• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

torches...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi
I want a new torch for short distance cave and rock hunting, do you have any suggestions? Omer's Moonlight 9V is currently heading my list. But I'm always open to new ideas.
so any torch users :)

Again, Omers Moonlight 9V has given lots of problems. Besides the normal moonlight is awesome anyway. What do you want to cook the fish in the cave with 9V

Sporasub has a nice little torch as well. With proper switch not Magnetised.

I use the Princeton Tec Miniwave, 4 C, thirtysomething dollars, and the Princeton Tec Tec 40, 4 AA, under $20. Either one works during the day for looking in holes. At night I carry both. The Tec 40 has more of a spot beam and the Miniwave has a softer, wider angle, more of a flood beam. I considered different styles, rechargeable vs. battery, brightness and battery life and settled for these when I realized I wasn't trying to light up a movie set and they both have a good, long battery life. I couldn't find a rechargeable that would last nearly long enough.

http://princetontec.com/

Thank you Shane, sporasub will be a good choice than.

Memo:
check out the technisub Raggio torch, it works very well, its simple and reliable.
And to create an ''automatic'' switch for the on/off, just attach an elastic/rubber band so that the switch returns to the ''off'' position when its not pushed forwards to the ''on'' position.

Roberto

what about technisub Lumen?

I'll ask the price of both..

Hey memo i am using the moonlight elite rechargable and its great never had any problem. Just don`t buy recharger coz it cost as much as torch itself. I just bought 6 AA rechargable battery and simple charger which cost me less than 20 dollars. It has both magent and spring system that ensure that it will not remain open. Since its powerfull it consume the battery very quickly but still efficient for at least two dives. But i recharge the batteries evey time to be a sure.

Hey shane what is the problem you had with the torch? May be its a factory fault...

its just too popular to meet a factory problem nowadays!!!

I highly recommend moonlight elite. I saw the light of normal moonlight and elite version side by side and it was awsome. Although in here guys whoes using technisub immediately changed the torches with elite. As i see technisub's torch are weaker and more tend to breakage. The head of the elite is alluminium which is one of the key features in cave hunting. Very durable, and has good linkage with plastic o ring. Just remember to apply silicon grease after every two or three open. It had also has good switch mechanism. The only part you have to change is elastic wrist band. It is not good, o ring does not keep it tight. But you can change it easily with white elastic material that you can buy from hardware store easily. I tried elite in night (from the window of the house and beam is effective more than 100 meters may be 200.... But if you say that much light annoy the fishes.... Personally never saw that light anoy the groupers but it annoy other light sensitive fishes. But i think even if you buy less powerfull torch it will annoy them anyway...

I'm waiting for the price list... I'll make a decision after taking the prices. But I guess we will make the decision all together :D

As I mentioned, the raggio is very reliable, Ive used for years (as many friends too) and it worked well (use and abuse with no faillures). Allu case would give a torch an additional protection, but again, then lets see the price factor.
In order to get a better/stronger light, just change to more powerful bulbs (halo or so)

Roberto

hi

One of my old dive buddies had a torch which was activated by water pressure. So when you dive to say, 5m then the torch switches on. He mounted it to his 75cm cave gun. Can't remember why he stopped using it though.

I also own a omer moonlight and had hell trying to change the baterries. Salt build up on the o ring prevented me from removing the front part. Ended up putting it in a vice. Works now, just needs regular stripping and cleaning.

A hint for shooting in dark caves: When you're decending, close one eye. When you look into the cave, open the eye. This helps adjust your eyes to the dark. I use this method and don't bother with the torch anymore. I found that most of our fish are scared by the light and i hate having the torch hanging from my wrist!!

regards
miles

I use a similar approach by closing both eyes while approaching the cave in top down position, I opened the eyes just as I enter a position that I could see the darkness and this helps too. But somethimes, conditions need some artificial light :)

Don't you bump your head on rocks when you close your eyes:head rofl

No mate, just put my free hand on the edge and then slowly let the body slide :)

but of course accidents happen :D

Here comes the price list...

Sporasub Luna -- 45euro
Technisub Raggio -- 65euro
Technisub Lumen -- 50euro
Omer Moonlight 9V -- 40euro
Omer Moonlight Elite -- 75euro

all prices include vat. So lets decide!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT