• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training day!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
I'd like to propose that we get together for some line-training and any other sort of info sharing that we can do. There are a few noobs in Alberta this year- it would be good to meet, get together, and have a decent day in the water. Every toime we've done this in the past it has been really fun.
Twin Lake Park is the obvious choice as it's reasonably central, has decent vis, is deep, has stuff to see, and we can go shoot some fish after if we are so inclined.
We can discuss techniques about how to improve ie: efficient surface diving, equalizing, weighting, safety etc.
It would need to be a Saturday, I'm thinking June but not June 7 as I'm off on the KLR down the forestry road for 3 days.
Warmly,
Erik

Reactions: jay cluskey
I'm in and free any saturday in June. Could us out of towners camp out at Twin?

Twin has great sites to camp at and it's cheap. I don't remember seeing a water pump there so bring all the potable water you need.

i'm there as long as i don't have work, if i do ill try my best to say i have to go to the doctors and still get it off. what do i need to bring??? i don't have anything so i guess ill need a wet suit, gloves, socks, and a weight belt. ill just stick to my scuba fins for now and maybe i can try out some of the guns people bring if its ok with the owners :)

is there anything else that i need?? anything else

is there a place to get used wet suits and is it worth it or do i have to bite it and get a new one

I can't speak for the others but you're certainly welcome to try my speargun.

I would recommend you get a true freedive suit, a used scuba suit will leave you cold and uncomfortable. It's really worth the extra $ to track down a freedive one if your going to be doing any amount of diving.

We'll be watching the ice out at minewanka with an eye to getting out there in the next couple weeks. I'll post a thread when the water is open.

I can't speak for the others but you're certainly welcome to try my speargun.

I would recommend you get a true freedive suit, a used scuba suit will leave you cold and uncomfortable. It's really worth the extra $ to track down a freedive one if your going to be doing any amount of diving.

We'll be watching the ice out at minewanka with an eye to getting out there in the next couple weeks. I'll post a thread when the water is open.

sweet thanks....

ok big news i'm going to vancouver for mothers day. there must be a place there that is having a sale on freediving suits that i can check out???
maybe even try one on !!!!!

what am i suposed to get a 7 mm open cell ??

maybe i should make a new post about shopping in vancouver??

Madprops a 5mm or 7mm suit is what you'll need. And a scuba suit wont cut it! Waste of money.
There is nowhere in Canada to buy a freedive suit, at least at a reasonable price as far as I know. Talk to jimdoe2you or check the Deeperblue shop. Gloves and neo socks are on the list too.... you can get cheap stuff at Mountain Equipment Co-op that will do, but better to get the apnea gear.
Bring whatever you've got- we always share gear as much as possible, so you will get to try some big fins or guns or whatever else is around. What size are you? I have a 3mm and a 5mm suit you could try out if it fits.

I haven't heard much about the Mares freedive suits, but have heard a few complaints. Sporasub makes good suits AFAIK, I've seen a few and the were high quality. The suit in the Spora link is a Mares for some reason...
A 5mm is a good weight, and you can add a 3mm vest later for really cold stuff.
OMER makes some good suits too- look up Mark Labocetta on here, and again jimdoe2you for excellent gear and service. These guys give personal service that you may not get elsewhere. Send a PM with what you're looking for and your price range.

Since you're buying a rack suit, make sure that you know the measurements of any suit you get! If you are slim or skinny, better to go with a smaller suit that hugs you but might be a little short in the arms/legs. You do not want any room for water to enter and sit ion the suit, especially in your torso.
That's where actually talking to a seller will help too.

ok ill msg them but what about this one???

Cressi World Competition 7 mm. Suits Apnea, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

its from the deeperblue store and its in my price range
and some people that bought it said good things ??? on top of all this i need a good mask it doesn't matter how much it is as long as it is cheap lol and something for my feet and hands i guess. so i'm thinking if i get everything from the deeper blue store then ill save on the shipping.

so does it really matter what brand of feet and hand cover i get ??
if it is what should i be looking for

You should really consider a custom suit. Not much more cost than these other offerings. Elios is consistently good. Would need 4 weeks to get it though. What is your approximate build?

Hey Dudes!! Im totally down for a link-up!! I need to get the learnin' on!! ITS ALL IVE BEEN ABLE TO THINK ABOUT LATELY!, Since Erik lent me his fins and gun. I work sunday nights so ill have to pop smoke on the sunday morning tho :(. MADPROPS about the suit and kit, Im gonna pimp out Jim too, from the spearfishing store. He is a rad dude with good prices and is really knowledgeable about kit and sizes. I would talk to him bro. I got a beauchat green camo for way cheaper than anywhere else from him. He even called me and explained/answered all my questions about everything. Any ways keep me informed dudes. PM me if anything changes or becomes concrete.

Last edited:
ok ill msg them but what about this one???

Cressi World Competition 7 mm. Suits Apnea, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

its from the deeperblue store and its in my price range
and some people that bought it said good things ??? on top of all this i need a good mask it doesn't matter how much it is as long as it is cheap lol and something for my feet and hands i guess. so i'm thinking if i get everything from the deeper blue store then ill save on the shipping.

so does it really matter what brand of feet and hand cover i get ??
if it is what should i be looking for

Good mask: Beauchat Micromask Beuchat Micro Max. Masks Masks, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba
Cressi Superoccio Cressi Superocchio. Masks Masks, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba
A good glove can make or break your day. About 40$ would get you a decent glove Beuchat Semidry Beuchat Semidry 5 mm Gloves. Accessories Gloves, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

Any sock will do- 5mm good up here, better to get one that has some rubber on the outside at the top to seal to the pantleg, but not imperative.

You should really consider a custom suit. Not much more cost than these other offerings. Elios is consistently good. Would need 4 weeks to get it though. What is your approximate build?

i'm 6 foot 1 and a half inches
about 180 lbs

i have a fit build with not alot of fat

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT