torch/UWflashlight

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ajwaverider

Jan 3, 2004
I have never used a torch before and I wondering if it would help
me in low viz water.I know alot of people use them in decent viz to see inside of caves and under ledges but say the viz is two feet,how much more will I be able to see in that two feet?I don't
want to get anything bigger than a standard size flashlight so
those big flood lights are not an option.Also are led lights comparable to krypton lights?

if the visibility is only 2 feet you can use the torch to bumb to the fishe's head :head rofl you will not need gun anymore ;)

omer moonlight elite has tough allu. cover:D

Originally posted by Murat
if the visibility is only 2 feet you can use the torch to bumb to the fishe's head you will not need gun anymore ;)

Tell me about it Murat! I don't know how long it will take to clear up here:(.Hopefully soon.

Never had to use a flashlight till I started diving here. In certain conditions, it's indispensable.

If you're doing a lot of ledge hunting, definitely give it a try. If your quarry isn't spooked by the light, the advantage is worth it.

If any of you are considering night dives, and have the cash to get the best:

Green Force Torches.

Man's answer to the solar flare, a light that not only brightens the nights dive, but also acts as an anti-aircraft spotting light.

I used one on a dive in a Marine reserve, and almost didnt need the flash on my camera!

Physically its very small, but divers refer to it as the "big f&ck-off torch". Wreck divers swear by it.

If low viz is due to lack of light, of course, a flashlight should help. But if low viz is because there are lots of particles in the water, with a very bright light, all you'll see is brighter particles and it won't help your situation much.

Not sure whats on the market now but my UK600 I've had for over 15 years has never leaked on me and always provided enough light in clear water at night. On larger flashlights I'd recommend the "lantern" grip ones. The ones with pistol grip will fatigue your wrist just like a nose-heavy speargun. I think they also make grips that can change from a pistol to a lantern grip vice versa.

Gil

Originally posted by GilbertG.
If low viz is due to lack of light, of course, a flashlight should help. But if low viz is because there are lots of particles in the water, with a very bright light, all you'll see is brighter particles and it won't help your situation much.
Gil

Like Gil says, I learned the same thing in dirty viz. - I typically use a Ikelite PCa - very bright for it's size & if need be, you can still pinch your nose while holding it. I went out & bought a UK Light Cannon a few months ago thinking it would help out & the first time I used it was in some pretty bad viz up here. When I flicked it on, the backscatter(light reflecting on suspended particles) nearly blinded me. Holding the light away to the side a bit helps much like strobe arms on an underwater camera, but it's hard to do in tight cracks.

You can get the PCa from leisurepro for about $20. It's a nice little light & has a bright light. Cheap, bright, & small enough to not be a nuisance when diving.

UW flashlight is used for cave hunting, nothing else... Other than that its useless for spearing

I am thinking of buying a torch for freediving (whilst looking for lobsters - so I guess "gun-less" diving). and also for night spearfishing.

I can get a PCa from scubastore for not very much cash. Is this the best value for £30 -ish ?

Moving up to about £50 I can get a Halcyon Scout.

Moving up further ... I started to look at the Green Force and Kowlaski on scubastore.

Any views on spending money on torches ?

Proably only go out for an hour or so - but would be keen to get a minimum of 2 hour burn time.

Also keen to get as close to daylight value light as possible - 5200k would be nice...

So in terms of design for scuba-less diving what do you think ? A single box like Kowslwski or an umbilical like GF ?

Or just stay cheap and get a PCa ?

Help !

(I have used the pistol grip torches - D4 from my cousin - and dont like them, too heavy on the wrist - too large.... yellow light ... etc)

Help !

Ed

Halcyon just came out with an LED upgrade bulb for their Scout lights. I might be jst the ticket for. Something small, yet bright.

If you wanted to go with something a little bit bigger, then you might look at the hand held HID light from U.K.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT