• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Totemsub Tahiti question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

anton

May 28, 2004
Tahiti owners,
I have been having fun with my tahihti and am playing around with it now a bit. I was wondering if any of you have rigged your Tahiti 120's with a breakaway instead of reel for larger fish. If so, how did you go about doing it. I was thinking if I put a simple velco tie tight around the butt end, out of the way of the trigger mech I could slip the end tie through this and still it would effectively release when the hit is made... I would appreciate any photos of such setups if anyone has done them.

Also, have anyone found a 7mm shaft that works with the tahiti that is decent like the original but has loading tabs and/or sharkfin tabs AND removable heads ??? What do you use as a shaft (> 6.5mm) if you use a slip tip????

BTW
I finally worked out a way (low tech) to block the reel unless I want it to deploy (the tightener doesn't always hold. I simply took some dyneema about 5.5 cm and put fixed loops in either end. One loop I put into the heel of the handle where there is an existing loop and the other I made double (so it doesn't slip down inside the mech and get stuck) and I loop over the reel handle. If I see a fish I know I will need the reel for, I slip off the loop. If not, I leave it in place and then if I end up needing the reel after the shot, I just flick it off with my finger. After much though of lines, levers, tighteners.... I ended up with a loop of string but it works :)

I plan to go out Friday to test the reel again... wreck area about 30m depth with the wrecks coming up to about 6m... large jacks, golden trevally, kings... If we can have decent viz then it will be a nice BBQ on Sat.

Lucky you , BBQ is impossible in France today...rain rain and rain...but fishes (specailly oratas) are on the mood...we'll see this saturday (and the BBQ will wait for a descent day)

in that respect I am lucky :) 25-30, not a cloud in the sky. Now, if we didn't have 95% humidity all night it would be even better.

The water has dropped to 29 now so I have to wear more than my speedo again ;-( The fish are coming in though. Even saw some 5kg or so jacks on a weekend shore dive (scuba, not hunting) in about 14 m.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT