• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training 100%?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fpernett

Nov 7, 2001
When Eric Fattah explain us his FRC diving method, it was logical to me, at least for training. Then my brother and I start to experiment with another modality that is to train always around 90-100%. In that way we do less repetitions but of higher intensity.
For example, my brother did 2 static apneas of 7'30" with 6' recovery interval, and that's all for the day. I did it the same way but just 5'30".
Anybody have tried that?

experiment with another modality that is to train always around 90-100%. In that way we do less repetitions but of higher intensity. For example, my brother did 2 static apneas of 7'30" with 6' recovery interval, and that's all for the day. I did it the same way but just 5'30".

I've noticed that others do a small ventilation of less than 1 minute and then can jump up to their PB. Are you guys doing 'priming' of any sort before your 90-100%? Are you changing your ventilation pattern prior to the breath hold (ei. long/slow ventilation ---> hyperventilation --> breath hold) or is it strictly hyperventilation (or hypo?) throughout the recovery (or priming) period? After I read your post I tried it (no where near you numbers :( ), and i found it difficult to get to my pb. I thought to myself that if increase my recovery period by double that i would get pretty close to my pb but i got to only about <70%. discomfort was much higher.

I think that doing it 90-100% once/twice each day is good for maintaining the numbers you already have, but as for trying to get a little longer. . . . well, i dunno. I just started doing this for a little over a month and building up in small increments seems to work better for me. I'd like to say that your bodies are more apt to switch to apnea mode a lot sooner than mine.

one other note. I don't know if you notice this for yourself but for me when I have long recovery periods, my body moves in the trajectory of shallow breathing --> longer deeper breathing --> 5 sec in, 10 second out --> hold. any thoughts? would it better to trying to keep the ventilation constant?

-blacking out rofl

Mark .k

Hi Mark,
You could be right in some thing, we are doing this seriously for 3-4 years, and in a recreative way around 27 years (I'm 33), so it's possible that this work for us, but not to everybody. When I started this threat I mean it in all modalities (Dynamic and CW also).
We breath at the same rythm all the time, and we use a "belly" breathing with a rate around 20-22 b/min.
I noticed that when I'm in competition, I hyperventilate more than usual in the last 30 secs. Now, because of the constant ventilation rate I don't have this problem.
With this kind of training, mainly in static, the firs apnea is really hard, but the second is much better.
I think that the only way to improve the 100% is to be around it, to force adaptations in the body.
Just an idea

We breath at the same rythm all the time, and we use a "belly" breathing with a rate around 20-22 b/min.

so one breath cycle every 3 seconds? Wow. I can barely get a full exhale in less than 5 seconds!! So i'm curious now, what is your heart rate like?

I think that the only way to improve the 100% is to be around it, to force adaptations in the body.

I'm starting to see your point a bit. This morning I was trying for a new pb today of 4'. here was my warm up attempt.
ventilation | Breath hold
mins sec | mins sec
2' 0" | 1' 0"
2' 15" | 1' 30"
2' 30" | 2' 0"
2' 45" | 2' 30"
3' 0" | 3' 0"
3' 15" | 3' 30"
3' 30" | 4' 0"

Gosh was it quite a struggle but when i hit it i was so proud, considering that 2'45" was my pb about 3 weeks ago. But 7 recovery periods! quite a lot! After i went out for a while and came back i wanted to see if it could hit the mark again with less recovery periods.
mins sec | mins sec
2' 30" | 2' 0"
3' 0" | 3' 0"
3' 30" | 4' 0"
I'll have to say that getting to 3' was surprisingly easy and 4' was a little less difficult. I don't feel as 'zoned out' as the first try. So I quess what i'm thinking is if you are hitting your pb daily, it should be easier, and then maybe you should open up your warm up a little so that it looks like this:
mins sec | mins sec
4' 30" | 5' 30"
5' 0" | 5' 45"
5' 30" | 6' 0"

or like this

mins sec | mins sec
4' 30" | 5' 0"
5' 0" | 5' 30"
5' 30" | 6' 0"
6' 0" | 6' 30/45"

Already within a day i have been able to hit my pb twice, the second time with less recovery periods. So i'd like to imagine the progession forward is like a catapillar which contracts and expands yet continues forward. possibly another way to work your body around the 90-100% marker is to slowly reduce the ventilation periods.
So instead of doig 60-80% daily and doing 90-100% once in a while, one should strive to do what is necessary to achieve 90-100% each and every time. sooner or later your pb will get more comfortable and then you can push a little further and set your new pb.

hope that made some sense,
Mark. k

Last edited:
Yes Mark, that's the idea.
Now we need to figure out what will be the weekly intensity of this kind of training, I think twice a day is to strenous for the body, because you need to recovery, also put attention on your diet, hydration and sleep. Training at 100% make easy to get ill.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT